Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
s14joe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
s14joe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch or Tranny? My car won't go into gear.. Help Please

I have never had a clutch go bad on me before so I'm not exactly sure if it's the clutch or the tranny.

My problem is when I push the clutch down and try and put it into gear it just won't. I have to play w/ the clutch and and try to fiddle so it will go into gear. This first happend to me on the highway then on the street. It's like something is blocking me from going into gear. The clutch pedal feels fine.I have to get lucky for it to go into gear. I was lucky to make it home today. As of now the car is not driveable.
s14joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
is it in ANY gear? It sounds like a clutch problem to me.

Is your clutch pedal softer than normal? WHILE PARKED, if you put your car in first gear(engine off) and then KEEP the clutch pedal pushed to the floor. Then try to start the car, in first gear, with the pedal to the floor. Does the car want to jump forward?
NOTE---- Do this in a wide open area, with NOTHING around so you dont run anyone over, or crash into anything IF it does try to "go" when you start it.

Have you even checked your clutch fluid?(its on the drivers side of the car, next to the brake fluid)
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
you prob have issues with your clutch hydraulic system.

i recommend just jacking the rear up the ground to do that test... a little easier on the drivetrain.

basically jack up the rear. put something by the front tires to make sure it won't roll. put the car in 1st gear with your foot firmly on the clutch pedal. start the car. have your buddy check if the rear wheels move. if they do, your clutch is not fully disengaging.

check:
clutch pedal play
fluid level
clutch master clyinder
clutch slave clyinder
etc.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

shayrgob240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shayrgob240
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
you prob have issues with your clutch hydraulic system.

i recommend just jacking the rear up the ground to do that test... a little easier on the drivetrain.

basically jack up the rear. put something by the front tires to make sure it won't roll. put the car in 1st gear with your foot firmly on the clutch pedal. start the car. have your buddy check if the rear wheels move. if they do, your clutch is not fully disengaging.

check:
clutch pedal play
fluid level
clutch master clyinder
clutch slave clyinder
etc.
good call! my bet's on clutch pedal play. Try adjusting it.
shayrgob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
240silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
240silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240silvia
Def. a clutch problem. Try adjusting it first, if that doesn't work, you'll probably have to replace it.
240silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
s14joe
Leaky Injector

**Update** I noticed that if I push the clutch in all the way I can't shift,but if I lift the clutch a bit I am able to get into gear. Also when the car is off I am able to move the shifter in and out of gear.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
shayrgob240
Zilvia Junkie

shayrgob240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shayrgob240
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14joe
**Update** I noticed that if I push the clutch in all the way I can't shift,but if I lift the clutch a bit I am able to get into gear. Also when the car is off I am able to move the shifter in and out of gear.
wow! that's just weird.
shayrgob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That's a clutch issue. You probably popped a spring. Same thing happened to me.
Go get a new clutch.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
apexi240sx
Zilvia Member

apexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to apexi240sx
Haha i had the same problem..TWICE!! the 1st it was the clutch master cylinder,, leaking nasty style!!! replaced that bled the air and it was fine, the 2nd time..... the t/o bearing had engraved itself into the clutch cover's teeth my mechanic buddy had to trucker shift my car to his house!! right now all im left is with very notchy shifting.....
apexi240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
s14joe
Leaky Injector

Master cylinder is fine. It just doesn't shift at all when I push the clutch, like it's saying " your denied"!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I noticed that if I push the clutch in all the way I can't shift,but if I lift the clutch a bit I am able to get into gear.
never had that happen to me... should prob listen to mr. meph. still, jack up the car and step on the clutch. make sure the slave cylinder is extending.

Quote:
Also when the car is off I am able to move the shifter in and out of gear.
this part is normal for a clutch hydraulic issue. when the car is off, the tranny internals aren't spinning, so you can put it in gear.

when your hydraulics are shot, the clutch won't disengage from the flywheel. that means that the clutch is always engaged, so the tranny internals are spinning. whenever you try to shift gears, you are basically attempting to clutchless shift.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
s14joe
Leaky Injector

I also wanted to add that the shifter makes some noise except when I press the clutch down. So would a new clutch be my best bet?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

check hydraulics first. if the hydr is working properly, then new clutch is probably in order as mr. meph suggested.

whirring noise could be clutch related, or it could be a worn bearing inside the tranny.

you posted this on ifx too, right? i just realized i've been giving you advice on two forums.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #14
s14joe
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
check hydraulics first. if the hydr is working properly, then new clutch is probably in order as mr. meph suggested.

whirring noise could be clutch related, or it could be a worn bearing inside the tranny.

you posted this on ifx too, right? i just realized i've been giving you advice on two forums.
yeah I post this on like 3 forums, it's really annoying because I just got my car back from the paintshop today and then this isht happend.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
s14joe
Leaky Injector

Ok, playing with it today I noticed that if I press the clutch all the way down the car wants to stall,but if I let off the clutch a bit it feels better. Like i said earlier I have to let off the clutch a at least half way to get it to go into gear.