Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Headliner Material in Black. Where to find?

Been searching for a oem s14 style headliner material in satin black for a while but can't seem to find anything. I've been to all Joann's fabric stores in the area and a few smaller shops but have yet to see something similar.

I originally purchased a sheet of some black wool/felt type fabric that I thought would be good but I tried running a sticky roller over it to clean it up a bit and it started separating so figured that wouldn't be good for long term.

I've seen some people use suede but I'm not really into that... I've also seen the padded headliner fabric but not into that either. Really just want OEM headliner or deck lid style material in a satin black color. Has to be dense enough that the spray-on glue doesn't seep through and made so it doesn't shed and flake apart over time.

Anyone have feedback on online shops maybe? Sucks you can't see the material in person...was trying to avoid that but am willing to give it a shot if someone has experience with buying something like this online.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
mnight
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mnight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm redoing mine in black suede. I don't think you'll be able to get a true OEM material in black, I'm not sure that was offered. You could just dye yours black instead if it's in good enough shape for you. Never used an online shop for something like that.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Rambo slice
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Rambo slice is on the path to ruinRambo slice is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
local fabric or arts and crafts store
Rambo slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Jo Anne fabrics has contributed to more interiors than most people know. I've done 2 of my cars and about 10 of my friends with Jo Anne's help.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
S13MATT
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
S13MATT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I've done my headliner using Black fleece from Jo Ann.
S13MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like you're pretty set on the specific fabric style. I think your best bet is to just dye it. But before you do, make sure to research different methods of doing so. I've seen some threads on other forums where people have used a dye that you spray on with an air gun that seemed to work very well. I've also seen the packs of RIT at the supermarket, but I think that those require you to immerse the fabric in a boiling pot, so it might not be a good solution for a large piece of fabric.
And you can buy fabric dyes in an aerosol can. Not sure how well they work. I actually have a spare rear seat that I was going to try it out on just to see how well it works. Maybe if I get off my ass and actually do it I can report back then, haha.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
I've been to all JoAnn's and local fabric stores in the area. They have a black felt type material but it comes apart pretty easy and won't last long. Will not go anywhere near dye after seeing some results in person.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
az_240
Post Whore!

How about the stuff people use to wrap their sub enclosures? Is there a place that sells this in black or a very dark grey?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
WindyCity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
WindyCity is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray. trust me when i say it works and comes out amazing.
WindyCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
How about the stuff people use to wrap their sub enclosures? Is there a place that sells this in black or a very dark grey?
I've gotten stuff from ebay in the past for that, they come in all different shapes and sizes. IIRC the widest I ever saw was 48" though, Unsure if it would work or be wide enough for the liner though. We always put it on with spray adhesive too.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Green is for the money, Suede is for the honeys
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
az_240
Post Whore!

^is that faux suede? I imagine the real stuff is pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I've gotten stuff from ebay in the past for that, they come in all different shapes and sizes. IIRC the widest I ever saw was 48" though, Unsure if it would work or be wide enough for the liner though. We always put it on with spray adhesive too.
Yeah I'd need at least something ~55" in width. Plan to use 3m hi-strength 90 spray adhesive.

Last edited by az_240; 12-29-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray. trust me when i say it works and comes out amazing.
Used this shit on a headliner I had once, came out all crusty and hard. Would not recommend. I ended up wrapping with a suede material like was is posted above me and that worked good
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
_kouki_monster_
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
_kouki_monster_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A buddy of mine got a headliner material from jo ann fabrics that was black with a thin foamy backing on it. It seamed to work well for him.
_kouki_monster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
niscur29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
niscur29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Tweed from here: Your Auto Trim Store
Adhesive:

niscur29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kouki_monster_ View Post
A buddy of mine got a headliner material from jo ann fabrics that was black with a thin foamy backing on it. It seamed to work well for him.
The problem with a lot of this stuff is it doesn't have much UV protection. I've seen a few people mention fading with this headliner fabric and the faux suede after a year or two. Being in AZ this is something I'll need.