Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
kroos268

Trader Rating: (0)
kroos268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kroos268
rebuilt ka24de doesn't start

Hi all
Thanks for reviewing the symptoms and offering any input!

issue: Need to know what other "hooks" to adjust timing on engine that won't start, or what to review that I have not done.

the symptom: engine turns over, tries to start. After about 4 turns of the crank it comes to a short hault and continues to turn over with now 1-2 turns between short haults. Some smoke is coming out of exhaust mani. I imagine cylinders may be filling with unburnt gas causing these haults\jerks.

---- the details ----

This 1996 KA24DE has been rebuilt.

lots of care is given to correct timing chain and cam alignment.

all 4 cylinders have ~135 compression (i.e. aftermark pistons)

the ATX ECU is re-programmed for a turbo, Z32MAF, and MTX by JWT. TX is swapped.

No turbo is connected.

Cylinder 2 has spark. Assumption: All others have spark. Could be bad assumption. Brand new spark plugs, most gapped at 41; though spec is 39-43.

Original spark plug wires and distributor.

The distributor cap has not been apart or investigated. What would you review?

Walboro fuel pump is running during crank pressurizing fresh 93 octane gas to fuel rail. Actual fuel pressure is unknown. Some small hose leaving the back of the fuel regulator (I believe, at rear end of fuel rail) traveling back to intake\throttle body is not connected.

Distributor: There did not appear any special alignment of teeth on the "90 degree gear" driving the distributor. So I just installed it. There is a timing adjustment held by 2 screws to advance/retard timing. I've tried about 5-6 positions within the 1/2" inch of adjustable movement.

Thanks!
kroos268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
do you mean you simply inserted the distributor with no regard for cyl #1 / tdc?

there should be hash marks on the distributor that guide installation with motor set to tdc

even then its very easy to install one tooth off
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
kroos268

Trader Rating: (0)
kroos268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kroos268
Huge help! Thanks I corrected this problem.

The engine cranks smoother now (no haulting sound!) but does not start. There are "throaty pops" coming from the exhaust mani tubes as it turns over & some smoke.

I adjusted disti advance/retard within the 10 degrees allowed with the screws without luck.

Is there any way to ensure all injectors are firing?
Is it possible to have too-weak spark?

any other ideas?

thanks
kroos268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Try playing around with it more. Like aznpoopy said, you can have a tooth off very easily. It'll either make your car run like shit, or not at all.
1slowS13 is offline   Reply With Quote