Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
turboHLS30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turboHLS30's '75 Datsun 280z

This is a copy and paste from another forum because there is way to much progress to start over.

Whats up everyone my names Shane and this has been my project for about a year now. First off let I just turned 16 in May and I have had this car since I was 15. I bought this car for $1800 of my own money. So now for the car she's a Datsun 280z made in January of '75. Right now it has a 2.4 straight 6 backed by a 280zxt 5 speed with triple Mikuni's and a blowthru turbo setup. The Mikuni's are 40mm and the turbo is a T04B. As she sits now she is sitting on 240z suspension with unknown lowering springs. I think the drop is a 2.5" drop because it sits pretty low. Well here are the pics.
When I first got her

All the junk in her trunk LOL

After the junk in her trunk was cleaned out and I rustoleum'd the trunk area and put the stock carpet back in

240z Seats

After the 240z suspension and lowering springs

Now for the motor:

Intercooler Setup:

My bro and I prepping the fender and door

The finished product of the all nighter

7/25/10 Well today I went autocrossing with my friend in his Miata and we got 3rd place. He also has a '03 RSX Type-S and a Z32 300zx. After today I know for sure that I am going to autocross the Z. Also my Grant steering wheel and my Autometer boost gauge came in today. I put the steering wheel in and boy does it look good. I don't know where I'm going to mount the boost gauge yet but we'll see when I get it running.

Grant Steering Wheel

My turbo emblem from a 280zxt

And my "I <3 My Datsun" sticker

Oh and here is me and my friend Miles next to the Miata after we won 3rd

And a Z that was there. It's pretty fast, still running stock SU's

8/2/10 I went and picked up some new rims and tires for the Z last night. They are knockoffs but they look really nice and have some almost brand new tires. They're 14x7 0 offset with a 3-4 inch lip. The best part about it is that I gave the guy $50 and a strut bar for his civic. Anyways onto the pics

Also the person who put these lowering springs on put them on backwards, as in fronts in the back and backs in the front, so it sits as if it had no motor in it. So now I have to reverse them so that it will sit right.

Yesterday I finished installing my rims. Here's some pics.
Little bro preparing to put on the rim

The front wheel well

Still preparing but now doing the one legged dance LOL

Rear wheel well

Little bro starting to put the wheel on after BSing for 5 mins.

He couldn't get it on the first time, so he started complaining about me taking pics of him failing LOL

He still couldn't get it on

He gave up so I ended up finishing it

Back on the ground

Front wheel gap because of screwed up springs

The Suburban and the Z in the driveway

turboHLS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Today I washed her and cleaned up the exterior and the wheels. I also put in my homemade gauge panel and boost gauge. I have to find 2 more gauges but I don't know what gauges I want. Anyways here's the pics.

My friend just came over with his Integra and he just happened to park in front of the Z so I took some pics.

Then here it is with my dad's Turbo'd '08 Suzuki Hayabusa

Wow it's been a while. I didn't end up getting the Miata unfortunately, so I invested some money into the Z. I went and bought paint tor black out the whole turbo kit and core support. I'd rather people not know that I'm turbo'd Anyway, the valve cover, intake plenum, and intercooler are all wrinkle black. Then I painted the compressor housing of the turbo, and intercooler piping satin black. All in all, I think it looks amazing for $40 worth of paint. Tell me what you think.

I also ordered all new brakes, as in rotors, pads, shoes, and all of the hardware for the rear brakes. I have a new water pump, coolant necks, fuel pump, fuel line, and assorted fittings coming. So there will be progress in the next month or so.

I'm going to be using the Z for the Grassroots Motorsports $2011 challenge and I've come up with a team name. What do you guys think, Team Angry Rooster or Angry Rooster Racing? This weekend I stripped all of the sound deadner out. It took me all day Saturday to strip all of it, but I left the firewall insulation on so that it doesn't get too hot. When I got the car I bought $60 worth of Rustoleum and painted the inside black, I mean EVERYTHING. Now that money went to waste because I painted over the sound deadner. I should have weighed the everything I took out but I was too tired by 12'oclock in the morning to do it. Anyway, here's some pics.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Hopefully getting my fuel pump and slave cylinder this week and should be repairing my wiring harness this weekend. After that I'm going to move the battery to the rear.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Just put some speakers in my friends accord and he payed me $80, then I went to Advanced Auto parts and spent $70 of it. I bought a slave cylinder w lifetime warantee for $14.99, Premium brake pads w/ lifetime warantee for $20.01, 19ft of fuel line (Don't know why I bought so much LOL) at $1.25/ft and payed $23.75, and a bottle of Dot 3 brake fluid for $6.49. It all came up to $69.48. This purchase brings my total spent of the budget to $469.48 with the purchase of a 240z, this 280z, a L24/ 5sp, a L28/4sp, triple Mikuni's, Cartech turbo kit, 240z seats, and 3 or 4 boxes of random parts. Not bad at all
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
DeleriousZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DeleriousZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Man... these cars just have such a distinct road presence. You can spot one from miles away on a rainy day. Keep up the good work!
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Thanks man
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Installed the slave cylinder today after school. When I went to bleed the clutch, fluid got past the piston and brake fluid got everywhere. I guess it's a good thing I have a lifetime warantee. The new one will be in tomorrow morning. Is there a proper way to bleed the clutch?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
statickx991
Zilvia Member

statickx991 is an unknown quantity at this point
rb25 swap next? lol looking good man, keep up the good work
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
some of those pics look like u took them in 1975 lol
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by statickx991 View Post
rb25 swap next? lol looking good man, keep up the good work
Naw, she almost got a 2jz swap but the Grassroots Motorsports $2011 challenge saved her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
some of those pics look like u took them in 1975 lol
LOL That was with a crappy cell.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Once again the same thing has happened. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the clutch line/master cylinder. I'm all out of ideas now, do you guys have any idea?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Just finished relocating the Z to my dad's shop so that I can trim the core support for the intercooler piping, swap the springs, and get my fuel system complete. Should be running soon if I spend some time on it. Only problem is I have finals coming up so I have a lot of studying to do
Old 05-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Decided I'm going to pull the motor in the Z, clean-up/paint the engine bay, go through the motor, and put it all back together after. I want to get this done now so that when I get it running I don't have to blow apart into pieces again. My friend is going to paint the bay for me for $15/hour + materials, he painted his E30 BMW and it was amazing so I trust him
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Well, I've finally decided that I'm tired of seeing the Z sit. So I'm going to do a L28et swap and get it running, because I get my license soo and I need something to drive that will get decent gas mileage. The plan is to swap the motor, swap out the turbo with a Garrett unit I have, put a 300zx turbo ECU in, and put some 440cc injectors and call it a day. If I can get it done for less than $2,000 I'd be happy and can still compete in the GRM $2011 Challenge. So if anyone out there has a L28et, let me know
Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Today I went out to the junkyard today and found a '80's Maxima and I'm going to try to get the rear caliper brakets off tomorrow. Why are these brakets important? They are what I need to convert to disks in the rear. It still has the complete motor also so I'm going to dee what I can grab off of it tomorrow. I also saw a 300zx (Z32) out there with a complete motor and transmission and suspension. I want to get the calipers off of that for the front brake and then I'm pretty sure I'll be set for brakes. Also got a package deal on 3 brand new head gaskets and 2 intake/exhaust gaskets for $55 shipped and I just bought a RCI 5-point Cam Lock racing harness and the chrome retaining ring that holds the headlight so I can now install my other headlight and stop making the car look like it's winking LOL

Bought a L28et long block w/ 96k for $100
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

On the other hand I bought a grenade shifter knob, RCI 5-point Cam lock harness, and the headlight retainer ring so the Z won't look like it's winking anymore. I'm about to buy a prewired Z31 harness and ECU for the 280zx turbo motor.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
SinGarage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
SinGarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice! Great work and keep em coming. Since you have the L28ET now, are you just using the block and the head and slap on the Cartech setup or are you going straight L28ET with upgraded injectors/turbo/ECU?
SinGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGarage View Post
Nice! Great work and keep em coming. Since you have the L28ET now, are you just using the block and the head and slap on the Cartech setup or are you going straight L28ET with upgraded injectors/turbo/ECU?
I'm going to go straight L28et with Supra 440cc's, Garrett T3/T04 turbo, Z31 turbo ECU and harness, maybe Greddy E-Manage, and stock 5 speed. Hoping to get 300 hp and 330-350 tq.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
NissanZi
BANNED

NissanZi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NissanZi
Definatly a dope build!
NissanZi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

^Thanks

UPDATE: Got my turbo intake manifold/throttle body/injectors/turbo distributor today B) Now I just have to go pick up my motor tomorrow and pay for the Z31 ECU and harness, and I should have the complete swap put together. This week I'm going to work on getting the motor in the Z out and get the head gasket and trans on the new motor. I have a feeling that I'm still going to be able to compete in the Challenge
Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Ahh i think i seen this build on supra forums.. pretty fun looking build... but didnt you go from like.... the stock motor.. to 2jzge then back to the stock motor ?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

You probably did. I actually went from the stock motor, to a 240z motor, to a 2jzge, to a 280zx turbo motor. I'm not changing my mind anymore, because I already hyave a complete swap now and I need to get it running for this photoshoot in 2 weeks.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Purchased a Megasquirt v2.2 PNP this evening

Well I decided to check on what I have left in my budget and so far I've used $1035.96. Here's a little summary:
Car= $400
Motor/Fuel Rail/Injectors= $150
Head Gaskets and intake/exhaust gaskets= $55
Intake Manifold/Turbo Injectors/ Turbo dizzy= $150
Towing/Gas= $2.47
Brake Fluid= $6.49
Slave Cylinder= $14.99
Brake Pads= $20.01
Megasquirt= $212
Garrett Turbo/ Misc. Gauges/Oil Catch can= $25
Total= $1035.96
That leaves me with $975.06 to spend of my $2011 budget. That's enough room to buy lots of fancy stuff.

Will get pics up of everything ASAP. My camera phone decided to downsize the pics that I send to my email. So I have to go and get a digital camera so I can take decent pics.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Here's a pic of the hood

Engine bay pics:

Exterior pics (The paint didn't stick well on the fenders, and I had masking tape on the fenders, so when I pulled it off it peeled some paint with it. She needs paint anyway )

Interior:

Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
Aaj2k5
Leaky Injector

Aaj2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good man, you're lucky you got such a minimal rust Z.

But just incase the Grassroot's guys are watching your thread, and to meet your $2011 budget, you should take out the part in your first post that you bought the car for $1800 haha.
Aaj2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

Well it was originally $1800, but the guy I got it from called it even at $400. I just never added it in. Thanks for the compliment.