Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
99lspwr

Trader Rating: (0)
99lspwr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trans crossmember question..

whats up everyone ! Just picked up a 1995 240 with a 2000 model year sr20 blacktop / 6 speed swap! Love the car and seems to have been put together very well... i did notice something that will bug me and have not found the answer searching around yet... I am guessing they used the original 5 speed cross member since only 2 of the 4 mounting bolts are being used.. The back half of the mount is basically hanging there in mid air... This swap has been completed for a very long time (14 years to be exact) and guessing never posed an issue... But i would like to know what factory or aftermarket cross member is the correct one to use? thanks everyone !
99lspwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just ditch the 6 speed for a 5 speed, its going to grenade anyways if you're ever mean to it.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
99lspwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Just ditch the 6 speed for a 5 speed, its going to grenade anyways if you're ever mean to it.

Car is right at 285 whp, engine /trans only have 10k on them and the trans is perfect .. Do not plan on higher hp levels or drag racing the car so I would hope it would hold up for a bit... Anyone else?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Maybe look in here?

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=362303
slow_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
99lspwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_sr20 View Post

thank u! will take a look
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
So to shed some actual light here, one of the first 10 S13's I bought had this situation.

But 1 of the bolts on each side wouldn't line up. I drove that car daily for nearly 10 years with 2 tranny mount bolts only. It was a 420HP KA-t.

I've also acquired shells with giant bolts mounted into the cabin because the tranny mount holes shifted.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
99lspwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
So to shed some actual light here, one of the first 10 S13's I bought had this situation.

But 1 of the bolts on each side wouldn't line up. I drove that car daily for nearly 10 years with 2 tranny mount bolts only. It was a 420HP KA-t.

I've also acquired shells with giant bolts mounted into the cabin because the tranny mount holes shifted.

So would you recommend finding the proper crossmember or leave it alone?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike
Leaky Injector

SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure they didn't use an auto cross member for a 5 speed swap?
SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
So would you recommend finding the proper crossmember or leave it alone?

From a safety standpoint? Yes.

Can you imagine the devastation of your transmission dropping on the interstate?

Every time you enter a gear you're shifting stress onto a different set of teeth. If you miss those teeth you're adding instant acute stress which causes jerking etc.

Did I drive with only 2 bolts in mine for a long time, ripping gears? yes.

Would I recommend it? Obviously no. The risk to the car and your life is too great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike View Post
Are you sure they didn't use an auto cross member for a 5 speed swap?
The auto cross member if I recall correctly, would only allow 2 bolts on either side to be mounted. From what he's describing, both front bolts are mounted.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
99lspwr

so should this fix me up?

https://frsport.com/Nismo-3137S-RRS5...t_p_26316.html
Old 12-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #11
99lspwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
From a safety standpoint? Yes.

Can you imagine the devastation of your transmission dropping on the interstate?

Every time you enter a gear you're shifting stress onto a different set of teeth. If you miss those teeth you're adding instant acute stress which causes jerking etc.

Did I drive with only 2 bolts in mine for a long time, ripping gears? yes.

Would I recommend it? Obviously no. The risk to the car and your life is too great.

The auto cross member if I recall correctly, would only allow 2 bolts on either side to be mounted. From what he's describing, both front bolts are mounted.
tried to upload a pic, but would not work... basically the front left and right crossmenber bolt holes (in chassis) are not being used, the rear threads (in car) are being used with front bolt holes of crossmember... rear crossmember bolt holes are just hanging in mid air... If any of this makes sense lol
Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
that kit looks like far to much money to spend, just find an s16 6 speed crossmeber. or knock one up out of steel.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #13
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
They pop up on eBay from time to time, or post a want to buy message here. I needed one when I swapped my car & had to hunt one down. They are out there.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #14
99lspwr

thanks for all the help everyone.. can anyone recommend a short shifter? from what i came up with, they are 6 speed specific and not very common..
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99lspwr View Post
thanks for all the help everyone.. can anyone recommend a short shifter? from what i came up with, they are 6 speed specific and not very common..

C's made one, but are pretty rare. I've been eyeballing these from Australia on eBay, but never looked into actual feedback

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUBE-Speed-...NaCj8t&vxp=mtr
Old 12-17-2017, 03:55 AM   #16
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
it wouldn't surprise me if a short shifter for other cars that use the the 'asin' 6 speed box fitted an s15 box. so look at an mx5 one etc..
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
+1 the auto cross member