Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Tjk2world

Trader Rating: (0)
Tjk2world is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 How do I turn down the boost? Aem v1 Engine Management System

Greetings!
I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx. I bought it with a built ka24de in it, forged internals and bored cylinders. Car was running a garret t4 turbo, tial external wastegate, and AEM 10-2400 boost solenoid at 18 psi boost on the AEM Engine Management System series 1 and was dyno tuned to make 375hp at the wheels.

Recently this motor blew. I swapped in another ka with stock internals while keeping everything else the same. Not a big deal because I wanted something more conservative anyway. Now I want to have it retuned. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but instead something that is fun and also pretty reliable.
I just really need to turn the boost down to a safe level. I simply do not have the skills or knowhow with tuning to do so myself and i plan to have it tuned soon professionally on the dyno.
In the mean time, what is a setup I can do just to turn down my boost?
Manual boost controller(bleed valve)?
I just want to drift a little here and there and daily drive it even though it is not my only car.
Should i just bypass the boost solenoid to run on wastegaste pressure? If so do i just put a vaccum line connector to take the place of the boost solenoid?
I really don't want to plug the car in and mess with the tune.
Thanks in advance!
Tjk2world is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
if it blew up with a forged bottom end, just save yourself all the grief and headache. buy a 7psi spring for your wastegate, take it to your favorite AEM tuner and have them dial in the car for that bottom end with whatever boost you choose. is saving a few bucks now on the tune really going to be worth potentially blowing up your motor again? probably not. Work smart not hard.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Tjk2world

It is also useful information to know the my bottom end was doing great until i ran it out of oil. That thing burned as much oil as gas lol. I beleive the culprit was fried piston rings>burning oil faster than i could fill>blown motor
Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Put a lighter spring in the wastegate and drive it straight to the tuner when you get it running. Don't go drifting or getting into boost.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjk2world View Post
It is also useful information to know the my bottom end was doing great until i ran it out of oil. That thing burned as much oil as gas lol. I beleive the culprit was fried piston rings>burning oil faster than i could fill>blown motor
Just listen to what you said!
If your bottom end was doing great, it wouldn't have starved for oil. [emoji20]

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You guys are missing the part about the boost solenoid.

Ecu is controlling boost via the solenoid, connect to laptop and change the boost. Or BYPASS the boost solenoid and see what your wastegate spring is.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Tjk2world

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Just listen to what you said!
If your bottom end was doing great, it wouldn't have starved for oil. [emoji20]
Thats absolutely right 😪
Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Tjk2world

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
You guys are missing the part about the boost solenoid.

Ecu is controlling boost via the solenoid, connect to laptop and change the boost. Or BYPASS the boost solenoid and see what your wastegate spring is.
Thank you. Is it playing with fire to plug it in and mess with the boost if i have never tuned anything before? And if I bypass the boost solenoid will the car run like trash or does the maf sense the airflow and add fuel accordingly? I dont expect it to be perfect because the last bottom end was bored out but i would think it would at least run. Im not experienced with tuned cars.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #9
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Changing boost down will have no effect