Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
koga_shuko

Trader Rating: (0)
koga_shuko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No crank no start

Hey guys so the other day I parked my car in my driveway after a drive to the supermarket and came out the next day to head to work and my car wasnt starting. Everything powers up and there is a click that sounds more like a relay than my starter.

Tried jumping the car - no luck

Car is a 93 s13 hatch with a sr20 redtop...auto page alarm xt33...

check all fuses and they tested okay. tested my starter relay im getting about 44 ohms (NOT SURE IF THIS IS ACCEPTABLE FOR THIS RELAY) between 86 and 87 everything else checked out.

Starter is grounded.
I checked the constant voltage at the starter and its good
I also applied battery voltage to the signal terminal and you can hear the starter clicking like normal. I tested for battery voltage with my brother turning the key at the signal wire and we had a constant zero to the signal wire over several tries.

Running short on time so I'm looking for a little advice!

Where can I check for continuity in the circuit to the signal wire?
Is there anything that would prevent me from getting voltage to the signal wire aside from a break in the wire
-Ignition switch?
-Security system issue?

I also checked resistance of my clutch pedal sensor cant remember what is was but there IS resistance and also voltage to the sensor was right around battery voltage.

My dash was apart to pull my gauge cluster earlier in the week but the car was running fine for about 3 - 4 days so I don't think thats related to my problems.

Any advice would be great I have a pretty busy schedule so if you guys could point me in any sort of direction that would be great or point out anything I may have overlooked . Need my s13 running again!
koga_shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer? Don't beat the shit out of it, just tap on it a few times while someone else is tries to turn the key over in the ignition.

If you can tap it and free the starter up that will point to the starter beginning to seize up.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
koga_shuko

Yeah I tried that also....no luck at all.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you're putting 12v to the starter relay(on the starter) it should engage the flywheel and spin. There are a lot of "one-click" no start threads so start searching and testing.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
koga_shuko

Okay fellas so I jumped the the clutch relay found on the left side of the engine bay and the car started up finally. I did leave the jumper wire in there while I took the car for a drive. Parked and now its not starting again. Did I fry something by leaving the jumper wire in there (5 prong relay). I thought maybe it was my battery cause it had dropped down to about 10 volts earlier so I jumped started it again and nothing, same symptoms as before. Had it tested at advanced and it tested good but I noticed it has a bulge on the side so im just going to replace that regardless. Going to hook up another battery and see what my results are. Need some guys who really know electrical to help me out I would like remove this whole circuit (because its giving me a headache) if its not necessary.

Went from a grand moment of triumph to utter frustration haha.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
So you can manually click the starter solenoid by hot wiring it?
have you tried hot wiring the main voltage post on the starter? to see if it spins

your starter solenoid works as a relay so (MAKE SURE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL!!!)activate the solenoid and do a continuity test from the 2 main starter posts

it looks like you've covered your bases really well and if everything you said is true and I read it correctly it looks like your starter solenoid may not be functioning correctly (its only doing half of its job)