Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
grnappletree14
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
grnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
s14 s14 sunroof install into a s14 se with no sunroof. need help on what to do.

i just recently got a s14 sunroof from a guy that is parting out his car. my car is a s14 se and it didnt come with sunroof but i want to put it in. how would i install it and what are all the piece do i need to install it. he gave me everything so i think im good. the only thing im consider about is the harness to make it work. when i got it it had a harness on it but i think that harness plugs into the s14 interior harness. since my car didnt come with a sunroof how would i wire the harness up to my car. do i need to get the s14 interior harness from the guy.

also im in socal and if any1 knows where i can get it installed for cheap lmk thanks. this is to hard of a job for me to install. lmk thanks
grnappletree14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
yea this is a very hard thing to do... imo it's not even worth it, probably better off just buying a s14 with a sunroof than putting one in.... nothing beats stock, besides, the extra head room in the s14 w/o the sun roof is very nice. especially if you are 6 feet tall or taller.

and when i say nothing bneats stock, i mean the car didnt come with one so you are fabricating the cuts and everything. hope whoever does it can line up the window with the interrior right or it'l be funny when you roll it back and you can only see outside half the window
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
It'll probably take a lot of work to get it to fit right and fab up some sort of mounting bracket to fit it in there. You'd need the headliner too to make everything look nice. I don't think it'd be worth it because the sunroof models where the sunroof is, the hole in the roof has a lip so that it seals and if you just cut up your normal roof you wouldn't have that.

You're better off just selling me the slider assembly
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlervibes View Post
It'll probably take a lot of work to get it to fit right and fab up some sort of mounting bracket to fit it in there. You'd need the headliner too to make everything look nice. I don't think it'd be worth it because the sunroof models where the sunroof is, the hole in the roof has a lip so that it seals and if you just cut up your normal roof you wouldn't have that.

You're better off just selling me the slider assembly

yea there is a 1 inch lip to help seal it. it's 90 degrees to the sun roof folding towards the inside of the car
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Sunroof conversion for non-sunroof car:

1) Get title to your car in hand

2) Sell it

3) Buy a sunroof model

Seriously, the chances of it coming out right are unbelievably slim. If you really want a sunroof, sell your rare-ass SE w/no sunroof to someone who's taller than you and will appreciate it. Then scout out a S14 with a sunroof.

Oh, and sell that complete sunroof assembly too. There are people that need it

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
1989rps13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (10)
1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1989rps13
yea your better off just buying one with a sunroof...
anyways thread jacking a bit but has to do with sunroof and no sunroof convo..

what are the benefits from having no sunroof to having a sunroof?
i hear the chassis is stronger if it doesnt have a sunroof. The reason im wondering is because i have no sunroof s13 and ive been looking into the s13's with sunroof they just look a lot sportier with it..

what do you guys think?
1989rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The roof sheetmetal is completely different between the two, plus there's a ton of additional supports and brackets. The only right way to do it is to reskin the roof with a new one from a sunroof car. Otherwise the OE sunroof will have nothing to mount to, nothing to seal to, and nothing to keep it from flexing like a wet noodle.

If you want a sunroof, install an aftermarket pop up style. That's the only viable option.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
As mentioned earlier, 240s equiped with a factory sunroof have less headroom for taller people. What I remember reading was, cars with the sunroof are a tad heavier and tend to flex more.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
hustlervibes

hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
I don't see how they would flex more because if they flexed too much wouldn't the glass crack? And the sunroof has it's whole frame supported into the roof to act as a brace to stiffen up the car. The non-sunroof models have a metal supporting bar that goes across the roof for added rigidity.
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
grnappletree14
BANNED

grnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfectiongrnappletree14 is close to perfection
damn i didnt think it would be this hard to do it but thanks for all the comments
Old 06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I really really dislike sunroofs for the reasons above, and because they leak when they age.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
s14kouki_
Leaky Injector

s14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud ofs14kouki_ has much to be proud of
same here, if anything, i always look for SE's without sunroof.
s14kouki_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
origin_s135
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
origin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i know a whole bunch of subaru owners that put the type RA roof vent on top. it's really smaller but shit, it's the same shit.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969272
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
yeah im doing the opposite, I have a sunroof, the kid I bought the car from let some shitty shop plug it, and now i'm paying for it by turning around and having to put a sunroofless skin on the car.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Oh god please don't run that car by putting a sun roof in it.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
manny8430
Leaky Injector

manny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nicemanny8430 is just really nice
IF it helps it was cheap.....lol
manny8430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #17
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
Do what Bam Margera did when he wanted a sunroof in his Lamborghini: Get a Sawzall, and cut one.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
Kriskouki

Trader Rating: (199)
Kriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really niceKriskouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 199 reviews
you have to get the whole roof...not just the sunroof assembly....And, just plug and play.....Taking off all the rear windshield, Quarter panel glasses, and cut off the whole roof.....

if you only have the sunroof assembly, it wouldn't help you at all since you'll be ended up paying a lot of money for the metal fabrication shop.....and I am sure the the quality of craftmanship will not be close to what it is in the stock car....
Kriskouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
When you decide you don't want to do it, I'll but the glass and trim thats attached off of you

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
S14 sunroof

Hey.. If you're willing to sell that sunroof, I'm really interested in the glass and trim thats on it. Let me know.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Lol I'm probably gonna buy it from him next week

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
johnw1415
Leaky Injector

johnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymorejohnw1415 is not welcome here anymore
you should be glad you dont have one, all that weight on the top of your car is not good for performance
johnw1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #23
grnappletree14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
When you decide you don't want to do it, I'll but the glass and trim thats attached off of you

-Bart
pm'd ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Lol I'm probably gonna buy it from him next week
hey let me know if u can buy it off me cuz id rather do locals first

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw1415 View Post
you should be glad you dont have one, all that weight on the top of your car is not good for performance
id dont care about performance just a daily drive. i just want to smoke blunts and cigs with it haha if u know what i mena
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #24
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

if ur gonna want a sunroof so badly you might as well just gooooo

WEST COAST CUSTOMS on that shit and go convertable with your s14. pimp yo ride sonnnnnnnn. lolz