Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
skazat
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
skazat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Angry Apexi Power FC/ECCS Relay issues

Im lost with this ECCS relay working. This is on a s13 with a redtop SR swap with an Apexi PFC, I just purchased it so Im going through it and trying to right all the wrongs.

The ECU gets constant 12v power through Pin 36. From what I understand the ECCS relay is turned on by Pin 4 of the ECU grounding the relay. For whatever reason it appears that ECU isnt grounding Pin 4. I see it has power on Pin 36, theres power at the relay the only thing lacking is the ground. I even bypassed the harness to make sure it wasnt a faulty wire/conversion and hard wired it directly from the relay harness to the ecu harness and still nothing.

Im considering just running a switch for the ground but Id prefer for it all to work the way its supposed to. Any ideas?
skazat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Kaifd3s is on the path to ruinKaifd3s is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
A TON of people just put it on a switch instead of messing with the ECCS. Sloppy IMO.

Do you even hear the relay click when you ground it manually?

I purchased this http://www.wiringspecialties.com/connectorzb.html and wired it up the factory wiring and the Power FC works and saves upon shutdown. Got fed up with the thing.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
skazat
Zilvia Junkie

Exactly I dont want to do it but this isnt going to be a daily so maybe I can hide and have it as a secondary security measure. But I would prefer for it to work the way its intended to.

Yes the relay clicks when I ground it manually. The person I bought it from had the relay wired up with it always grounded and the lead was off the ignition switch. That worked but wasnt allowing the PFC to save changed data. So I redid the wiring the way its supposed to be and now the ecu isnt grounding the relay.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skazat View Post
Exactly I dont want to do it but this isnt going to be a daily so maybe I can hide and have it as a secondary security measure. But I would prefer for it to work the way its intended to.

Yes the relay clicks when I ground it manually. The person I bought it from had the relay wired up with it always grounded and the lead was off the ignition switch. That worked but wasnt allowing the PFC to save changed data. So I redid the wiring the way its supposed to be and now the ecu isnt grounding the relay.
I have an S14 so I'm not too sure on the pinout on the ECU. First things first, when you put the Power FC on the harness does it power on after you REDID the wiring?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
skazat
Zilvia Junkie

No. At first I redid just the lead that was coming from the ignition switch back to the right wire in the harness thats a constant 12v. When I did that the PFC was on even with the ignition in the off position, which led me to believe the ground on the relay was already grounded when it should only be grounded through the ECU once the ECU is given the signal to do so. So I ran a wire directly from the relay directly to the PFC so that it could turn on the relay the way it is supposed to and now it wont start.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
skazat
Zilvia Junkie

To me it just seems that the ECU isnt grounding the relay for whatever reason. Maybe Im missing something in the process but if the ecu has constant 12v and a switched 12v from the ignition switch, as long as the relay is wired up correctly then it should work.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

I think pins 36, 46, 47 should have power. "Maybe" 38 also when the ignition is on.

Im pretty sure the Power FC uses two forms of 12v power supply, plus a 12v ignition source. I don't remember which pins, but one is the main power, and the other I "think" is 12v from the ECCS itself. I could try and check the pins on my WC ecu and tell you which, but I dont think it might help you that much.