Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
mjr321
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
mjr321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need transmission help bad!!!

Okay it's three in the morning over here and still under the lift trying to get the damn transmission to line back up after changing the clutch it's an s13 with an s14 sr20det having really bad clearance issues, any tips?!
mjr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
4x4 block between the downpipe and the chassis (or undo the motor mounts a bit and get the motor to tilt back). The tilt helps a bunch when getting the tranny back on.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
mjr321
Zilvia Member

mjr321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright any other tips??
mjr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
mktachibana
Leaky Injector

mktachibana is an unknown quantity at this point
wow their really is no secrets. Its just a pain in the butt in 240s. As for advice the advice your wanting it really depends on how much your willing to work. basically if you dont want to do anything to adjust the engine then to get it past the fire wall rotate it counter clockwise just make sure you watch out for clutch fork hitting the fire wall.

If your willing to work their are a couple things you can do to give more clearance. Most effectively lower the crossmember. You dont need to remove it to far i would say about an 1", 1 1/2".

Another would be to like someone already said tilt the engine. you can do this by lifting a the front with an engine hoist or you can put a jack stand under the front of the engine.

Those are probably the 2 easiest. i heard about the exhuast method but never actually tried it. Just seems like their would be to much strain on the turbo elbow or turbo if you were to do it since that is a crap load of torque you would need in order to tilt and engine. And lastely you can remove the engine which would take the longest but easily give clearance.

Also since it sounds like you never put a tranny into a 240 you'll find once you pass the firewall and clearance issues. Their is a 1inch gap that you'll run into that seems almost impossible to get past. from personal experience dont force it.
mktachibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
kris
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Massage the lower corners of the firewall with a hammer is the other way. Really its a huge pain in the ass your gonna have to learn how to finesse it in.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
mktachibana
Leaky Injector

mktachibana is an unknown quantity at this point
true that is another way. I have also heard though that if you start hammering out the firewall to make clearance though make sure you put a primer on if you crack the paint to the bare metal or it will rust. I attempted to hammer mine out but after a couple swings i didnt see any difference but i heard that this works as well.
mktachibana is offline   Reply With Quote