Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Brandon240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Brandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust ground wire???

While under my car trying to get my tranny in, I noticed a ground on my heat shield. The wire looks like it was cut. Anyone have any idea what this was for? Just curious. Seems like an odd place for a ground
Brandon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
majgoldfish

Trader Rating: (5)
majgoldfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There are several other grounds like this on the underside of the car, I would reconnect the ground. Nissan wouldn't have spent the money to put it there unless there was a good reason.
majgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #3
Brandon240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Brandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choicesBrandon240sx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by majgoldfish View Post
There are several other grounds like this on the underside of the car, I would reconnect the ground. Nissan wouldn't have spent the money to put it there unless there was a good reason.

I would if I knew what it was from lol
Brandon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
It might have been for the oxygen sensor. Usually exhaust is touching engine and can ground this way, however there may be some kind of rubber isolation in the area(s) where oxygen sensors are installed. I can't see the ground having much to do with any of the other in car electronics. It might also just be acting as an electron "drain" of sorts, keeping the exhaust the same potential as the rest of the car to prevent some kind of buildup. I know from reading physics book that some race cars generate enough of an electron buildup in their chassis/tires to come back to the pits and cause a huge spark from the discharge, igniting fuel and causing mayhem etc...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote