Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #31
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Lol the OP hasn’t posted once since the initial....what a shit show
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #32
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is great! I love this forum. All the turds from the Facebook group are scared to come here because there is way to much common sense in here.
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #33
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
NO. tuzzio is actually pretty spot on. The Kaaz is inherently loud and clanky in every single aspect. I think you have to either use Kaaz special diff fluid or dino (140w or whatever) dino gear fluid to quiet it down "some". Not entirely. But some. Just rolling through a parking lots causes all sorts of wild horse bucking and nasty gear noises. Fuck dat life!

Just because it works doesn't mean it doesn't suck at everything else.
you're only convincing the FB kids reading this that a welded diff is more comfortable than a 2-way.

if you have any sort of finesse with the clutch a 2 way is not more "uncomfortable" than a welded diff, because, you know, you can unlock the shit with your clutch pedal
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #34
beems240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
beems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i just reshimmed a vlsd, hands down the best diff i have ever had... and i got it for $30 "blown" plus like $20 for the shims. very quiet and locks nicely
Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #35
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by beems240sx View Post
i just reshimmed a vlsd, hands down the best diff i have ever had... and i got it for $30 "blown" plus like $20 for the shims. very quiet and locks nicely
pretty sure you're driving around on an open diff.
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #36
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes_FTW View Post
you're only convincing the FB kids reading this that a welded diff is more comfortable than a 2-way.

if you have any sort of finesse with the clutch a 2 way is not more "uncomfortable" than a welded diff, because, you know, you can unlock the shit with your clutch pedal
Wrong

Have you driven a Kaaz 2 way?? Clutch (gearbox) and Diff are not mutually exclusive. The Kaaz has an inherent operation which has no bearing or is affected by clutch.

And please distinguish between comfortable and operation. The welded diff doesnt clunk bang and pop (comfort). The 2 day is loud, obnoxious and annoying (not comfortable)

Outside of that, the 2 way OPERATES better than a welded diff. The welded diff is an absolute shit idea in and out.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #37
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Mine is this big 8=================================}

Have we gotten back to the main purspose of the thread? OP please stop the damn nonsense and get back to us what you find, as silly as it might be....
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #38
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Do KAAZ diffs have a lot of preload or something? That's the only way I could think that it wouldn't function as a two way should (clunking even when clutch is in)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #39
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Do KAAZ diffs have a lot of preload or something? That's the only way I could think that it wouldn't function as a two way should (clunking even when clutch is in)
I am going to emphasis this again; the gearbox clutch has no effect on diff operation. They are only coupled by a long ass tube. Nothing else.

Its all to do with the clutch plates and how the diff functions. Shimming will not fix it.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=332229

2 Way diff thread and all the folks experiencing these issues. Normal SOP for a Kaaz way............
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #40
humancola
Leaky Injector

humancola is an unknown quantity at this point
Sadly, even if there is an advertiser special on proper diffs... granted I've been rolling a VLSD for ages, i doubt it even locks much anymore.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=654532
humancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #41
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Cheaper than a quafe
Old 02-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Wrong

Have you driven a Kaaz 2 way?? Clutch (gearbox) and Diff are not mutually exclusive. The Kaaz has an inherent operation which has no bearing or is affected by clutch.

And please distinguish between comfortable and operation. The welded diff doesnt clunk bang and pop (comfort). The 2 day is loud, obnoxious and annoying (not comfortable)
Gonna have to disagree with you here.

A cam-type mechanical diff needs torque input to lock. This drives the spider gear cross-shaft into the cam ramps, forcing the clutch packs together, and locks the 2 output shafts. That torque comes from the engine accelerating the car, or the car decelerating against the engine.

When the clutch is disengaged, very little torque is being transmitted to the diff.

With the clutch in and decelerating, the only torque transmitted through the driveshaft to the diff would be generated by the friction of the constant-mesh gear box, hanger bearing, u-joints, etc. This is a very low value and not enough to lock the clutches, in my experience with my KAAZ 2-way.

