Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
BosoZenki

Trader Rating: (0)
BosoZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Auto to Manual Clutch line?

My S14 was bought originally as Automatic but recently I had bought a 5spd s13 KA24 and transmission. Would I need the auto to manual clutch line or the normal clutch lines. I noticed the auto to manual lines are longer, would it be necessary for the swap?
BosoZenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Hiighboost2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
Hiighboost2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hiighboost2
You can use the stock hard line from a manual car if you have access to one or just get the conversion line.
You will also need a master cylinder and slave cylinder if you don't already have those.

Instagram @hiighboost @iasperformance
Hiighboost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'll be nice and answer your question before the flaming starts. You need the auto to manual line. The oem line on cars that came factory five speed is shorter because there are hard lines that run from the clutch master to the slave (technically they run from the master to the damper box and then to the slave). Your factory automatic car lacks the necessary hard lines so you will need the longer auto to manual conversion line which will connect the master directly to the slave. I actually run a auto manual line on my factory 5 speed cars because it is a easy way to bypass the damper box.

I'm assuming by your post that you are in the process of gathering parts for a 5 speed swap and that the car has not already been converted. If it has already been converted to 5 speed then whatever line you have now will work fine as the s13 trans is the same (more or less) as the s14 trans.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
BosoZenki

I was given a factory Hardline for the swap from a buddy, but noticed that people were saying a rubber line was also needed. So I was looking at the steel braided auto-manual clutch lines. I have not yet gathered all the parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
I'll be nice and answer your question before the flaming starts. You need the auto to manual line. The oem line on cars that came factory five speed is shorter because there are hard lines that run from the clutch master to the slave (technically they run from the master to the damper box and then to the slave). Your factory automatic car lacks the necessary hard lines so you will need the longer auto to manual conversion line which will connect the master directly to the slave. I actually run a auto manual line on my factory 5 speed cars because it is a easy way to bypass the damper box.

I'm assuming by your post that you are in the process of gathering parts for a 5 speed swap and that the car has not already been converted. If it has already been converted to 5 speed then whatever line you have now will work fine as the s13 trans is the same (more or less) as the s14 trans.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosoZenki View Post
I was given a factory Hardline for the swap from a buddy, but noticed that people were saying a rubber line was also needed. So I was looking at the steel braided auto-manual clutch lines. I have not yet gathered all the parts
just get the braided line from master to slave - cleaner and less headache
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Mr.Doback
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Mr.Doback is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here are your options so it is clear.

1 - Factory hard line from clutch master to factory clutch damper. Since your car doesn't have the damper (good) you can just run the factory soft line from slave cylinder to the end of hard line, you just need to bend the stock hard line. If you do this route, take it easy when bending, but it helps to use a brake like bender. In addition there is a factory bracket that holds the hard and soft line to the chassis but it is NLA from Nissan along with hard line, these items would have to be sourced used or you can bend your own hard line.

2 - Same as above but instead of rubber line from hard line to slave, you can get the stainless line.

3 - Last option which is the SS Auto to Manual conversion clutch line from various manufacturers; ISIS, Agency Power, Chase Bays, etc. This line is 52" (IIRC) and runs from clutch master to slave. Only downside is that it kinda just hangs, you will need to get some rubber fasteners or something so its not just dangling above transmission.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
BosoZenki

Thanks for all the info guys. Helps a lot. My only concern is how they are labeled, the lines from the Hardline to the slave. Are they just called clutch lines? Some the product descriptions aren't too specific.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Mr.Doback
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Mr.Doback is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. Helps a lot. My only concern is how they are labeled, the lines from the Hardline to the slave. Are they just called clutch lines? Some the product descriptions aren't too specific.
Everything is called a clutch line or clutch hydraulic line but if it says Auto to manual, that is the long 52" hose. The short line (ss or not) has a male and female end. Autozone even carries the soft rubber line for $13.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
There's a short rubber line that goes from the slave cylinder on trans to where the factory hardline ends. It's the same concept as the rubber lines for your brakes in the wheel wells, if that makes sense.

I'm running the factory hardline and a Nismo SS line for my swap.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Just buy this http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...0sx-89-98.html and be done with it. Its eaisier and cleaner then using the hard lines.

But if you are dead set on using the hard lines your buddy gave you you will need this to replace your missing short rubber hose that goes from the hard lines to the slave. http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...0sx-89-98.html you could also just go to autozone and get the cheap rubber replacement as already stated above. Just ask the guy at the counter for a clutch line and they should be able to find it in their system.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote