Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
VR Gaming?

Hey guys, I don't know anything about VR gaming. I've starting looking into it recently, but the shit's confusing as hell. Do I need a console or a serious gaming PC for a decent VR experience? I haven't owned a console since my PS3 died and my laptop is a weak little bitch. Apparently some can run right off of your phone or something? I dunno...

I'm mainly looking for something the family can have fun with together.
My hardcore gaming days are long gone, but my 4yo daughter is just starting to get into gaming.

What do I need to know about VR systems?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
EDT007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
EDT007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you're looking to get a good experience with one of the more popular units (Oculus Rift, HTC Hive) then you're looking at either buying/putting together a decent PC. Look at both of their sites and they should give you a list of hardware requirements. You can use this to see what's available and pricing. Hope this helps.
EDT007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Im not into consoles so much, but I got the impression the vr sets for the ps4 was very popular. With the xbox Im not sure they ever got anywhere. That might be the cheapest way to get into vr. The only risk to this is whether the vr headset is compatible with the ps5 when that gets released.

I do have a pc with decent parts, but its my opinion that vr isnt worth getting into right now dud to lack of games and the vive being still more expensive than Id like. Mostly its just lack of games. I may get vr in the future but def not now.

There was also an easy to miss discussion on this on the pc builds and hardware thread.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Yall tryna break the bank... Any hardcore VR gamers in here are welcome to share their input but I'm not spending $700-$800 for a casual VR experience to impress my 4year old... lol...

I'm looking for a value buy for the casual user. What do you guys think of the Google Daydream?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
If your phone’s compatible, $100 seems like it’d be worth it as an experiment if nothing else. If it’s the $400 standalone google vr unit, no way.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
^ as what he said, your phone is just about it. any smart phones should be fine as it is compatible.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Idk if any smart phone would be compatible.

On the product website they show a list of phones that work with their VR contraption. I have an lg v20 and an older iphone 6 plus that’s not among that list. I think it’s just a good idea to be cautious and inquire before ordering.

It seems obvious but on the amazon store page I read comments of ppl buying the vr headaet headset and then finding out it’s not compatible wirh their phone. It also gets me concerned of compatibility issues with phones out in the future.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The PSVR and PS4 seem like the simplest and most affordable way to get into it. The reason I haven't jumped in is there hasn't been any absolute killer games that NEED to be played. I was hoping GT would have been it (VR is still a more natural fit for a game like that) but the VR features were kind limited IIRC so I said fuck it.

I can't tell yet if there will be a next gen version or if they put that on hold for a few more years.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Im with you on that ^

I get the sense the psvr is the best overall value. Its nice too that the regular ps4 performs well without the need to get the ps4 pro. If you already have a ps4, its a no brainer given a bundle’s around 250-300.
The only con is lower video resolution closed to 1080 but I think thats very reasonable a compromise given the ps4 hardware.

I’m tempted, but would rather wait until the ps5 comes about maybe in a year and a half, and see what options are avail then.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ga...1235379/review
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Phone VR vs PS3 vs PC are very different in terms of what you get out of it.

That order is cheapest to most expensive. I have a Daydream, got it for free with my Pixel XL. I rarely use it, not at the products fault, but I just don't care to game too much. When I have used it though it is fun. If your phone is daydream compatible, maybe look up some of the Daydream games. If you like it, go with that. It has a little controller that can be used in various ways with the game.

I have not tried a PS3 or PC setup yet, but PS3 I assume will have better quality of games just due to the fact that the PS3 is better than a phone.

PC, I only really know about racing sims, and I personally eventually want to get a PC so I can do some VR drift stuff. But a PS3 with Gran Turismo is way cheaper as far as a racing sim is considered.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/16/...les-3-million/

This is a good sign.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post

I forgot this was a thing.

[quoteThe fact that Sony brags frequently about sales while rivals Oculus and HTC are largely silent on the subject says a lot about the PSVR's success. That's likely because it only requires a PS4 console and not a pricey PC like the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. There's also a lot of high-quality content on the PSVR, with 340 games now available.[/quote]

Yeap. Vr pc requires some powerful hardware. A few hundred dollars on top of a pricey rig is a lot.

I am still sleeping on VR for now.

I want something like a KOTOR 3 style game for VR.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
SmoothBobby

SmoothBobby is an unknown quantity at this point
"I want something like a KOTOR 3 style game for VR."

I second that.
SmoothBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #14
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I have the VR for the PS4. Its acutally pretty fun watching my son play as well as others. I also play sometimes with my son. It's pretty good for the price point and I also don't have to buy a gaming computer to play. The downside is that it is okay for the regular PS4 or gives more for the PS4 Pro. As some games are not compatible with the older PS4 like GT which requires the pro.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote