Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
SilviaSlave0694

Trader Rating: (0)
SilviaSlave0694 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decent suspension for s13

Hi. I realize that this question has been asked of sorts many times. However, I have looked around on this and other 240sx related forums, and simply haven't found a proper answer for me. What I'm looking for is not an elitist argument of which is truly better as far as brand, but simply what is decent for my needs. I just got an 89 s13, but it needs all new suspension. I'm looking to get some adjustable coilovers. I don't know a whole lot about suspension, but what I am aware of is that no coilovers are going to make for a super smooth luxury ride. Keeping that in mind it is my daily driver and I dont want to be jarred every time I take a small speed bump, but I do want it to be somewhat track worthy in a hobby sense such as going once every few months to play around in my spare time. I am looking to spend somewhere around 800 max unless somebody gives me a reason I should want to spend more. I hear a lot of people rocking the stance coilovers love em, but I also hear a ton about megan and pbm. Can we just shed some light on what brand is going to give me a solid semi smooth ride for the speed bumps at my apartment complex and any minor bumps in the road but still be alright to take out and drift a bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Save up more money, or buy something used.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
SilviaSlave0694

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Save up more money, or buy something used.
Thats all well and good, but I still need something to save towards. Even if I were to have 1500 or some even higher insane amount which from the prices I've seen would probably be overkill for me I still need to know what I should be chasing.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you look in the coilover thread?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
SilviaSlave0694

@Fuego

Yea man I've been looking at coilover threads on multiple forums for like 4 days now.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
SilviaSlave0694

From what I'm reading Im leaning towards companies like Tein, kts, hks, and ksport. Anybody have any opinions on these for the type of driving I said I'm looking to do. I know my dad is driving a g35 with an hks set and his felt smooth and would still go sideways as hell without breaking a sweat.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Soooooooooo you already found the coilover thread, and you've spent 4 days reading through it and all the info about coilovers and all the opinions people wrote about coilovers, but you STILL thought you should write another thread?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaSlave0694 View Post
From what I'm reading Im leaning towards companies like Tein, kts, hks, and ksport. Anybody have any opinions on these for the type of driving I said I'm looking to do. I know my dad is driving a g35 with an hks set and his felt smooth and would still go sideways as hell without breaking a sweat.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tein...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=kts+...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=kts+...ilovers+review

https://www.google.com/search?q=kts+...review%20240sx

What you're doing isn't anything special. You can drift "without breaking a sweat" on any coilover on the market. What you want to daily one is 100% your discretion, but don't expect a good ride at your price range.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
SilviaSlave0694

And this is why I don't like posting on forums. Yes as I said in the original post. All of the stuff ive read for the past 4 days is people trash talking each others suspension and arguing their opinions on the damn brand names. I want opinions on the feel of a ride from those who own different reputable brands because reading "hey this is my adjustment setup on my megan coilovers" doesn't help me because I'm not that advanced. I want to know more along the lines of "Hey I have this brand and it rides smooth, and is a solid piece for more than daily driving." Also even with my limited knowledge I know that you can get a decent ride for around 300 more than what said. I don't mean to be a jerk but please if you don't have a model of suspension and a useful word about it good or bad then please don't just flame me and ask why I made another post, or link me google searches for the brands. I'm capable of searching and I made the post for the same reason 80 other people made their own, which is because I haven't found an answer to my needs.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Buy stock replacements then.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
SilviaSlave0694

Once again that doesn't help man. Im looking for info on coilovers because i don't want stock suspension.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have KYB AGX's with Tein type S springs, with pillowball mounts.

on settings 1f/1r its as smooth as stock

for aggressive weekend warrior i like to run about a 3f/5r

for track / extremely aggressive driving ill switch it to 4/7, and it feels nice and stiff. My total price is like 350, cause i got them used + pillow ball mounts. you can find tons and tons of suspensions for sale that will be way under your budget.

