Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
jackleberryfin

Trader Rating: (0)
jackleberryfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s15 New Import some funny noises

Hey all, ive just imported an S15 into Australia and im noticing some annoying irregular noises.

I've managed to recreate one of the noises in the video below, listen for the "clinch" noise after each rev. This noise appears to be coming from the exhaust. My suspicion is that it is coming from the Cat which may have been tampered with. Another thought is that its coming from somewhere on the transmission.

The car is parked in neutral.

Weird Noise from the exhaust / transmission - YouTube

The other noise is while im driving, which roughly sounds like im driving with a nail in my tyre but it doesnt happen constantly. Also kinda sounds like small rocks flicking up. Suspicion is that my worn brake rotors and brake pads are causing this. i will know soon when i replace them. The noise could also be related to the exhaust noise from the first video. For a while i was worried my rim might have a crack in it causing the noise. (i am running very thin spacers, i think 10mm.... i havnt measured them). I have heard a noise similar on a mazda TX3 where the brake pad pins or clips were loose and it would make a clicky sound when going over bumps. however i have been unable to reproduce the sound at will.

The last thing is just a clip of my engine idling. I know SR20's are noisy, however i get paranoid and im likely to start pulling things apart. If you guys could just have a quick listen and give me your opinion.

Stock S15 engine Idle - YouTube

Please keep in mind these videos were recorded on my Galaxy S3. I imagine the sound quality isnt superb.

Thanks again!
jackleberryfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
jackleberryfin

Trader Rating: (0)
jackleberryfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bump, they are short videos
jackleberryfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
jackleberryfin