Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #631
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
do you guys recommend i remove my sway bar (tanabe rear sway bar pretty thick 27.5mm) ? Im starting to get into some autox and open track days but unsure about whether my setup is a good one. Also when is stiff too stiff? How can you tell?

Setup:
9k7k springs stance coilovers
front and rear sway bar
camber 2.0 all around 0 toe
tanabe rear sway bar 27.5 mm
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #632
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaSR20DET View Post
do you guys recommend i remove my sway bar (tanabe rear sway bar pretty thick 27.5mm) ? Im starting to get into some autox and open track days but unsure about whether my setup is a good one. Also when is stiff too stiff? How can you tell?

Setup:
9k7k springs stance coilovers
front and rear sway bar
camber 2.0 all around 0 toe
tanabe rear sway bar 27.5 mm

Personally I don't mind sway bars at all. You can tune the factor of oversteer understeer using dampening adjustments. AUTOX is a different creature from track. In AutoX you actually don't want any roll at all, that is if you want to be competitive. Tune also on the point of extreme oversteer for autoX cause our car tends to understeer going into turns.

9-7 is fine almost perfect. Too stiff isn't a problem with AUTOX at all. Now on the track too stiff means you don't have body roll to put pressure on the outer tires to grip. From my feeling, I think springs are TOO stiff if transitioning from low speed to mid speed to high speed turns makes the car feel absolutely different.

For an example I have 12-10 megan tracks. WAY too stiff. Why? Because on low speed I can bang through them no problem because I can really throw the weight around to put pressure on the outer tires, but on high speed and quicker mid speed turns, the rear fights for traction as it I the car settles and I don't have enough G's to put pressure on the tire. I think a 10-8 setup would be best on street tires like RT615 or RE01s and 10-9 setup on slicks or R compound would be awesome, in terms of spring rate. This would be without a GT wing.

If you have a GT wing and are very comfortable with pushing high G's then 12-10 on R compound or better would be an AWESOME setup. Whereas I would still go for a 10-9 setup on street tires with a GT Wing....

Hope that helps.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #633
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Hey Guys, just got back from the Track. Man the car has lots of power but now breaking is really sucking.... I have Porterfield RS4's and now thinking about Carbotech XP12... Do any of you guys know where I can get 300zx rotors pre-drilled for 4 lugs? Any help would be helpful....

Also at like 115+ I hear those loud droning in the rear... I wonder if it is exhause noise or is it something in the rear end.... Could it be wheel bearings or diff bearings? Can't hear it at 90MPH....

There is 3 bearings in the diff correct? two sides and one front... What do you guys think?

im not actually sure about the potential bearing noise, but i am pretty sure you can get rotors from pdm-racing. The carbotech pads are alright, i went through XP14 like a champ, i since stayed with Cobalt XR2's, i tend to prefer them so far over anything else.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #634
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
im not actually sure about the potential bearing noise, but i am pretty sure you can get rotors from pdm-racing. The carbotech pads are alright, i went through XP14 like a champ, i since stayed with Cobalt XR2's, i tend to prefer them so far over anything else.
WOW XP14's? or you talking about the newer XP16's? Anyways, which one would you say have less brake fade, modulation, and torque? ima guessing the xr2?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #635
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
The XR2 lasted 2x as long have great grip, no fade for me at least, and plenty of modulation depending on your brake setup with booster, MC and calipers of course.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #636
slider2828
Post Whore!

Ok ima try that next.... Well I ordered xp12's... they better brake! hahahah
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #637
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

oh they will work, no worries there. I have been toying with my brake setup over the last year and thought i had a good setup until i picked up some more speed and then the brakes stopped lasting again. So now i am on to:
- 350Z track rotors
- wilwood calipers
- XR2 pads
- 1" BMC (17/16" had minimal pedal control)
- and S13 stock non-abs booster

Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #638
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

oh they will work, no worries there. I have been toying with my brake setup over the last year and thought i had a good setup until i picked up some more speed and then the brakes stopped lasting again. So now i am on to:
- 350Z track rotors
- wilwood calipers
- XR2 pads
- 1" BMC (17/16" had minimal pedal control)
- and S13 stock non-abs booster

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #639
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Ok guys i know i promised pics, and i have a few, but i am refusing to upload them until next weekend when i get the engine back in again.

Splitter is cut to rough shape and 80% mounted, needs two more supports added. Takes about 5min total to pull bumper and splitter off and another 5min to install. Took forever to figure out and rig properly for a tight fit but it very stout and not very heavy.

Brake setup is all here
Wilwood front calipers, Cobalt XR2 pads, Andys brackets, and Brembo Z33 track rotors.

ECU is on its way, then sent out again for tuning.

Engine was test fitted and everything clears the steering rack, sway bar and trans tunnel.

Throttle pedal has been installed, actual pedal had to be bent into position, but bolts right up to S13 pedal position.

Repaired front lower rad/core support. Several spot welds broke loose and gaps formed between pieces. Turns out my whole chassis is sort of an old piece, so i am guessing i have about 1 season left in it before the track stress gets to it too much. Almost 6 years and close to 40 track events and its time to build an S14 on the side to withstand track stress better. Most parts will swap over, so it shouldn't be an expensive endeavor, just very time consuming.

Pics next weekend unless engine goes in sooner. Lots of progress this week things really coming together and getting finished......hopefully.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #640
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey in a past interview "no show all go" (lol), you mentioned your new wheels would be 17x10 with 275/45/17 thats pretty tall no? Close to 26" if im not mistaken.

I was wondering if you've gone with that? Other than how did you fit it, I was wondering the reasoning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, a taller tire adds grip/traction more so than going wider right? Compound being same. Wider vs/and taller. Is that correct?

Clarify this for me :0
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #641
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
Hey in a past interview "no show all go" (lol), you mentioned your new wheels would be 17x10 with 275/45/17 thats pretty tall no? Close to 26" if im not mistaken.

I was wondering if you've gone with that? Other than how did you fit it, I was wondering the reasoning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, a taller tire adds grip/traction more so than going wider right? Compound being same. Wider vs/and taller. Is that correct?

Clarify this for me :0

i actually dont know the taller vs wider idea. I went with 275/40R17 Toyo RA1's on 17x9.5 +12 wheels. They really dont fit, i use 20mm bolt on hubcentric spacers and fender flares to cover them fully, they are very close to fitting, but not quite there. If i used a thinner spacer i think i could get then to fit under the stock fenders, but i would have to REALLY pull the fender more than i already have.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #642
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Lots of progress, pics show it all. More pics to come later with even more up to date info.

Wilwood brake setup

Front bumper and splitter finished!

Engine fitted, lots of engine bay configuring to do with fuel lines, filter, intake tubes, etc...

headers being made next week, ECU sent out for reprogramming, wing arrival in about a week, wiring finished in about 2 weeks (havnt started that part yet, waiting on under-dash harness). Fuel line rearrangement, and heat shields made, they should be easy once i wrap my head around where i want them.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #643
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Very nice on the VQ and the new front aero setup.

Do you think there will be an clearance issues with the VQHR and the hood?

Custom mounts?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #644
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

the mounts are modified McKinney mounts, only slightly modified. And i need about 1" hood clearance over the engine, not much, but enough to be a PITA. More assembled pics tomorrow before it goes off to header fabricator.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #645
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Have you thought about stich welding what you can?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #646
Rudel

Rudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Rudel
The car is coming along nice....though....

You might want to switch your rotors to the other side, the slots are facing the wrong direction.

"It's not about speed, you have to look good on the touge too..."
Rudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #647
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

This chasis will not be stitch welded, the shell im planning to pick up this fall will be all stitched then cage, etc....this current S13 is in too rough of shape to put that much effort into when i am planning on a rust free S14 chassis next year.

The rotors were marked L and R, i feel it was safe to assume drivers L and R. The outer slot makes no difference, its the internal vanes that makes them directional. I will however double check when i get home to see if maybe they were just labeled incorrectly from the manufacturer.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #648
slider2828
Post Whore!

Any updates whiteglx?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #649
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Progress with no pics, sorry:

Wing mount needs installed
Wiring starts tomorrow, should be easy(ish)
Headers almost done at fabricator

lots to do this weekend, going to be tough but planning on having everything done by monday while i wait for my 02 sensors to show up wed....this is a nail biter, i havnt cut it this close to an event ever, i hate mis-communicated shipping issues....this is BS!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #650
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yeah agreed!.... What wing dd you get? wow custom headers? WOW!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #651
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Kognition wing, looks absolutly badass, cant wait to get it on the car.

Headers are all SS and dimensionally perfect for the engine, should have some decent power output, im hoping around 300-320whp. I went the distance on the headers, didnt want to waste fab time on something that shouldnt get done twice.

pics after the weekend, they will show alot if not 99% complete.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #652
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
teamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

teamsprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #653
slider2828
Post Whore!

Damn those wings are like 1500... how do you guys even afford something like that?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #654
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

the group buy from months back. they were sold for half that, only in the group buy tho.

My stands dont go through the fenders, but up through the trunk and closer together. Car looks good teamsprock

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #655
DJ PoW
Zilvia Junkie

DJ PoW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DJ PoW
I don't know if I'm tripping or not but I think the rotors are on backwards.. lol
DJ PoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #656
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

teamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the rough
Which rotors? Mine?

Thanks for the compliments, you'll love the way the car handles once you get the wing on. I feel a huge difference even at low speeds. I can't wait for the first track on the 29th.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #657
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ PoW View Post
I don't know if I'm tripping or not but I think the rotors are on backwards.. lol
He was just there for show.... he will work on it later.... as said before
Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #658
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
can u open the trunk all the way?
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #659
Weedm
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Weedm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pretty sweeet.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #660
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

Nope, enough to get in there and disconnect the battery. At some point I will probably put hood pins on the trunk but being a track car I really don't use the trunk anyways. My tools all go in my F150.