Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
JZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
JZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JZ33's build thread 2.8

So as some of you know i was getting rid of my RX7 (FC) and it took me a while but someone finally wanted her, and wanted to trade. Not just any trade, but something that i have wanted for (literally) 16 years now.

a 1975 280Z that i can now call mine. I have already begun work on her with a friend of mine and we are sanding her down (previous owner had already done some body work) and getting some fresh paint on her. Then taking care of some suspension issues (4X4 issues) and of course the little things. She runs beautifully already so im not going to mess with that just yet, but i do see FI in the future.

nd for pics!

engine shot just because:

took some stuff apart like the cowl, air dam, and taillight assembly:

working on the wet sanding to even out the body (my friend is helping me so we are each doing one side... but he worked in a body shop)

she has been through a few different colors is see...

and more progress...

just getting the other fender done and the cowl...

and reassembly!

interior...

and the suspension giving me a hassle...

and my weapons of choice!

i cant get my blinkers to work, but other than that everything works even the AC... Im thinking about trading my wheels for something a little closer to period correct but i like them for now haha
JZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
JZ33
Zilvia Member

can anyone help me figure out my blinkers? i have searched and tried to figure it out and if im right the power runs through the hazard switch. Mine seems to be hooked up but it does not work and the one that is installed has two extra wires (white and blue) that arent on another switch i have.... any help would be appreciated...
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
LoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Man I really want to paint my Z semi-gloss white...

Anyways, I had a problem with my turn signals also, all I had to do was break out the wire brush off some rust and corrosion.

Hit up the harness that plugs in the turn signals themselves, wire brush the connectors and do the same on the chassis harness. A dab of dielectric would help if you've got any, I really need to do that myself. If that still doesn't work, take out your turn signal stalk assembly, and like wise, get to brushing on the on the metal switch and anything else that may look old and crusty.

Hopefully that works for you, that was how I cured my problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
JZ33
Zilvia Member

alright thanks! ill do that today and report back with my findings, hopefully good...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
adamvann3
Leaky Injector

adamvann3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the Z family.

I see you have good intentions with the car. Keep it up, and post lots of pictures.

What route are you going with suspension? GC kit?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
JZ33
Zilvia Member

haha thanks, i have the 280z and a 350z hoping to make on a weekend car but not sure which yet... as for suspension i would like to convert to coilovers, not for the stance or low purposes but for more adjustability. I have to do some more research though and i havent looked into the GC kits yet but i will... right now its on lowering spring, cut one coil all around.

BTW, i cleaned the blinker terminals and the assembly and still no luck... i am having difficulty taking the center console apart due to the wiring of the stereo and now my speakers dont work right either haha, also realized i dont have reverse lights lol
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Nick_04K
Zilvia Junkie

Nick_04K is an unknown quantity at this point
I am so in love with old Z's. They are just so damn sexy...
even when they aren't completely done.

Please keep giving steady updates. And good luck with your wiring gremlins haha.
Nick_04K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
JZ33
Zilvia Member

haha thanks i will keep updating! the hood isnt black anymore btw...
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

LoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Another thing that I had to do with my car is when I use the stalk to signal, I either have to kind of "push" the stalk forward while signalling up or down, or "pull" towards me.

Also check your relay's, you should atleast hear them click.

Mine look very similar to these, except the casing was more of a goldish/bronze/brown color.

One should be under the dash, above the hood latch cable puller, another one on the passenger side under the dash.

If not, replace those, if still no click, check fuses and the trace wires from the signal stalk.

Try signing up on HybridZ.org if you haven't already and search and see if someone has had the same problem.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
JZ33
Zilvia Member

i had no idea where to look for the relays so thank you! the fuse i checked and its fine, and i will try the push/pull thing as well... Ive been lurking and searching on hybridz and ratsun all the info i have found i put to use and so far here has actually been the most helpful...

Thanks again, i appreciate it...
Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Well back to what originally suggested, how good did you hit those connectors with the wire brush?

I looked up my old thread on HybridZ about the same issue and I brushed them, but it didn't help until I saw that I could take out each pin individually and brushed them till they shined.

Quote:
...So I took the harness out and pulled out the 3 male pins (for others, please note there are small "tabs" on the pins that keep them from backing out. They need to be pushed against the pin itself to be allowed to slide out) and wire brushed the piss out of them til they looked new.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
JZ33
Zilvia Member

was yours the thread with pictures? i followed the instructions from that one because it was easiest to follow with this being my first excursion into taking things like that apart... but everything is shiny and there does not appear to be any corrosion but ill take it all apart as much as i can again when i go to check the relays today...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Nah I'm pretty sure mine didn't have pictures.

But when I was going through mine, I tried to think of all the components that work with the turn signals and checked each one.

-Turn signal stalk and connectors
-Turn signals themselves/harness and bulbs
-Relays connected/clicking
-Fuses
-Hazard switch and connectors
-Trace wires all the way from the stalk to the turn signals themselves

Edit: Do they turn on when you flip the hazard switch or when you have your headlights on?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
JZ33
Zilvia Member

they dont do anything at all, they wont turn on with the lights or flash when i turn on the hazard switch... but i havent had a chance to check the relays so im going to do that today/tonight...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
JZ33
Zilvia Member

i realize i have no idea how to check if a relay is good or not... ive never messed with any.... but it does nothing when i turn them on either way and i was unable to find the passenger side relay....
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

You should hear an audible "click" from them when you signal.

Honestly, I'm not sure how to test a relay either, maybe google it?

If not, try finding a new relay. Might be one at your local parts store, if not I'm sure it's available online somewhere.

Wish I could help you out more, but I'm in Korea so I can't take a look at my Z's wiring right now, I'm just going from memory.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
JZ33
Zilvia Member

its alright i appreciate all the help... i turn on the signals either way and nothing happens, no noise, no lights, nothing... all the wiring is there and intact and the bulbs are still good... i still think the problem has to do with the wiring to the hazards but i have no way of knowing for sure... ill google the relay test too haha ill post some ore pics today too...

edit: to test the relay takes a couple tools that i dont have sadly... so i cant do that today...

Last edited by JZ33; 03-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: more good stuff
Old 03-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Rezist89
Leaky Injector

Rezist89 is an unknown quantity at this point
ahh more of this looking into a 280z
Rezist89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
JZ33
Zilvia Member

sorry about the lack of pics... rain and a leaky hatch dont mix well...
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ33 View Post
its alright i appreciate all the help... i turn on the signals either way and nothing happens, no noise, no lights, nothing... all the wiring is there and intact and the bulbs are still good... i still think the problem has to do with the wiring to the hazards but i have no way of knowing for sure... ill google the relay test too haha ill post some ore pics today too...

edit: to test the relay takes a couple tools that i dont have sadly... so i cant do that today...
I believe there may be a modern upgrade that's a direct replacement for the super old relays. If I remember right they're 522's, maybe you can use that as a start to do some searching and see if that'll work for you.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
JZ33
Zilvia Member

alright thanks for the info, off to Google i go haha
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
JZ33
Zilvia Member

pics!

finally pics of the hood haha..

i replaced the relay and still nothing at all...i also want different wheels lol
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
JZ33
Zilvia Member

mirrors and new wheels!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

turboHLS30 is an unknown quantity at this point
What mirrors are those?
turboHLS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #25
JZ33
Zilvia Member

they are just some ebay mirrors, but i have to admit i really like them and they are very clear and stay exactly where i want them even with all the rattle... if they start giving up on me ill just get some OEM ones but for now they are perfect..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #26
turboHLS30
Leaky Injector

turboHLS30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, cool. I really like them!
turboHLS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #27
JZ33
Zilvia Member

finding interior screws at junkyards is difficult... the only ones i could find that i need were for the kick plates...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
JZ33
Zilvia Member

finally fixed the blinkers!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
JZ33
Zilvia Member

just some random not so good pics i took out of boredom haha

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #30
JZ33
Zilvia Member

hoping to have this completely overhauled by July 1st... will take pics, but wish me luck...