Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
240sx_

Trader Rating: (0)
240sx_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24E turbo build or SR20DET?

Hey guys, I’m new here and I wanted some advise from you guys. So I’m looking into purchasing a 240sx, it’s an automatic 1990. What I wanted to know is, what would be my best route to go with and how do I get there? My first choice was to do a SR20DET swap with a manual swap at the same time. Or would a KA24E turbo build be a better route? The engine has 240,xxx miles on it.
240sx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Better route to get to what?

[old man] You kids need to have some stated goals and some definition about what you're building towards. Building for the sake of building doesn't get you anywhere. [/old man]
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
240sx_

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post

[old man] You kids need to have some stated goals and some definition about what you're building towards. Building for the sake of building doesn't get you anywhere. [/old man]
Just looking for something with a little bit extra power that I can daily. Just a step up from stock is really what I’m looking for. I’m not trying to build a drifter or anything like that. Don’t know if that clears things up or not.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Are you a good wrench or aspiring to be one? 30-year-old 240 doesn't make the best daily, especially once your start modifying it.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
240sx_

Quote:
Are you a good wrench or aspiring to be one? 30-year-old 240 doesn't make the best daily, especially once your start modifying it.
Yeah I can wrench. As far as it not being a good daily, do you mean as in ride quality or how so?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I mean a 30 year old modified car isn't the most reliable thing in the world.

You can't pass smog in CA with an SR, and generally if someone is asking questions about ka-t it's probably not going to happen.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
240sx_

Quote:
I mean a 30 year old modified car isn't the most reliable thing in the world.

You can't pass smog in CA with an SR, and generally if someone is asking questions about ka-t it's probably not going to happen.
A 30 year old modified car can be as reliable as a 10 year old modified car, I think it all depends on how well you maintain it.

As far as smog passing, that’s not a concern for me.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

I agree, setting goals you can reach before you start a build is very important. If you don't you'll be left with a car that you don't want to drive. I've seen so many cars that never get finished because the owner sets unrealistic goals.

As for which is better, SR for sure. You can slap a turbo on the KA24E, but its not going to last long in stock form with that kind of mileage, bottom line.

If this is your first time diving head first into a swap, I'd suggest you find a clean, all stock, SR from a local importer with a warranty. Do yourself a favor and purchase a brand new harness from Wiring Specialties and get it running. Once it runs you have a base to build from, starting here means you can enjoy the car while you decide what you want for it in the future.