Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #31
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Nice build! I saw you mention concern over the turbo to manifold nuts coming loose. I purchased these OEM Nissan locking tabs years ago and have never had an issue since:

https://frsport.com/Genuine-OEM-T25-...ab_p_8123.html

I had the same problem when I first got my S13 but installing the OEM nuts and locking tabs solved the issue for good. It's been many years now without running into that issue again. You might already know this since I know the build is still past tense, but figured I would mention it.

Enjoying the thread- keep it going!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #32
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
This kit was made by a Zilvia user named Jsimpson, he’s banned from our marketplace now but I scooped these up second hand for about $100 including the clutch line.

All in all high pressure PTFE lines are insanely hard to do right without the correct tools, it’s worth buying the chase bays kit in my opinion.

As per the battery tray I believe 12 or 14 gauge, it’s relativley thick. I honestly do not know though, I get all of my material from a local surplus store that sells by the pound. I just buy what feels right for a given job.

The JSimpson kit is very nice and he does still sell them. TBH he didn't do anything "wrong" other than selling brake line kits without a advertisers account or whatever. Just hit up Jimmy Simpson on facebook or something. I have the same kit in my coupe and love it.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #33
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Nice build! I saw you mention concern over the turbo to manifold nuts coming loose. I purchased these OEM Nissan locking tabs years ago and have never had an issue since:

https://frsport.com/Genuine-OEM-T25-...ab_p_8123.html

I had the same problem when I first got my S13 but installing the OEM nuts and locking tabs solved the issue for good. It's been many years now without running into that issue again. You might already know this since I know the build is still past tense, but figured I would mention it.

Enjoying the thread- keep it going!
I've considered these tabs but they make servicing the turbo difficult since they're a fatigue part that need to be replaced every time for the best result and I'll either go with safety wire or deformed copper which I've seen and used extensively in the racing world.

Regardless thanks for the recommendation and kind words!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #34
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
We've always and only now tach weld the studs onto the manifold and use Stage 8 locking nuts. We did this on every build that requires this and it seems to work wonders for about 5+ years now..

https://www.stage8.com/

Have this set up on my KA-T and I drive the living crap out of it on track. No problems with it ever. Use to have the OEM locking tabs, and somehow it still found its way to back out over time.

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #35
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
YUP Stage 8 lock nuts are the perfect solution! The mechanical lock works great.
Replacing the manifold studs with new Inconel studs from Flyin' Miata is even a better combo!
That way theres no worry of old fatigued stretching studs which also causes gasket failure even if the nuts don't loosen, particularly on aftermarket manifolds. I think the oem manifold actually has Inconel studs, but I still replaced mine with new FM Inconel.

The deformed copper are one time use, and can still loosen up. Safety wire seems hit or miss, also a pain to do with the turbo in the car.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #36
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Okay, so this next post is going to be a bit of a catch all that covers my last few months at Mazworx, a vacation, working at Real Street and some other bits in between. Wish me luck on stringing all of this into a coherent story!

So around the end of my time at Mazworx I started doing more freelance media work because before the opportunity arrived at Real Street I was considering doing media full time. That resulted in me doing a variety of projects including YouTube blogs and more photography, including my girlfriend which all of you guys seem to love lol.

Around this same time I also started getting more into fabrication, again just trying "jobs" out to see what I liked. I did quite a few custom valve covers for people on Zilvia and still do if you're interested!

I also did some of the external gate OEM SR manifolds and would like to make more of these!

All of this fab work paid off and gave me some side money which I quickly blew on an LS. To be honest I love SR's I just don't have a ton of faith in them, not because they're bad engines but because I know that I don't have the budget available to make them reliable at the power I want to make. So long story short the LS is the backup plan for the SR sorry guys!

This engine is stupid clean and has low miles, it's actually a GM warranty engine! It's a standard 5.3 LM7 that I plan to do a heads and cam swap on and push about 400HP N/A. So far I've just bought some swap bits and did some aesthetic upgrades such as painting the valve covers, re-looming the coil pack harnesses and some ICT billet pieces including their valley cover and alternator bracket.

Now with the rest of the money earned from my odd jobs I went on a vacation with Andie to New Orleans before starting at Real Street. This wasn't the best financial decision at the time but anyone who knows me personally knows that I have horrible anxiety and I was very nervous to quit my jobs and start a new "harder" one.

