Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-10-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
nd240sx3
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
nd240sx3 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nd240sx3
removal of emission stuff is done what next?

ok well now that that is done what else can i remove from my engine bay i dont need, but still be able to drive while i wait for turbo ka completion anyone know what the big silver box shaped thing is in the back corner nearest the windsheild on passenger side? also wanted to relocate battery is there a hole somewhere in the firewall to run the wire? thanx
nd240sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
take out your...
AC compressor
Associated lines (then you'll have a place to run your wire)
AC condenser
Cruise control
Sort and simplify the vaccuum system
Remove the heat and ac from under the dash
Clip associated wiring and unecissary circuits (be careful and work slowly)
Remove the fuses from the removed crap (makes trouble shooting easier)
Clutch fan + shroud and wire the a/c fan to run full time
All the cardboard crap on the underside of the hood
Washer fluid reservior
Anything resembling plastic lineing (fender lineing, etc.)

Other then the engine bay
Gut the interior (only a dash, drivers door panel and maybe center console are necissary, that means no carpet, pass seat, pass door piece, ac control crap, rear anything, headliner, spare, etc.)
Ditch the sound deadning (40$ of dry ice + hammer)
Antenna assembly crap
Radio + speakers + amps
Any wiring not important to the running of the car
Keep a floor mat so you don't burn your feet or leg

The silver box you speak of sounds like the ECU to me. No you can't remove that.

Good luck on the KAT.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
nd240sx3
Zilvia Junkie

nd240sx3 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to nd240sx3
ecu is in the car i was talkin bout

in the engine bay and i looked at it again and its got a couple of brake lines runnin to it from the brake master cylinder buts its also got a few more lines i dunno what they do maybe it for hicas beats me hope someone can tell me what it is and thanx for all the the stuff i can remove i had no clue where to start. heaters gotta stay gets cold in the winter and back seat also gots to stay i gotta a kid to cart around anyway thanx
nd240sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:24 AM   #4
ICKY
Account Closed

ICKY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ICKY
If its a daily driver, i wouldnt reccomend taking out the sound deadning, A/C, and the sound stuff (unless you dont like music).
ICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #5
Colorado S14
Zilvia Member

Colorado S14 is on the path to ruinColorado S14 is on the path to ruin
That silver box is your ABS leave it you lucky bastard I want ABS.
Colorado S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
ryan hagen
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
ryan hagen is making a name for him/her selfryan hagen is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
want abs? i know someone who has all the garbage removed

1990 hatch ka24de gt2871r
ryan hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #7
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKY
If its a daily driver, i wouldnt reccomend taking out the sound deadning, A/C, and the sound stuff (unless you dont like music).
Why not?

A/C? Use god's ac. It's called rolling down a window.
Sound deadning? Dead weight. Ditch it
Speakers for a daily driver is up to your preference...

Don't be a puss. I'l be daily driving my gutted to nothing, no ac no stereo car. I know of a few others doing it as well.

Your car will be...
more responsive (less load on the suspension)
more powerful (less load on the engine)
clean under the dash and under the hood. Less junk to move your hands around when fixing things that matter.

Sounds worth it to me.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
brage
Zilvia Member

brage is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brage
Is this a daily driver or a track car?
brage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
J_Spec

J_Spec is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is almost completely gutted don't even have door panels or center console. Gotta find somewhere that sells dry ice tho. It does feel ten times better when driving and drifting is SO much more fun. The tail whips back and forth effortlessly. Haven't taken out the A/C tho, damn black leather seats!!!! I took out my spare, headliner... I'll post pics after i put on my suspenion today. need to clean up the wires tho. I don't want ABS i might sell it, took the fuse out already.

ps I love the sound of the exhasut now. Everyone told me my exhaust was loud as hell but i never heard it until i took out everything now i agree with them haha. tanabe racing medalion

peaCe,
Jesse
J_Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
brage
Zilvia Member

brage is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brage
IMHO it is retarded to gut a car unless it is a track only car. Removing all of that shit gives you minimal gain. Especially if you are turbo... turn up the boost 2psi and you just negated all of gutting. Your car will be loud as hell inside, etc... Not worth it.
brage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #11
shoes59
Zilvia Junkie

shoes59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brage
IMHO it is retarded to gut a car unless it is a track only car. Removing all of that shit gives you minimal gain. Especially if you are turbo... turn up the boost 2psi and you just negated all of gutting. Your car will be loud as hell inside, etc... Not worth it.
Exactly. Gutting anything but a full blown race car or even a weekend warrior is complete nonsense. Unless of course you enjoy a car that's insanely loud, hot and has no creature comfort.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd240sx3
i gotta a kid to cart around anyway thanx
dude maybe you should worry about basic maintenance and safety, esp if you're driving a kid around in the car all the time. if you can't tell that the big box with brake lines running out of it is your ABS, you definitely NEED to do more research instead of blindly listening to what people tell you to do on a forum.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #13
rps13sh
Zilvia FREAK!

rps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to rps13sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd240sx3
ok well now that that is done what else can i remove from my engine bay i dont need, but still be able to drive while i wait for turbo ka completion anyone know what the big silver box shaped thing is in the back corner nearest the windsheild on passenger side? also wanted to relocate battery is there a hole somewhere in the firewall to run the wire? thanx
what kinda turbo kit are you planning to get? i happen to have a kit for KA24DE. comes with nsport fmic, t04 ai research turbo, forged pistons plus a KA24DE s14 motor and tranny. Motor has a broken rod. other than that it is repairable. pulled the motor and swapped to SR so its no longer needed.
rps13sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:07 AM   #14
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brage
You sir are a fucking moron.

How does turning up the boost 2 psi make my suspension and brake loads less?
Think before you talk.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #15
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes59
Exactly. Gutting anything but a full blown race car or even a weekend warrior is complete nonsense. Unless of course you enjoy a car that's insanely loud, hot and has no creature comfort.
You too.
Especially for the weekend warrior comment.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #16
240Driver39
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240Driver39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes59

agreed, and its not being a pussy removing everything in the car, i just think its more logical for a lot of people, cars can be a lot of fun yet still serve other functions besides blasting around the streets/track/whatever. Like mine, i have fun with it, but it still takes me 430 miles back and forth to school several times a year and even tho i dont even use the ac, its good to have there. Eh..i like my interior.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:43 AM   #17
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Driver39
Eh..i like my interior.
Now don't you feel better that you've admitted that?

I like my performance. I want my car to have 100% of its potential so therefor I hate interiors.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:20 AM   #18
Blues13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Blues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Everyone's got their preferences for a daily driver.. I know if I was living down in LA still, I'd be scrambling to my AC back.. it ain't fun when your dripping wet in traffic while everyone's got their windows up. It all depends where u live, where u drive, and what your attitude is about looking like an ass when its 90+ degrees out in traffic.
Blues13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #19
andrave
BANNED

andrave is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to andrave
it depends on the kind of driving you do. For instance, I hate being stuck at traffic lights. So I don't drive in the city. I drive, park, and then walk where I need to go. So if I'm moving, air is moving through the windows. Then I park and don't get stuck in standstill traffic. So I don't need AC so much.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #20
240_keyy
Zilvia Member

240_keyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to 240_keyy Send a message via AIM to 240_keyy Send a message via Yahoo to 240_keyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeda
Why not?

A/C? Use god's ac. It's called rolling down a window.
Sound deadning? Dead weight. Ditch it
Speakers for a daily driver is up to your preference...

Don't be a puss. I'l be daily driving my gutted to nothing, no ac no stereo car. I know of a few others doing it as well.

Your car will be...
more responsive (less load on the suspension)
more powerful (less load on the engine)
clean under the dash and under the hood. Less junk to move your hands around when fixing things that matter.

Sounds worth it to me.
This is absolutly beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye

I haven't had a stereo in three years, and an AC for about 2 years now, And this is in my crazy dorifto track/street car. I am glad someone else sees it my way.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #21
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240_keyy
This is absolutly beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye

I haven't had a stereo in three years, and an AC for about 2 years now, And this is in my crazy dorifto track/street car. I am glad someone else sees it my way.
Theres a lot of us. I'm just very very adament.

My roommate drives an 86 GTS.

NOTHING. Just the top half of the dash and a nice bucket.
He even removed his headlights and replaced them with nice hella head lights because it saved 20 pounds. No power steering. He even cut out the truck skeleton. Single sheet CF hood with almost no resin.

I can stand in the engine bay with the motor in it. It's beautiful. I wouldn't drive it though. 86's are a little too jittery for my tastes.