I've also ridden in a car with RSR springs / KYB GR2's. it was low but the non-adjustable struts left me wanting more stiffness.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
SilviaSlave0694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
I have KYB AGX's with Tein type S springs, with pillowball mounts.

on settings 1f/1r its as smooth as stock

for aggressive weekend warrior i like to run about a 3f/5r

for track / extremely aggressive driving ill switch it to 4/7, and it feels nice and stiff. My total price is like 350, cause i got them used + pillow ball mounts. you can find tons and tons of suspensions for sale that will be way under your budget.

I've also ridden in a car with RSR springs / KYB GR2's. it was low but the non-adjustable struts left me wanting more stiffness.

What does a set like that cost new.

Edit: ignore that i can google it lol
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

^That's too advanced, bro.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
I<3BEWBZ
Zilvia Member

I<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the rough
Save up, buy PBM's
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
SilviaSlave0694

Any opinions on the Tein flex, cusco comp-s, or the ksport kontrol drifts, those are a bit above my price but I could swing it people think theyre a solid purchase.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Godspeeds are great, they last 10+ years from what I've heard.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #18
Steinkrunk
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Steinkrunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm pretty sure any coilover will ride halfway decent at the ride height you're describing. Most coils ride like dick if you try to slam them and crank the dampening up as high as it'll go.

My suggestion, stance gr+ pro's. I had a set and loved them
Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
Nismo_sam
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Nismo_sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have ksport coilovers on my car and I don't particularly like them. I'd save up for fortune auto 500's, I've driven a friends car with them a few times and they are fairly comfortable coilovers that still get the job done on track.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
If you're considering Cusco Comp S, you suck at life and needs to drive on stock suspension for the rest of your life.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #21
twomahs
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
twomahs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i cannot give you numbers or any EXACT specific details. but current i'm running:

Megan street coilovers
Megan RUCA
Megan Rear Toe Arms
Megan Front Tension Rods
Tanabe Front Sway Bar

just from daily driving and occasional 200+ mile trips out of town i can say that it has been a good "bang for buck" set up that might fit your criteria of daily driving with occasional weekend fun. i've drifted my car at track, while also dailiying it to work and back everyday. it's soft but also somewhat firm. but good in a way that it does not rattle your teeth in your skull. now ultimately your car doesn't need an upgraded sway bar. mine just so happen to come with it in the purchase. if you're looking to buy new, it might exceed your expected range of cost. but if you find them used, it might be a bit cheaper. from having this car for 2+years and having these arms and coilovers being used for about that long too. i've had no breaks or binds on them yet and i live in the PNW area. so i can personally say that the product is good so far. if driven more aggressively i can't promise what the results might be like. a lot of upcoming names are beginning to get some recognition so maybe you'd want to look into them? ISIS has been used by numerous professional drifters and they seem to be holding up. godspeed from what i've seen looks to be taking after the PBM construction? i'd recommend their rear toe arms for lowered suspension as it has that bend to improve suspension geometry with lowered vehicles. unless you have money to purchase SPL arms, it's about the same? for the most part they're not too spendy and if you're just looking for a basic set up. i think they'd do just fine.

fortune auto 500 coilovers is like driving on clouds. it's so smooth, but firm. i have two friends who currently daily drive them and it's definitely worth the money if you'd want to spend a bit more?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
eric240

eric240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stance, You won't find a better coilover for the money.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
From reading the OP, I understand you're looking for:

Price: ~$800
Feel: Good on the street
Hard Driving: Once every few months

I'd honestly recommend Megan or Circuit Sports. They both feel "OK" for everyday driving and should be close to $800'ish. Of course, there's better out there, but if your budget is $800, and you want body-adjustable coilovers, those two are your choices, and honestly, I think you'll be pretty happy with them. Just make sure you're not expecting Zeal Super Pooper Function-Z performance out of them.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
For someone on your budget, buy Stance, PBM or Fortune Auto.

THREAD LOCKED!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread