Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
stripped flywheel threads

as i went to install my flywheel last night and was torquing down the pressure plate....i discovered that two of the threads are stripped out.

what are my options here? Could i rethread it myself? Or would this throw off the balance too much? Would it be close enough since i'd be taking a little material off, but using a bigger bolt?

Would i hafta have a machine shop to it and rebalance everything?

FYI, it's a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel.
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would imagine all the bolts would have to be the same size and nearly same weight as not to throw off the balance. Probably going to have to do all of them unless you can helicoil or whatever the alternative is for steel.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
i called up a machine shop and he said he'd put in helicoil inserts. he said there would be no need to rebalance. even though the inserts are steel. i would be inclined to trust the word of an engine builder, but i just wanna get some more opinions
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Helicoil is your best option, by far. Drill/tap for a bigger bolt (maybe the next SAE size up from your metric size) would work, but does introduce harmonics into the crank bearings, so I'd definitely helicoil first.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

helicoil is just a threaded insert correct?? Seeing as how it would be steel vs. aluminum....wouldn't it introduce a slight imbalance?? or wouldn't it be significant
Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Flywheel doesn't get hot enough for different expansion curves to matter, and the weight of the helicoil itself is insignificant. Do it, save that flywheel!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

thanks man...i'm taking it in to the engine builder later today
Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Just have it balanced after whatever you decide to do. Done.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Just have it balanced after whatever you decide to do. Done.
Word.

As for the question, yes, it'll be a few grams off due to the stainless steel insert vs. aluminum(which is crap when aluminum flywheel manuf. don't use helicoils). It's pretty far out there, so I'd worry about the balance.

All said and done, I'd probably just helicoil ALL of the PP bolts and not worry about the balance after that or stripping the threads out.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

well i just got back from having it done. of course the guy didn't have any metric helicoils...so i think he used a 5/16" (whatever was closest to what was in there) and i got some matching bolts to use. I ended up having 3 of them done since another one of the threads looked questionable.

I asked him to balance it, but after putting in the inserts he checked it out and he said it didn't need to be balanced.

I would have liked to get them all done seeing as how easy it is to strip out those soft aluminum threads, but it would have been pretty expensive ($11.25 for each insert). I probably should have done that seeing as how i got the FW for only $200, but hopefully it will be good to go and won't cause any problems.

On to removing the pilot bushing!!!...
Old 06-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i stripped mine on the fidanza i had..
i just tapped it again and it worked fine.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
jinesz32
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
jinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to beholdjinesz32 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jinesz32
i stripped my fidanza as well, i drilled it, and put new thread, works perfect.
jinesz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
yyeeah.. those threads are pretty damn soft
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
WangonwWarrior
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: Amerika24 alabama: Where if your not first..... your last
Trader Rating: (15)
WangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Helicoil is your best option, by far. Drill/tap for a bigger bolt (maybe the next SAE size up from your metric size) would work, but does introduce harmonics into the crank bearings, so I'd definitely helicoil first.

+1 helicoil is much stronger too
Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
I dunno.. i thought I fucked up threads before.. and just tapping them made them reusable. Go figure.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

well all's good with the flywheel now. got the clutch mounted, T.O. bearing, pilot bushing, and everything else replaced.

btw, grease method FTW for removing a pilot bushing
Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #17
adsmithy

Trader Rating: (0)
adsmithy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had this issue myself with one of my threads. What torque are you guys using? I went to 35ft/lbs.
adsmithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
OUch i had this happen to one of my cranks...
Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
babowc
Post Whore!

what?

we're talking about the ones on the flywheel where the pressure plate bolts to.. not the crank.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

i also went to 35 ft lbs

oooooh...not the crank, that would be a much bigger problem
Old 06-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
I dunno.. i thought I fucked up threads before.. and just tapping them made them reusable. Go figure.

-Bart

It does make them reusable if its the same size.. Re-tapping with the same size is pointless...infact, thats just called cleaning the threads. These guys are fooling themselves if they think they can just re-tap and its good.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
gotta240
Post Whore!

gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Turbo View Post
well all's good with the flywheel now. got the clutch mounted, T.O. bearing, pilot bushing, and everything else replaced.

btw, grease method FTW for removing a pilot bushing

What is the grease method?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
babowc
Post Whore!

pack it with grease until it just comes out.

i personally thing slidehammer is alot easier..
Old 06-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tang View Post
but you then must force the grease to force out the bushing. by filling up the inside of the PB with grease, and using a tool (i used a backwards socket with an extension in it so the end was flat) to pound the grease into the crank.....the grease forces the bushing out.

it's just relying on hydrostatic properties to pop out the old bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tang View Post

i personally thing slidehammer is alot easier..
it's probably quicker and easier....but grease is a lot cheaper

Last edited by 96Turbo; 06-28-2008 at 09:02 PM..
Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #25
gotta240
Post Whore!

Sweet. Thanks.