Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
XxHybridx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
XxHybridx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
S13 Pop up Headlight Issue Thread

So my car was in a accident about a year ago, it was hit in the driver side headlight. My car is fixed now and ready to go. My only issue with the car is that the damn headlights don't go up and down. They turn on fine.

I put on working relays from my buddie's s13 and nothing. I also switched a working button on the bezzel that makes them go up and down, but no luck. Theres a couple threads on Nico that show how to clean the contact points on the actual level that turn the lights on. I'll probably try that next.(but i dont think that would stop them from going up and down when i press the button on the bezzel.

Oh and i'm pretty sure the motors work because we attached the motors directly to a battery and they went up and down just fine, so it sounds like an electrical issue.

My guess is when i got hit, the wiring on the relay box by the air filter got damaged.

Any thoughts anybody? Figured people can put their problems on this thread since i know these headlights gives problems all the time.
XxHybridx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That may be the case, check for the wiring on the relay box, I don't remember if there are any kind of fuses since I've gone Silvia front I don't remember much about the flip ups
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
XxHybridx
Zilvia Junkie

XxHybridx is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, and also, when i turn my lights on, if i place my hand on the relay by the car battery, i can hear a clicking/pop sound coming from the relay.
XxHybridx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
tuktuk23
Leaky Injector

tuktuk23 is an unknown quantity at this point
check ur ground homie
little screw on the side baffle by the headlight motor.
tuktuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
thundertiger25
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
thundertiger25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The only two issues I've ever had with my pop-ups, the main fuse was dead but you checked that. The other is to change out the headlight lever by the steering wheel. When I first got my daily it had a similar problem after checking everything else I was like why not? I swapped it and it worked!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
one of my headlights goes up and down faster, how do i sync them up?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what do you guys do to keep the s13 headlights from bouncing up and down. both of my headlights do this and it`s annoying the people in front of me. luckily, i have not been pulled over yet due to this.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxHybridx View Post
Oh, and also, when i turn my lights on, if i place my hand on the relay by the car battery, i can hear a clicking/pop sound coming from the relay.
The wiring for these things are a nightmare. Make sure u go through all the relays/ fuses. Check the fuse that looks like the eng cont fuse on the passenger side. If that's fine maybe get some really long wire and try jumping the headlight from different parts of the wiring. It may allow u to pinpoint the issue. Oh and diffidently check the stalk on the steering column as previously stated.
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
HesterLigon

HesterLigon is an unknown quantity at this point
The other is to change out the headlight lever by the steering wheel.

HesterLigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
soryu
Zilvia FREAK!

soryu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
what do you guys do to keep the s13 headlights from bouncing up and down. both of my headlights do this and it`s annoying the people in front of me. luckily, i have not been pulled over yet due to this.
There should be a metal trim that goes around the headlight to keep it in place.
soryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
sil80d
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
sil80d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The real issue with pop ups is that they are horribly ugly. Except on mk2 and mk3 supras
sil80d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Piggy
Zilvia Junkie

Piggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine had this issue. Though I can't say how to fix because I just left them up from then on.
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
MeGusta.jpeg

MeGusta.jpeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine don't work either, put a brand new headlight switch and still didn't work, how do I connect the motors to the battery to see if the motors are good?
MeGusta.jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
mine won't go up or down either. and i cleaned the switch on the steering wheel like they did on nico but nothing..
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
Kamronman

Kamronman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
hahahah holy crap man!!
Kamronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #16
Kamronman

Kamronman is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody find broken wiring or anything?? I have the same issue, absolutely no operation of my motors. I've repaired multiple broken wires and can't get them to turn on. When I plug in my motor switch, i hear a relay open or close, then when i push the switch i hear another relay open or close, is there a short causing that relay to make a noise when I plug in my switch?
Kamronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
slamburger
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
slamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really nice
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
This just happened to my car about a month ago. If i screw them down manually then turn lights on or flash hi beams they come up no problem. Mine just wont go back down.
slamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I'd set everything so that the headlights should be up, and then remove all of the headlight up/down relays and take a volt meter to check each single socket for 12V. If there's no 12V anywhere that's a good place to start. Then do the same thing with the headlights down. Headlights can go up and down without ignition, so there's 12V around constantly in the up and down retract circuits.

Sent from mTalk
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
XMcEvilson
Zilvia Member

XMcEvilson is an unknown quantity at this point
what years are your cars? anytime I've had an 89 or 90 the headlights worked prefect, 91-93 they're always messed up
XMcEvilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
slamburger
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
slamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really nice
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMcEvilson View Post
what years are your cars? anytime I've had an 89 or 90 the headlights worked prefect, 91-93 they're always messed up

My car is 89. Lights worked perfect up until a month ago. I just leave them up. manually turn them down for track events.
slamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My 92 has this issue. They go up fine, but the passenger side won't go down by itself. I can manually turn it down and it stays down, and goes up again when I turn the headlights on. It just isn't getting the down/return signal I guess? No clue.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #22
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
This mother fucker really bumped this old thread to get his post count up. That should be an insta ip ban
Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #23
Sway500
Zilvia Member

Sway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to allSway500 is a name known to all
I have had the same issue with my pop ups for years. If I screw my pop ups down and turn on the headlights they come up, but will not go down. I have chased everything, but I'm totally here for this thread, someone has to have a solution that works, too many people have had this issue, and it's not the relays, grounds, or anything like that.
Sway500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #24
Xaser
Zilvia Junkie

Xaser is an unknown quantity at this point
The fix is simple, sorry for my poor english, but the system or mechanism work on one way, if you assembly "upsidedonw" the lights come up, or come donw, only one of this.

you must disassembly and put all levers fine, check with other work headlight or other S13.

again, sorry for the bad english
Xaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Oh Em Zee

Oh Em Zee is an unknown quantity at this point
Also have an issue on my 93 s13. headlights go up. headlights don't go down. (but can be manually lowered and stay down just fine)
Oh Em Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 AM   #26
Mysterious Driver
Leaky Injector

Mysterious Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mysterious Driver
Mine use to work perfectly but after fixing them from an accident they were always up.

Now with the new head lights etc. They won't go up when i turn the head lights on but they will go down, no problem. They will only flip up when the high beams are up, has anyone has this particular problem before?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #27
leedle-leedle-lee

leedle-leedle-lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Half of these issues sound like it could be to do with the brown/green wire sleepy eye mod. If you cut that wire and don't install a switch, the lights will go down when you use the button and go up when you turn the actual lights on, but won't go up when you hit the button.

Will get some pictures and maybe a video if anyone needs further clarification?
leedle-leedle-lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #28
Itsuki Takeuchi
Leaky Injector

Itsuki Takeuchi is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree withe Leedle

check that brown wire!

i hate Fanbois wanting to do the sleepy eye mod- cutting the brown wire is the incorrect way of doing it!!!

Search DIY Tengoku on youtube- should be one of the top 5 videos.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #29
akruger34

akruger34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to further gravedig this post, but i noticed my car had the brown wire clipped, I put it back together and now the button makes them go up and then immediately back down. Any suggestions? Headlight stalk operates them as normal
akruger34 is offline   Reply With Quote