Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
No 240.. No id
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (35)
No 240.. No id is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
..Importing a car..

Ok,I didn’t want to put a vehicle make and model in the title to keep the trolls away.

I’m looking to purchase a r34GTR.. anyone had owned one here in the US? I currently own a Kouki 180sx and I had no issues with it...So far.

I know it’s illegal to import them from Japan, but is it possible to bring them From another country such as Kuwait or Saudi Arabia? I have a friends that live in both countries and it’s very easy and priced reasonable there. Is it possible to have it legal if that’s the case? Car will be used OFF-ROAD, but I would like to know if it’s possible to get it legalized since it’s not coming from Japan?

Im writing this from my phone, on lunch break... excuse the typos.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
oldman_KA_T

Trader Rating: (0)
oldman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's illegal. Doesn't seem to stop them from being registered though. There are lots of JDM cars younger than 25 years old roaming the streets of certain states. Cough... VA. If you can afford a R34 GTR shipped from Kuwait wouldn't you not need any of our help? Don't you just fly them over on a private cargo plane and drive them with no regard for the law via Diplomatic Immunity? Can I borrow a couple hundred grand? I'll let you park it in my driveway.
oldman_KA_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
No 240.. No id
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_KA_T View Post
It's illegal. Doesn't seem to stop them from being registered though. There are lots of JDM cars younger than 25 years old roaming the streets of certain states. Cough... VA. If you can afford a R34 GTR shipped from Kuwait wouldn't you not need any of our help? Don't you just fly them over on a private cargo plane and drive them with no regard for the law via Diplomatic Immunity? Can I borrow a couple hundred grand? I'll let you park it in my driveway.
Lol, I’ve seen them local here in TN as well. I’m not asking for help. I’m simply asking if it’s pissible to make it legal since it’s coming from a different country besides Japan.
I’m not having it shipped or bought yet. Not sure if you trolling or serious noob. Lol
Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
BoostedLove
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
BoostedLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No.

10char
BoostedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Hassan ask that dude in Antioch with the blue r34 and all the supras.
He’s got it figured out
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Depends on what side of the law your ethics fall under, I’ll say doable and leave it at that.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Dude, no. Come on man. You should know this.

Unless a car is 25yrs old or on the exceptions list you're not doing it legally. That means that you'll have to look over your shoulder the whole time you own the car. Everyone says it will never happen to them then you read stories on Jalopnik about it. If I had money invested into something I wouldn't want it jeopardized my some eagle-eyed cop that might know what's what.

Check the exceptions list. Limited product cars/certain trims are allowed. My friend has a Bayside Blue VSpec car and it's on the list. Just depends.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
fivepointnine

fivepointnine is an unknown quantity at this point
There are ways around it, just look at the Miami craigslist lol. But is it REALLY worth the risk? Also the car would face the same scrutiny regardless of the country its imported from...I researched it when I was living in the UK.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
No 240.. No id
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Hassan ask that dude in Antioch with the blue r34 and all the supras.
He’s got it figured out
I tried to talk to him, he said he was “busy” but had two for sale. Was asking 120k for them.. obviously so over priced. I might just go with an R35 later on or wait and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Dude, no. Come on man. You should know this.

Unless a car is 25yrs old or on the exceptions list you're not doing it legally. That means that you'll have to look over your shoulder the whole time you own the car. Everyone says it will never happen to them then you read stories on Jalopnik about it. If I had money invested into something I wouldn't want it jeopardized my some eagle-eyed cop that might know what's what.

Check the exceptions list. Limited product cars/certain trims are allowed. My friend has a Bayside Blue VSpec car and it's on the list. Just depends.
Yeh, I just thought I maybe keep it off-road. I honestly just really like the r34’s and always wanted one. Having some friend who own them overseas doesn’t help either. I think I might go with an R35 or just wait.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
98+25 = 123

year 123-124, thats when Im getting the right car finally
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #11
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by No 240.. No id View Post
Lol, I’ve seen them local here in TN as well. I’m not asking for help. I’m simply asking if it’s pissible to make it legal since it’s coming from a different country besides Japan.
I’m not having it shipped or bought yet. Not sure if you trolling or serious noob. Lol
I find the last part ironic cause tbh i'm not sure if you're trolling or serious lol it doesn't matter where the car comes from

I found this with 1 google search "importing a vehicle for off road use" and it was the first link

Importing a racing vehicle.
If the vehicle was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle, it can be permanently imported into the U.S. under Box 8 on the HS-7 Declaration form that is to be given to Customs at the time of entry. The importer must obtain a letter from the vehicle's original manufacturer confirming that it was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle. A copy of the manufacturer's letter should be attached to the HS-7 Declaration form that is submitted to Customs when entry in made. In this instance, no approval from NHTSA is necessary to import the vehicle.
If the vehicle was not originally manufactured as a racing vehicle, it can only be imported on a temporary basis under Box 7 on the HS-7 Declaration form. A NHTSA permission letter is necessary to import a vehicle on this basis. NHTSA grants permission in annual increments for up to 3 years if duty is not paid on the vehicle, or for up to 5 years if duty is paid. If the vehicle was originally manufactured for on-road use, it would have to be in full race configuration at the time of importation, and lack equipment and features needed for on-road use.
Information on importing vehicles for racing purposes is available on NHTSA's website at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/racing.

Either that or get a show and display eligible vehicle, which you can drive on the street for 2500/mi/yr. Must be 99 GT-R V spec Midnight Purple II or 02 R34 Skyline GT-R M-Spec Nür.

I have an acquaintance who recently got an R34 GT-R if you're really about that life and need a legit source to get one from. Took a little while to get it but he seems satisfied.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
PatPs13
Leaky Injector

PatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enoughPatPs13 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Either that or get a show and display eligible vehicle, which you can drive on the street for 2500/mi/yr
Sounds like this is the easiest route. If you drive more than the 2.5k miles just roll the odometer back..
PatPs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
jakeykunSR20

Trader Rating: (2)
jakeykunSR20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatPs13 View Post
Sounds like this is the easiest route. If you drive more than the 2.5k miles just roll the odometer back..
Easiest if you find specific models that are on the show or display list. Otherwise it's extremely difficult to have your car meet NHSTA requirements due to historical significance and rarity.

This site has a bunch of great information on show or display cars:

http://www.showordisplay.com/
jakeykunSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by No 240.. No id View Post
I think I might go with an R35 or just wait.
That's like saying the super model I wanted didn't want me so I'll take her fat retarded sister. It's all the same
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
lol its funny that you assume the country of origin has anything to do with it.

if the car was italian, and never sold in the US and didn't meet our crash testing or emissions, if would still need to be legalized and imported the same way a japanese car would. if it was russian or french or (insert country name here) and (see above) then it would still (again see above).

country of origin doesnt matter, the import rules apply across the board. taking a japanese car that isnt legal, then taking it to dubai for a few years won't magically make it legal in the US.

next dumb question thats been answered repeatedly for years and years? maybe you can ask how to smog an SR20 in california.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just do it through a legit company such as rivsu
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Either that or get a show and display eligible vehicle, which you can drive on the street for 2500/mi/yr. Must be 99 GT-R V spec Midnight Purple II or 02 R34 Skyline GT-R M-Spec Nür.
1990 R32 GT-R Nismo (VIN BNR32100000 - BNR32100562)
2002 R34 GT-R M-Spec Nür
1999 R34 GT-R V-Spec II Limited Edition

OP, the last one is your best bet unless your pockets are infinitely deep. Someone on base here bought an M-Spec Nür from a local dealer ship. The asking price on the lot was about $120,000...but there's only like 285 of them. Anyone asking that same price for a V-Spec II is just a fat cunt.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Only 300 of those too.

http://www.showordisplay.com/2012/10...34-v-spec.html

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #19
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Oh wow. So they actually asked NHTSA and they said 'Limited Edition' means MP2 only? I thought V-Spec II in general were good to go.