Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Basic question about dist. cap and rotor

re. 1992 240sx

1. Timing question: I had my distributor out today as I was removing timing chain guides. I have the crankshaft postioned so timing pin points at the tdc mark on pulley. My distributor rotor is pointed at the no. 4 cylinder. I assume this is ok? Just 360 degrees off?
2. The picture below shows my dist. cap. It seems to be missing the center piece? The would start but ran extremely weak and smooth. I put another dist. cap on but car would not start at all. I assume my battery is weak.

3. this is my rotor. never seen one with a hole in it but it has worked.

Last edited by surreybc; 08-11-2008 at 03:06 AM..
surreybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

surreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond reputesurreybc has a reputation beyond repute
changed rotor, jump started and reset computer but car does not start. only turns over.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Bomber 570
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Bomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfectionBomber 570 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bomber 570 Send a message via MSN to Bomber 570
Chances are your not getting spark, check your connections and make sure everything is grounded properly.
"Why would you buy a gun, unless you intend to kill someone?"

Both are retarded statements.
-Im In Your Post-
---Stealin' Ur Reps---

Bomber 570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
ka-turbo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-knownka-turbo is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My distributor rotor is pointed at the no. 4 cylinder. I assume this is ok?

i believe your tdc when you did it you should of went anothe 360 on crank pulley soo that it is on compreesion stroke and your distributor woul be poitning at cylinder 1
Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-turbo View Post
My distributor rotor is pointed at the no. 4 cylinder. I assume this is ok?

i believe your tdc when you did it you should of went anothe 360 on crank pulley soo that it is on compreesion stroke and your distributor woul be poitning at cylinder 1
I think so.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

The center terminal on my old dist. cap seems to have fallen off while I had it off. I think that is why my car ran so weakly when I first tried to start car.
I tried a new dist. cap but car does not start (only cranks). I'm thinking I ruined the distributor somehow.

Not sure why there is a hole in my dist. rotor. I know that was there when I took distributor out of car so my car runs with that hole existing in rotor.( i have tried a new rotor to no avail)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

hmmmm I wonder if my car could be flooded. would it remain flooded the next day?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Silverstreek
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Silverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really niceSilverstreek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
maybe this will help?
Technical Articles: 240sx Distributor Timing
Old 08-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreek View Post
That is the article I followed originally. thanks. My timing is fine. the center terminal of my dist. cap fell out while I had the cap off. The car ran a bit with this faulty dist. cap.., but I think I damaged something or flooded car as I can't start with new distributor cap.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #10
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

delete delete. delete

Last edited by surreybc; 08-04-2008 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
surreybc
Zilvia Junkie

Must have been flooded because it now works perfectly where it didnt work at all before. exact same setting with nothing touched. worked fine on at least half the tooth. i guess just running it with bad timing can flood it.
if i had just pulled dist. out and not moved anything i think i would be fine. all my marks were exactly the same the first time i tried with broken dist. cap. the dist. gear rotates coming out but rotates the same amount in opposite direction going in.

never flooded car before this.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreybc View Post
Must have been flooded because it now works perfectly where it didnt work at all before. exact same setting with nothing touched. worked fine on at least half the tooth. i guess just running it with bad timing can flood it.
if i had just pulled dist. out and not moved anything i think i would be fine. all my marks were exactly the same the first time i tried with broken dist. cap. the dist. gear rotates coming out but rotates the same amount in opposite direction going in.

never flooded car before this.
A piece of advice. Whenever you are pulling the dist out of the head, DON'T ROTATE THE SHAFT!!! Unless you're doing a timing chain job, you shouldn't ever need to reset your timing.

Also, I'm pretty sure that your main problem was the dist cap. Once you pulled it out and the center tip broke off, rotted off, etc. you needed a new one. But then you started messing with the timing and kept trying to start the car with the timing off, hence the flooding. You just kept dumping fuel into the cylinders with no spark. You should only ever cank your motor about 3 times max. If it doesn't start after that, stop cranking!

Usually when you replace the dist. cap, you should replace the rotor too. The best OE replacements out there, IMO, are Borg/Warner, and Nippon/Denso.