Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are there any purist Left on this Board? V. jdm parts etc.

So while I know now a days it's pretty popular for many to purchase what ever is the best bang for the buck no matter where it came from but any purists left on this board?

While I may not be a fan of mishimoto radiators, Seibon hoods, xxr wheels, ISR, fortune auto coils, Grip Royal, etc people get them due to still getting the job done.

I do love seeing a jdm full jdm parts/styling car.

turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
While Im not by any means a purist, I do appreciate the practice. Like I've said lots of times before, Im sick of seeing ls's in every damn popular jdm chassis out there.
Altought, imho, being a purist doesn't mean your car's gotta look like a clown car like the one posted. I mean, the wheels aren;t even matching, and idgaf what brand and how rare they are. And is that a "hoonigan" sticker? jajajaja NO....
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
You have an interesting definition of "purist", turboshoebox... When I think "purist", I think OEM+ or basically restomod.
I think you're looking for circa 2002 drift style, which ain't a bad thing. That's what Final Bout was all about.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'm with simmode1. I think you're into the late 90's/early 2000's scene in Japan. If thats what you are referencing, I too am a fan. I just started a build and am going for that look. However, after pissing away countless dollars over the years on track cars and a feature car and essentially "growing up" with kids/family, I now prioritize my disposable income a little better.

I literally just ordered OEM nissan internals/Tomei engine components for a long block rebuild. Hell, I spent 3x more refurbishing a OEM 5 lug setup than what an aftermarket one would have cost. If the part isn't critical and simplistic in function/design, I don't mind priortizing spending and going with cheaper alternatives.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not really what i'd call a "purist". I like the IDEA of that kind've shit, but im not dropping 2K on 326 power coilovers when fortune autos are stout and can be serviced here in the states. Not spending crazy money on ikeya formula suspension arms either when plenty of other brands work and perform the same job.

Just my personal opinion. Ball out on rare parts that are cool, not extra money for the same function unless safety/strength is being compromised.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I think there are more people left on Zilvia that have a "purist/2001" mindset than younger folks following the current trends. There are not many consistent users left, but I think most of the ones that remain are people that have been around these cars for years and have a similar mindset to what you are describing.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Like some of the other guys, I too was thinking a different definition of purest- more so the OEM guys with the super clean and original cars. Shoutout because those are by far my favorite restoration projects/builds on this forum
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'll just say my GPSports G-Master coilovers ride better than my Fortune Auto's did, and they were cheaper.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Not really what i'd call a "purist". I like the IDEA of that kind've shit, but im not dropping 2K on 326 power coilovers when fortune autos are stout and can be serviced here in the states. Not spending crazy money on ikeya formula suspension arms either when plenty of other brands work and perform the same job.

Just my personal opinion. Ball out on rare parts that are cool, not extra money for the same function unless safety/strength is being compromised.
Definitely agree with you on Fortune Auto and adjustable arms. I'm running two sets (510 series and Dreadnought) and have had zero issues with them. Running Ikeya Formula on the S15 simply because it already had them. Otherwise, I would be running SPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I think there are more people left on Zilvia that have a "purist/2001" mindset than younger folks following the current trends. There are not many consistent users left, but I think most of the ones that remain are people that have been around these cars for years and have a similar mindset to what you are describing.
Pretty much. I don't feel like a purist by any means, I'm just stuck with the OE styling on these cars. I do admire a lot of the aftermarket aero out there, but considering my current lifestyle (60% work, 35% family, 5% cars), I just wanted my street cars to look classy and grab the right attention.

I can admit to almost having bailed on my projects due to priorities, but now I'm really glad I stuck it through.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
I mean, the wheels aren;t even matching, and idgaf what brand and how rare they are. And is that a "hoonigan" sticker? jajajaja NO....
1. its literally a drift car, at a drift event. mismatching spares are an extremely common practice

2. Hert drives with animal style. why would a hoonigan sticker surprise you?

3. please stop before you hurt yourself

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
1. its literally a drift car, at a drift event. mismatching spares are an extremely common practice

2. Hert drives with animal style. why would a hoonigan sticker surprise you?

3. please stop before you hurt yourself
This guy is pretty self-righteous and thinks he's the only opinion when it comes to cars. I don't bother informing or disagreeing with him anymore.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
That's Hert's car? I thought he drove that LS FC3S... I can't keep up with all these guys...lol
Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
I would consider im still in the purist mode. Working in the industry does change the way I look at products since I have better insight. I choose parts depending on what performs the best. My car does rock c-west aero, craft square mirrors, bn sport hood, endless brake pads and zeal function x coils.
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
I would consider im still in the purist mode. Working in the industry does change the way I look at products since I have better insight. I choose parts depending on what performs the best. My car does rock c-west aero, craft square mirrors, bn sport hood, endless brake pads and zeal function x coils.
Right on dude
Old 12-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I don't even think you can define "purist" anymore.

Look closely to videos coming out of japan now a days, they run cheap parts all the time too. Knock off wheels, crappy steering wheels and interior parts, generic suspension arms galore.

I think a lot of us see Japan and the "purist" mentality through rose colored glasses.

In reality, as long as the cars are true to style, I don't think anyone really cares anymore. Just keep it lowish, painted one color, and cohesive in the chosen style and it should always look good. Of course I respect people out there still doing it by the book with all legit everything, but when I see kids running US market or replica parts, I really can't be mad as long as it looks like it was put together with care.

As for my own car, I follow the 00' styling, but my parts are about 50/50 replica versus real. Basically if its key to safe and reliable operation like a radiator, clutch, diff or turbo, real parts only. But for things like aero, intercooler piping, exhausts and the like, I really couldn't care less.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
That's Hert's car? I thought he drove that LS FC3S... I can't keep up with all these guys...lol
this was Julian Jacob's car. It has since been replaced with a s13 silvia.
Hert does have the FC3S, it was LQ powered, and now has gone back to rotary.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #17
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
this was Julian Jacob's car. It has since been replaced with a s13 silvia.
Hert does have the FC3S, it was LQ powered, and now has gone back to rotary.
Ahhh... I was so confused... lol thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
This thread needs more pics. Be the hero we need, but don't deserve.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #18
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
i like seeing that there is interest still in old aero parts and livery and that its making a return to our scene again after years and years of it being considered outmoded with the wave of rocket bunny and RB inspired aero and stylings.

i have nothing against running smaller american brands of suspension parts and coilovers simply because my preference is to work with small businesses being that i am one myself... small business is what started a lot of the this old school stuff in the first place. most of the older aero and suspension brands from Japan are still small business based to this day. its just nice to see that focusing on a smaller product line and keeping it worthwhile in terms of production and quality control is a business model that functions the world over instead of minimizing production costs over product quality when a brand decides to go much larger. most of the higher tier JDM brands scaled back to this business model after the recession in 2008 (Greddy, HKS and Apexi cut a TON of parts from their product lines to focus back on their core items once the economy tanked world wide)

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Era specific styling is alive and well. There's still people out there spending money on authentic Japanese parts as well.

For me, I have nothing against spending money on QUALITY parts, and not cheap Ebay junk. The S Chassis aftermarket is huge, and there's plenty of parts available from different markets outside of Japan.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I am 4 lug but I run 5 lug spacer adapters. I can teach you to be the purist purist there is. Pm me.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #21
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Doesn't have to have all the stickers of course but a car that's built for example with a real vertex ridge kit. Dg5 coils, ikeya formula arms, orc clutch etc
Old 12-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #22
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
I am 4 lug but I run 5 lug spacer adapters. I can teach you to be the purist purist there is. Pm me.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #23
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh no, that's hert's car??? lol...
The truth is, you all know that might as well be a street car the way things are today. Sorry for insulting your close friend's car, brndck...
I guess like somebody else said, it depends on your definition of "purist". Someone said keeping it 4 lug, which Im guessing means leaving it as stock as possible, which Im assuming would include a stock ka. To many others it could mean using only jdm brands and jdm engines (including jdm brand stickers, ughhh...).
Old 12-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #24
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Oh no, that's hert's car??? lol...
The truth is, you all know that might as well be a street car the way things are today. Sorry for insulting your close friend's car, brndck...
I guess like somebody else said, it depends on your definition of "purist". Someone said keeping it 4 lug, which Im guessing means leaving it as stock as possible, which Im assuming would include a stock ka. To many others it could mean using only jdm brands and jdm engines (including jdm brand stickers, ughhh...).
No, it was Julian's car. Hert still has his FC (and I believe he picked up an s13 as well).

I def think that unless you're restoring it to OEM condition, or just doing a cookie cutter type x build, it's pretty much impossible to be a 240/s-chassis "purist". The sector reinvents itself every few years, so what many people currently consider "purist" (aka 2000 style) is still 5-7 years late imo.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
We live in an age of instant gratification.

When Black Friday goes throughout the weekend and Cyber Monday lasts damn near all week you have to wonder what's going on as a society. The need to have everything NOW is what makes these dumb fucking kids so quick to buy multiple sets of a replica parts vice one quality part. I think we've all been there but most of us moved on and our taste changed.