Hell, the locking effect on decel is very subtle even with full torque. The locking effect is quite pronounced when accelerating through a turn at low speeds however. For example, pulling into/out of a spot in a parking lot. That requires a tight turning radius, so there is a large differential in rear wheel outputs, and a very high torque input from the torque multiplication of being in first gear. The result: alternating sounds of the inside tire skidding, and the clutches popping as they slowly slip past each other, fighting the cams and input torque.

And for the other side of the equation, with the clutch in, obviously the vehicle cannot accelerate, and so the diff would be operating on its deceleration ramps as described above.

Quote:
Outside of that, the 2 way OPERATES better than a welded diff. The welded diff is an absolute shit idea in and out.
I agree with you wholeheartedly here. A 2-way certainly has it's maintenance and comfort drawbacks, but there's no denying it's operation is superior to that of a welded diff.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #43
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn you all are assholes, maybe this is why the forums are dying. there are many reasons why people choose a welded over LSD even if they have the money for an LSD they choose welded. for one a welded is very reliable for drifting, you know its always locked up unlike an lsd. for two lsd's wear internally and eventually you will have to take it apart and replace the clutches. the same could be said about tires but with tires you dont have to take anything apart. for a daily i do agree an LSD would be better but for a drift car/ weekend car a welded will be just fine.
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #44
PowerDrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
PowerDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGfbqSakkfg
hmmm maybe a welded diff wasent the best idea for drag racing. i lose traction on every gear. Its plate welded and been fine for 5 years. Thinking maybe 2 way
PowerDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #45
beems240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
beems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes_FTW View Post
pretty sure you're driving around on an open diff.
Pretty sure you're an idiot.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #46
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
i thought a "spool" was the right way to do a welded. The reason people shit on welded- is because its been welded by who knows who and how? You weld something and you had better X-ray it, take samples, measure temperatures, i.e. when they pour concrete for buildings samples get sent for a stress test and they break it in a machine and record the force it takes, all this data you will might/need to be sure the result is going to take the stress of the racing abuse- And you are going to drive this thing around a race track of some kind without that data?

unnecessary risk
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #47
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oLemurs View Post
damn you all are assholes, maybe this is why the forums are dying. there are many reasons why people choose a welded over LSD even if they have the money for an LSD they choose welded. for one a welded is very reliable for drifting, you know its always locked up unlike an lsd. for two lsd's wear internally and eventually you will have to take it apart and replace the clutches. the same could be said about tires but with tires you dont have to take anything apart. for a daily i do agree an LSD would be better but for a drift car/ weekend car a welded will be just fine.
Wrong. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and if you have thick enough skin and don’t need safe spot on the internet you can learn a lot and maybe even contribute. A lot of these guys have been in the “game” before 240s where hoonibro cool. Then for some reason all the hillbilly white trash had to turn drifting into dukes of hazzard and nascar (remake with Johnny Knoxville and that other dude) and ruin these s chassis cars as well as raise the price for everyone who actually thought it was a solid platform...

So no they aren’t “assholes” they are purists who just enjoy a solid platform.
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #48
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
wolfpack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #49
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #50
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm with Derass. I clutch in my Nismo is silent on tight parking lot turn-ins. However when backing out riding the clutch the diff pops. If I give the car some momentum and quickly clutch back in it goes back to silent.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #51
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I dd a welded diff for over 3 years, 30 miles one way 5 days a week. Never had a problem, just would get weird looks at gas stations/ in paring lots. To get back on topic I think the op needs a alignment or maybe has two different tires on the rear. I've had my fair share of welded diffs and never once did the car pull to one side. Just sayin
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:24 AM   #52
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
I saw an open spot, clutched In, made my sharp low speed turn silently.
I chuckled and said "fuck a welded" also, tire wear.
This!! Me every fackin' time! lol. I didn't say those exact words but its the little moments with the 2 way that are what remind you why welded sucks ass

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote