Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
S13 vs S14 timing cover and components

So im pretty sure the s13 and s14 timing chain and components are identical. can anyone confirm this? I want to buy a Nissan timing kit but the s13 kit is a lot cheaper than the s14

Im pretty sure the timing cover is different between the two but what about the chains sprockets and guides?
for a ka24de engine

Last edited by kyral; 02-20-2017 at 09:21 AM..
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Different part #'s for both which usually means they are different. & I'm pretty sure I remember reading something way back that the S14 is cast differently for an additional gallery to supply the vtc...
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
So im pretty sure the s13 and s14 timing chain and components are identical. can anyone confirm this? I want to buy a Nissan timing kit but the s13 kit is a lot cheaper than the s14

Im pretty sure the timing cover is different between the two but what about the chains sprockets and guides?

The fact that the prices are different should indicate that they're different lol.

I figured it would have been a dead giveaway.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
All SR20 be it front or rear well drive share the same timing components and oil pump gear (so S13 through S15 are the same)

The timing differences are the updated chain tensioner and the metal backed (straight) timing chain guide.

The chain tensioner has a finner tooth count for 97 onwards. That's it

Also on that a RWD crank can be used in a FWD SR20 sans GTI-r. Nissan FAST has the same part number for both.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
The oil however is different between the S13 and the S14 as as mentioned above, the S14 is cast with the VTC port
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
All SR20 be it front or rear well drive share the same timing components and oil pump gear (so S13 through S15 are the same)

The timing differences are the updated chain tensioner and the metal backed (straight) timing chain guide.

The chain tensioner has a finner tooth count for 97 onwards. That's it

Also on that a RWD crank can be used in a FWD SR20 sans GTI-r. Nissan FAST has the same part number for both.
Am I missing something where he identified it as an SR?

I want to make sure I'm not off course here
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
Am I missing something where he identified it as an SR?

I want to make sure I'm not off course here
Nah, he didn't mention it. But someone commented on VTC, so wanted to clear that up.

But good call! I always forget about the KA lol

OP KA or SR??
Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Nah, he didn't mention it. But someone commented on VTC, so wanted to clear that up.

OP KA or SR??
I assumed SR as well...

Either way. KA24DE S13 & S14 covers are different mounting wise. It is either a dowl or bolt hole location based on the different heads. They look identical though.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

OP KA or SR??
KA my bad i always forget that. KA24DE.
And if the only differences is the timing covers then its not big deal cause the kit doesnt come with that.
Im more looking to see if all the chains, sprocket and tensioners are the same
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote