Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
fal4cy

Trader Rating: (4)
fal4cy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Okada Projects SR20 Coilpacks Issue

I got the new coil packs in a few weeks ago and installed them and then car wouldn't start. Thought it was the harness because I heard a crack and it was previously damaged, so I bought a new coil pack sub-harness from wiring specialties and that wasn't the issue. Swapped my old coils in because I realized it might be the coil packs and not a broken harness and the old ones fire it right back up.

Can't figure out if these coil packs are defective, or I'm lacking some part. It says plug and play, so I'm not sure. But pretty much 100% of the directions are Japanese anyway. New coil packs didn't make spark at all, but were getting warm like they were turning on.

My question is -- has anybody used these and did you need to do anything additional to make them work? I've emailed Okada but that was 2 weeks ago with no response yet. Searched before I asked, just couldn't find any good info.
fal4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if they were getting hot, it means they were charging all the time. Trigger and +12v may be reversed, check wiring
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
fal4cy

I think you are right. These are s15 coils and I have an s14 sr20. I've done some research but I'm not 100% clear. From what I've read i should remove the stock ignitor and run an s15 coilpack harness, correct? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
fal4cy

Found it. I'll share it here incase anybody has anything to add. I would not recommend purchasing these from Nengun if you are looking into a set. They've been nothing but rude about all questions asked, doing nothing but deflecting everything I've asked or said without actually helping at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I've looked into this since I have a Kouki S14 SR and am running an S15 ECU. It's not plug and play, but

pretty strait forward. To convert to S15 ignition you need to:

1) Acquire S15 Valve Cover and Coilpacks
2) Bypass the ignitor, splice wires together.
3) Splice in something called an "Ignition Condenser" - you T off the power wire and connect the other

side to ground. It's basically a capacitor that gives the coils a little extra juice. Use part # 28351-

89901 This is same part as on the G35/350Z and S14 KA engine.
4) Purchase S15 coil pack harness from wiring specialties, or re-wire the coil pack harness, the pinout at

the coil packs are different (pins 1 & 2 are flipped).

This was my list after comparing wiring diagrams for both S14 and S15. I'm currently still running S14

ignition because I haven't come across a good deal on S15 valve cover and coil packs yet.