Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enjin Send a message via Yahoo to Enjin
brown stuff in radiator fluid

I bought this car and noticed that the radiator overflow tank was very dingy with brown stuff all on the bottom.

I thought it couldn't be good, so I drained the radiator fluid. very brown. I open up the radiator cap to see brown in the radiator. so I flush it with about 10 gallons of water into the same container. the brown from the radiator disappears. I take off the hoses, to see brown residue in the top radiator port or whatever.

is this indicative of anything? best way to fix this is to just hook everything back up and run fresh water through it 5-10 times?

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Enjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
CSil80
Banned from the Marketplace

CSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfection
Most likely just old rusty water in your system. Give it a good flush.
You're not having any over heating problems are you?
CSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

Enjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enoughEnjin will become famous soon enough
no overheating problems.

I am having bad idle problems, so in true OCD fashion, I am taking everything apart and cleaning it.

I was really wondering (since probably just rust/corrosion), how extensive it is, and to where it reaches? is my entire engine like this?

edit: iron block... ka24de... thinking probably yes, so basically IS IT A PROBLEM? or is it allllllright

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
SnakeKack
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
SnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of lightSnakeKack is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SnakeKack
Most of it I would think would be settled at the bottom of your radiator. A few months back I took my radiator out and stuck the hose in the lower hole while holding it upside down till all the brown stuff was done coming out.

But flush your whole system anyway. The Prestone kit at Autozone makes it easy.
SnakeKack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
shade
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
shade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just keep flushing and flushing, use the Prestone cooling system flush. Use use distilled water too.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
CSil80
Banned from the Marketplace

CSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfectionCSil80 is close to perfection
If you're not overheating then I don't think your cooling system is causing a bad idle.
The ONLY thing I can think of that might contribute to that is a bad Coolant Temp Sensor. They're only like $5 at Autozone.
CSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
ill_concepts
Zilvia Junkie

ill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfectionill_concepts is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ill_concepts
Ya most likely a temp sensor
ill_concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
jackjack
Post Whore!

jackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfection
flush the hell out of it. get a temp sensor. you should be fine.
jackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
nightkid86
Leaky Injector

nightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nicenightkid86 is just really nice
On OBDII cars there are 2 temp sensors (one for the gauge and one for the ECU) the one for the ECU is the one that has a say in idle and IIRC it is more than $5.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
What kind of coolant was run before? It looks like it might have been Dex-Cool.

If a system running Dex-Cool isn't properly bled of air, then it can react with the coolant & create a snotlike gunk that will f up your passages & radiator. RMI-25 cleans that shit out like nothing. Google if it you need some. It's reallly popular with the guys in bobistheoilguy, a bunch of them have domestic blocks that used dexcool in the past & messed it all up, RMI-25 cleaned it completely out.

When it's time to fill up with coolant again, flush your system with some radiator cleaner & distilled water until it's clear, then fill with the OEM nissan stuff OR Zerex G-05 with some food coloring of your choice (due to the light color of G-05) & bleed your system well.

Your problem might not be like this, but here's a case of an iron block & Dex-cool:

Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
silviaz
Zilvia Junkie

silviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-known
yurk!! that's not good for the engine!
silviaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Enjin
Zilvia Junkie

wow looks like afterbirth placenta shards BIFF

thank you for the help, definately will do that

1991 Nissan 240sx

www.tractionoptional.com

Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #13
Tokona-x
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (140)
Tokona-x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 140 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Tokona-x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjin View Post
wow looks like afterbirth placenta shards BIFF

thank you for the help, definately will do that
LOL!! Seriously that looks super nasty man friken chunks ive never seen that before

I have five speed bolts if you need any
Custom 2+2 E brake Cable brackets sold here!!!!!

Tokona-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
mia1987

mia1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

I just bought a 91 nissan 240sx automatic. When it was taking for a test drive we found out that third was completed gone. The dude had been running straight water in his radiator and let it sit in there for a while now its all rusted out. Tried putting transmission fluid in it but when i tried to drive it home it wouldnt go above 30mph and then it overheated. The resevior is cracked and rusty water/transmission fluid got all over eveything. Got the car towed to a friends house. I am hoping that the engine is still good and that its just the trans. Does anyone have any other idea's or do you think the motor is beat?
mia1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Previous owner of my SR put DexCool in it in Japan. It's nasty, and even after flushing it a ton it still coats everything. I might try that RMI-25 stuff and see what it does. The Prestone coolant flush stuff doesn't do anything.