Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Zenkilove490
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Zenkilove490 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Need advice to rid bouncy pbm coilovers

So I recently purchase a set of s14 powered by max coilovers retail $1100 and I've heard great review so I decided to try them out.

After playing with all the damp settings I noticed they are bouncy coilovers and every bump is harsh. I used to have a set of megans and they werent as bad as these .

Do you think I need to play with the preload?

Or are they just hard and bouncy becuase they are a Taiwan made?

I don't know I'm suprised I haven't read any reviews about this issue.

Any suggestions would be much apreciated. ..
Zenkilove490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
megans are also made in Taiwan. There are only a few places that actually make coilovers, much like shocks/tires/batteries. They just make it to the desired specs that the client suggests.

Which megans did you have? Besides the racing versions, megans have a lower spring rate (8/6), compared to PBM's 10/8.

Bouncy and harsh are two different things. I've had bouncy coils, they are blown if bouncy (well....the dampener isn't working, we'll say that). Harsh is just the ride that a high (stiffer) spring rate offers.

If you're looking for something a bit more street worthy (I understand you just spent 1100 bucks and you may not want to do this), you may want to look into something that has a more balanced. I used to have JIC FLT-A2's, and for my kind of driving, were just too much. I switched to Apex'i N1's with a 6/6 balanced spring rate and love them. Just enough for some spirited corners, but able to drive over train tracks without losing a few teeth. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
You could go w/ stiffer springs. Or return them.

Idk. I've always rocked Megan's
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
ABSOLUTELY LOOOOVE MY Nismo coils. The struts say "KYB" on them too so I can only imagine that nismo and kyb got together and designed some really sick well balanced units for the 240sx. The ad says "track edition, not recommended for street use" but honestly the ride is sooo smooth and slick I can't imagine why.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You need to get something with a softer spring rate. I went from 12k/10k Fortune's to 8k/6k DG5's and it was amazing how much better it rode.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Suicunes

Trader Rating: (0)
Suicunes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My PBM coils aren't harsh, or at least I've always loved stiff suspension so that may be it. . That's a price to pay to be low and to have a good stiff set up for an underpowered car at the track.
Suicunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Adjust preload. If there is spring droop then its gonna be bouncy.

tighten the spring collar till the spring is seated and doesn't move then add 1-2 turn on it and see how that feels.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Also, you don't need stiff springs to be low. Going from 12/10 to 8/6 I kept the same ride height and scrape stuff less because it doesn't bounce on road deformities and instead the suspension soaks it up.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Zenkilove490
Zilvia Junkie

I think they were Megan basic they were red with black springs. I bought a black coupe years ago already installed
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Zenkilove490
Zilvia Junkie

I believe Pbm have independent ride height adjustment so I doubt it will change but will have to look into the different springs to see if that works. I also have stock s13 wheels on my s14 so im kind of thinking since the tires are so skinny they react to the road deformities a lot more because less rubber idk but thanks for the info guys
Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Adjust preload. If there is spring droop then its gonna be bouncy.

tighten the spring collar till the spring is seated and doesn't move then add 1-2 turn on it and see how that feels.
This could also be your problem. Not enough spring preload.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
Zenkilove490
Zilvia Junkie

So I found out part of my problem was that my wheels weren't balanced lol I do feel a difference in ride quality
Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your problem is poor coilovers. For that kind of money the best you could get are fortune auto's.

All the low cost coilovers have badly matched compression / rebound ratio, so you cannot set them up properly. You will either get rebound right and it will feel sloppy, or compression right and it will be harsh on anything that is not perfectly flat.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote