Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Kyo7557

Trader Rating: (0)
Kyo7557 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20det transmission shifting intermittent problem

While driving I can shift fine, but when I come to a stop, it sometimes won't let me shift into any gear or gets stuck. I would manage to get it into gear if I were to roll the car a bit or go try to play with it by going into other gears then 1st if it let's me.
I plan on changing fluids soon. Hopefully it will help.
What do you guys think of this problem with it being intermittent and all?
Kyo7557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
like the car is in neutral and won't go into any gear? or its stuck in gear and won't allow you to go into neutral and then into another gear?

redline mt90 is GOLD for ka and sr trans. if you aren't using it already, swap NOW
odds are, the synchros are getting worn and causing trouble. not uncommon with higher mileage transmissions.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
Kyo7557

Both. But it happens once in awhile when stationary. Its fine while driving.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
Dirk Jan
Leaky Injector

Dirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of light
Clutch not fully disengaging? Try changing the clutch fluid and giving it a good bleed. Also make sure the cilinder/pipes aren't too close to a heat source (manifold, turbo if you're running one).
Old 04-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
Clutch not fully disengaging? .
totally a good thought. if the clutch master or slave are leaking, your clutch will still be partially engaged, even when the pedal is down

with the engine OFF, does it shift smoothly through the gears?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Kyo7557

Pretty sure it's not the clutch. I changed the slave cylinder and bleed it recently. I would stall or move the slightest if it were. Yes engine off, it's smooth.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
also check your clutch pedal assembly for play...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Dirk Jan
Leaky Injector

Dirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of light
Did you have this problem before replacing the slave cylinder? Are you sure the system is fully bled? If you still have the clutch damper assembly there could be a little air trapped in there still as they can be quite hard to bleed. Try removing it and bleed again.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/clu...k-removal.html

You could also ask someone to press the clutch paddle, get under the car and see if the slave cylinder is extending as far as it should.

The fact the car is shifting smoothly with the engine switched off does point towards the clutch not fully disengaging, as with the clutch depressed the gearbox shouldn't spin when the engine is running. And therefore should feel the same.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If you take all the rubber/plastic away from the shifter, so that its just a shifter and nothing else, you should be able to hear the insides of the transmission spinning. When you push the clutch, you can hear them slow down and stop. They should slow and stop fairly fast when you hit the clutch pedal.

Sounds like clutch isn't fully stopping. Another way to tell is that when sitting still, going to reverse always grinds. Reverse in many SR trans made before 1997 is unsynchronized so if the clutch isn't fully stopped it will just grind no matter how long you wait.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Kyo7557

After the slave was changed, it was fine for a few months. I recently bleed it again with my friend and it is extending. No grinding what so ever.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
Kyo7557

I believe it's the pressure plate failing or master (no leaks or air though). I noticed the clutch not disengaging all the way.