Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Senor_Nismo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Senor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
s14 Kaaz vs Nismo LSD

Im mainly going for the Kaaz 2 Way, since the price right now is awesome, I am droping an 98 LS1/T56 in my S14 for competition.

any opinions on the KAAZ 2 Way or Nismo 2 Way would be appreciated.
Senor_Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I love my KAAZ. I'm running about 400whp through one and its put up with it for a couple years now; with events often. I really think the key was a thorough break-in + changing the oil there after and then change the fluid every 1500 or so hard miles.

People who complain about the noise must have issues with theirs or don't realize what they've signed up for. It's a 2-way. You're gonna hear the loading and unloading of a sprung drivetrain everytime you send a load back there (giggity; lol).

If you're looking for something to drift with ("competition"), this guy will perform like a champ. If you're a road course guy, then I might get an opinion from someone who's adjusted the engagement pressure. When it grabs, it pulls two tires; trust me....

Garage Entry - YouTube

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
koukikat180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
koukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to koukikat180sx
I had a Nismo in my s13, it was a lot quieter than the Kaaz... I can't really comment on performance since I only went to one event with a Kaaz. One thing to take into consideration... Kaaz is local and you can always get the unit rebuilt and they have parts for it on hand. I would have rebuilt my Nismo LSD if I could remember exactly what model I had. But I did manage to source our some prices on the rebuilt kit for various models, and it wasn't really cost effective. I don't remember the exact price, but if I remember correctly, if I paid a little more I could just buy a brand new Kaaz.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Nismo is definitely quieter than KAAZ for sure. I am assuming you will be drifting with your car since you are getting 2way?

I've had Nismo one before and currently I am using KAAZ and I would get Nismo if $ wasn't the issue.

Nismo diff locks up like butter !!!!

You are not supposed to put synthetic oil in KAAZ differential and that's one of main disadvantage of having KAAZ as well.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Kaomon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (77)
Kaomon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 77 reviews
honestly speaking, both diffs are great! You won't regret either choice as long as you do regular fluid maintenance.

However in current times, I would definitely get a kaaz over a nismo. Why you may ask? The nismo 2-way diffs has been discontinued for a while; though you can still probably get a brand new one from old dead stock from someone which then shouldn't be a problem as it will perform how a 2-way will perform. With that being said, if you're not buying either one brand new, go with kaaz. Reason being since the nismo diffs are discontinued, finding rebuilt kits (clutch sets) are a PITA and costly if you ever want to have it rebuilt. Kaaz on the other hand is still making diffs and in the event that you want/need to have your diff rebuilt, you can still order the rebuilt kit if necessary or otherwise you can send it to kaaz (in Cali) to have it rebuild. But besides that, both will do fine.

If anyone can chime in on finding Nismo 2-way street rebuild kit, please do so as it would be beneficial to me but as others as well if needed be.
Kaomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
CARBONETICS/ATS AND ACROSS > everything.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Kaomon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (77)
Kaomon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 77 reviews
^^^^ what he said! I should of got an ATS deftforce when i have the chance :/ Lol. It's clunks like no other diff and it also locks really hard.. sigh
Kaomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
koukikat180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

koukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukikat180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaomon View Post
If anyone can chime in on finding Nismo 2-way street rebuild kit, please do so as it would be beneficial to me but as others as well if needed be.
you can always ask swayray. that's who i sourced my pricing from...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd heard Carbonetics were pretty good street diffs, but I was curious about the SuperQ 1.5 way. Any superQ really, are they that much quieter?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Senor_Nismo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Senor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enoughSenor_Nismo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
basically my ls1 was crap so im building a stroker at school, maybe ballpark 500 to 700 hp depending on the fuel management I put oin the engine. Im leaning toward the kaaz 2 way quaife, for 1200 its worth it. the guys at Kaaz are very helpful too.
Senor_Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
You are not supposed to put synthetic oil in KAAZ differential and that's one of main disadvantage of having KAAZ as well.
I may be wrong, but far as I can remember my Kaaz fluid was synthetic.

Even if it wasn't, I've been running synthetic in it for the past few months and did one drift event. Clunks less than it ever did and still works.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
ShadowDrifter
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (55)
ShadowDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
I ran both and I have a nismo one right now sooooooo much better and super fast lock up i go with the nismo if I were you
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Saddly when people read Nismo they think of the cheap ass $400 2 way that everyone on earth has back in 2002... however there are several Nismo LSDs.

Cheap ass old $400 Nismo (R200) that can't be re-built because, well its cheep outdated shit... cast body.
However they sell a new version for $900+ hahaha... semi cast body

Nismo SSS - changed the game of LSDs, great and IIRC Nismo still supports the rebuilds... semi cast body.

Nismo GT/ GT Pro/ GT Pro TT - yeah... This diff kills everything available. Basic GT is great, GT Pro has adjustable ingaugement and adjustable 1.5-2 way/ and the TT is specifically designed for Track/ Time Attack.
Fully Polished Body.

And its avalable in Carbon...

Kaaz - has always been great and always refining their work, but if your wanting the best and your going to spend over $1k.. get the Nismo GT/ Pro/ TT.

Last edited by MadScientist; 08-10-2012 at 10:05 PM..
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackS14 View Post
I'd heard Carbonetics were pretty good street diffs, but I was curious about the SuperQ 1.5 way. Any superQ really, are they that much quieter?
Super-Q is the quietest diff made, period. Not even a question.

There is NO BREAK-IN either.

Locks hard. Sounds OEM. No break-in = best street car diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
I may be wrong, but far as I can remember my Kaaz fluid was synthetic.

Even if it wasn't, I've been running synthetic in it for the past few months and did one drift event. Clunks less than it ever did and still works.
KAAZ fluid is NOT synthetic, and no diff (to my knowledge) should run synthetic fluid. The synthetic fluids cause a film to form over the little clutches in the diff, causing them to slip/not work properly, if I do so recall.

I may be a tad off on the explanation, but I would suggest not running synthetic if you can avoid. Won't effect driveability short-term, but will cause the life of your diff to shorten.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
nismo sss 2-way/1.5way which I have uses 80-90w synthetic

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
flying squirrel

flying squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
Super-Q is the quietest diff made, period. Not even a question.

There is NO BREAK-IN either.

Locks hard. Sounds OEM. No break-in = best street car diff.

KAAZ fluid is NOT synthetic, and no diff (to my knowledge) should run synthetic fluid. The synthetic fluids cause a film to form over the little clutches in the diff, causing them to slip/not work properly, if I do so recall.

I may be a tad off on the explanation, but I would suggest not running synthetic if you can avoid. Won't effect driveability short-term, but will cause the life of your diff to shorten.
usually the manufacture picks the fluid you run with there product.
flying squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Kouki_Mnster
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Kouki_Mnster can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're a local, I say go KAAZ its price effective, its a solid diff that works well and if you have any issues or need a repair its down the street for you.

I have a KAAZ and it works really well and the chatter is really not a big deal.

Also Always Use KAAZ Oil, dont cheap out just use the stuff it was designed to work with.
Kouki_Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #18
bmg671
Leaky Injector

bmg671 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup go with Kaaz, im running the super Q and i dont regret it!
Its actually quiet, and also try using the manufactures oil when changing fluids
bmg671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Psychomoongoose
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Psychomoongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a Kaaz Super-Q 1.5 and its really quiet, the clunking isnt that often and its really barely noticeable. Its got about 3500 miles on it, mostly street but some drift. I would definitely recommend this diff because its serviceable in the USA.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
i dont know about kaaz but compared to my cusco 2way my friends nismo gt is super quite.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
why not OS Giken? those diffs are really nice for street and competition.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
ShadowDrifter
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (55)
ShadowDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
why not OS Giken? those diffs are really nice for street and competition.
becasue most of us don't have 1500 plus just for a diff
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
SuperBlackS14
Zilvia Junkie

SuperBlackS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't the OSGiken diffs also need 5 bolt axels? I mean I knew the kaaz unit was rebuild able and that the given one was expensive but amazing... But I had thought it would be more cost prohibitive for me at least to change axels as well
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
ForteS13

ForteS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
i recommend a 1.5 imho obx work pretty good and not that expensive, right now i drift with an open diff i way a welded one that works like a two way but the understeer it creates its scary.
ForteS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Both diffs are great options and will work well for what you need. From out experience the Nismo will be the quieter of the two, if that matters to you. Like a couple others have said, changing your fluid will help keep some noise down and will definitely extended the life of your diff.

We have built several LSx swap 240's and used a Tomei 2way in all of them but one were the customer requested OS Giken. All those cars including our own Tra-Kyoto coupe have had zero problems with the Tomei's. Just another option to think about, plus they are typically cheaper.

Short Video of our car at a near by drift day.
DD33 MWC - Tandem Final - Drift day 33 Midwest cup - YouTube

Another video of our car using the same diff but for roadracing.
Blackhawk Farms Raceway - LS1 240SX chasing 72 Vette - YouTube

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #26
PancerzSX

PancerzSX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PancerzSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefactory View Post
We have built several LSx swap 240's and used a Tomei 2way in all of them but one were the customer requested OS Giken. All those cars including our own Tra-Kyoto coupe have had zero problems with the Tomei's. Just another option to think about, plus they are typically cheaper.
I've heard from a few reliable sources that the Tomei diff is simply a remarketed KAAZ. I've got a KAAZ 1.5way and I Love it. I'd like a 2 way but I drive my car to work far more than it makes it to the track so it doesn't bother me too much. plus I got it on a tasty deal
PancerzSX is offline   Reply With Quote