A lot of my friends give me shit for hunting (and spending money on) OEM cars. I'm willing to pay 'extra' for a car that hasn't been fucked with or fucked up. I guess, in that way, I'm a purist of sorts...but Damon put it best: it's an era most people commit to.

Like tacotacotaco said it all depends on the quality of the part. If something that isn't (INSERT BIG NAME COMPANY) works shittier than something from (INSERT SMALLER COMPANY) then anyone who gives a fuck about their car would use the latter. The people doing it for the 'gram or whatever would buy the name-brand. Does anyone realize a lot of JDM shit is outsourced nowadays? No. They'd rather drop a #JDM on IG.

Dorki's aero is another point: why in the fuck would anyone pay $800 for a God damn Type X lip when his shit fits well and is more durable?

The term purist has different degrees. Maybe some dudes are era purists to a fault while other guys are quality purists.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #26
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Here are three more reasons why. We'll start with the best let it get worse.

1.) $4500, Clean Title, AC, 90,XXX Miles, and the paint looks great. It's automatic and SOHC. If I was in the market, I'd go for this and figure out the motor and the transmission later. It's OBO so I'd negotiate and see how it goes. Spending a little more initially and having to wait to get the SR/manual trans is worth it...but it doesn't hit that 'instant gratification' box for most.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...412724485.html

2.) $9500, Clean Title, SE, 75,XXX Miles, pearl paint that looks awesome. DOHC but still auto. This is the mid-range seller: trying to make a buck but wants to seem reasonable. Price is still fucking nuts but if this car was EVERYTHING I wanted I could see myself trying to negotaite the price down to ~$7000...after I watched the dude get zero offers at $9500 for a month lol.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...409835503.html

3.) $12,995, Clean Title, SE, 83,XXX Miles, paint still looks good. Automatic...but it only has one owner. This represents the WORST of the bunch. $13k for this shit? Read the summary and you can see these guys are playing on your 'hard-to-find-in-good-shape' ideals.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...409835503.html

Which one does the 'purist' go for? They're all OEM and look like some of the best cars on CL right now...but what is someone willing to pay, and how much work are they willing to put into the car? Most guys shit on the $4500 car because it's Auto/SOHC. No one wants to be bothered with swapping the transmission or sourcing an SR. The third car on the list is keeping it out of the hands of someone (maybe like me) that would pay great price for the car but definitely not what they hope to get. The second car is a manual transmission away from being a fun, awesome car...but the theme of this thread seems to be 'time' and no one is going to want to swap it. It's a shame.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #27
3NDLESS
Leaky Injector

3NDLESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Couldn't agree more; I see my friends and teenagers and their ignorant cars with cheap coilovers, "ebay" replica kits, even 100 dollar rims. Sure it pops out, sure they probably feel good about themselves knowing that people break their necks but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. From a truck running stock pipes with a clamp-on exhaust tip to a eg6 coupe with replica body aero and unaligned bodylines teenagers are so cheap nowadays...

I'm a teenager too but I stray away from the aforementioned, sure my s13 looks bone stock, because it is. I'm saving money to get parts that are worthwhile. Sure it might take me three years or so to source something or get enough money to buy a part, but as long as I'm not dishing out on some cheapo junk that'll degenerate itself within a day or two then I retain my self-respect for myself and my car. I try to convince my friends to do the same as I, but they just don't have that willpower to simply not take out their credit card.

I don't know how far the term purist expands but I want to [try to] be the "quality" purist kind of guy.
3NDLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #28
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My past few S13s I've built were kind of all a mixture of high quality parts and low quality parts. My basic rule for myself is don't cheap out if it's a part that moves or a part you touch. Suspension, wheels, interior bits I have never cheaped out on, but I've definitely purchased my fair share of ebay exhaust and rads and aero and other miscellaneous shit. With my current car I'm forcing myself to not buy any cheap anything whatsoever, and I'll admit I'm being a massive fanboy but I'm trying to keep the non Japanese brands to a bare minimum. It's taking a hell of a lot more time and money to do it this way, but as of now, my car isn't even close to finished and I'm already so much happier with it than I ever have been with any other car I've owned.

But honestly the smart and efficient way is to just buy whatever is nice and available haha. I kind of think someone who uses all OEM parts is a purist, someone who uses only Japanese aftermarket parts is a purist, and someone who uses quality parts from any other place is a purist. As long as quality is shown I think they fall into the purist category, where the parts come from aren't as important.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #29
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Dorki's aero is another point: why in the fuck would anyone pay $800 for a God damn Type X lip when his shit fits well and is more durable?
This is why.
Quote:
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #30
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
This is why.
Are you saying $800 for the lip is warranted or are you making a funny?