Long story short we went to the French Quarter where I used to live and I had a great time being able to get out of my own head and enjoy life for a bit. I wish I had some pictures to post of this but I never finished editing them so maybe I'll edit this post later.

Now we'll pick up with me coming back to Florida and starting at Real Street. Not a lot happened for my first 3 or so months working here since I didn't receive commision during my transition (for non sales folk "commision" is the percentage we make off of the parts we sell you and is what is a big chunk of our income).

During these few months I decided I was done with the headache of running Megasquirt on my SR and the lack of support for it and ended up selling the computer and my Racepak dash. With that money I bought an Enthalpy setup and tidied up some things on the car and got it running again.

I've since started to drive it more and even went to the last OSW event of the year and got a few runs in, sadly the day was cut short when my CAS backed out. Without a timing light I had to eyeball the placement and limp is home. Anyways here's some pictures of the car in its current state as well as a custom shift knob I made on our lathe when I was bored.

All in all the car is pretty fun and I'm moving on to making it prettier until the SR spits its guts out. I'd like to do a roll and pull all around to get the car to sit better, repair my pignose bumper or get a new one so the car can have a face, do a new oil pump since I don't trust the 25 year old time bomb in this engine, and probably wrap the car and maybe add carpet. We'll call this chapter "The Little Things".
Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #37
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I can see why people like her, she's adorable haha seems like you found a keeper!

Don't be so hard on the sr man! It's all in how you maintain and tune them. I beat the shit out of my daily driven stock internal s13sr for 8 years that I had imported and swapped in 2008. Sold it in 2017 and it still had 180psi in all four cylinders lol. They can be a gamble sometimes, but you eventually learn what they like and how to keep them happy.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #38
jdmnissanfan

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmnissanfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sub to a badass build!
jdmnissanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #39
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

I haven't had too much happen with the car lately, I've been mostly in money saving mode and busier buying things like computer parts and furniture.

In some spare time I did make a shift knob for a coworker. He wanted a Tomei knob that was about 1" taller. I'd say it didn't come out half bad for eyeballing the taper and having to do everything by hand with no DRO.

You'll also notice I picked up the LRB center console and an OEM shift boot, this made the car much more enjoyable to sit in.

Now I just need to dye my carpet and throw it in and get a new wheel that's been through less hell.

I also picked up a set of rear mud flaps for $20 (suck it all of the $200+ FS ads. lol) I plan to get the Dorki Dori V2 skirts and fix my pignose bumper or get a new to me one to complete my "aero". Also pls don't make fun of my bumper gap, I've really tried everything to fix it lol.

That's about it for now, in a couple of weeks I plan to tackle an oil pump in about 4 hours so I'll try to get a few pics of that along the way.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #40
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
How much does that shift knob weigh?? The non contoured one??

I made one a while back and loved it! Care to make another??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #41
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
How much does that shift knob weigh?? The non contoured one??

I made one a while back and loved it! Care to make another??
So I'm not sure which one you're asking about but the one that's mine (the larger one) comes in at about 410g, the other one well, it's less than that I really don't know because I no longer have that lol.

I'm always down for more practice on the lathe, shoot me a PM!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #42
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Seeing the V8 just made my day!!!! Welcome to the club!!!
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #43
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Seeing the V8 just made my day!!!! Welcome to the club!!!
Haha, thank you. Sadly it's just sitting mostly because the transmission for it is depressingly expensive.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #44
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
T56? Trust me I know, I paid $1300 for mine, then added the MGW short shifter and clutch lines. It will well be worth it once done, and turn heads everywhere you go.
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #45
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
T56? Trust me I know, I paid $1300 for mine, then added the MGW short shifter and clutch lines. It will well be worth it once done, and turn heads everywhere you go.
Yeah, mostly it's because I refuse to buy a beat used one because I know it'll have issues and I also refuse to do the adapter kits for a Z32 trans which I already have because the idea behind the LS is to be the opposite of my SR.

I want everything to be available parts that I can get from Autozone if need be vs special ordering or custom making parts all the time.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #46
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bump, wondered why your other thread didnt get updated. Seeing this makes me want to finally start my thread but i've been too busy with work and school to do it. That and busy enjoying the car since its my daily.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #47
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
More pics of the girl please.
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #48
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
she reminds me of