Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Reversing Wheel centres

i have 2 piece wheels,

16 x 8 +32 ET

if i reverse them how do i calculate the offset then? or can i?

also, where can one source or inquire about sourcing wheel discs, like just the wheels without the centre?

i imagine they use the same rivot spacing.

i remember seeing a place that did that before but i cant remember where i saw it or even where to search.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Mikes14240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikes14240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mikes14240sx
If you could reverse them the offset would depend on the center piece's location on the wheel for caliper clearance. You know what i mean?
Mikes14240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
wanganwonder
Zilvia Addict

wanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to behold
it wouldn't be -32?
wanganwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
i'm not sure,

i have a feeling it would look right up front, and i would need some seriosu flares too, because i need an 18mm spacer to clear the front brakes anyways.

perhaps i should run them reversed out back and get some 7 inhc wide meshies and reverse them up front.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

stlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of light
i know this thread is 4 years old but i have the same question..... anyone have a clue? i have 2 piece ssr formulas...
stlthftr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Think about it. If the wheel is a +32 offset and you mount the barrel backwards in the same fashion that it was originally mounted in it would the be -32. Offset is a measurement of how far off the center of the rim the face of the hub is.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

stlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of lightstlthftr1 is a glorious beacon of light
well that wasn't the question i really was asking, my question goes like this:
i have a pair of ssr formula 2 piece wheels and i just had the bright idea of flipping them so the back dish is the front dish, can it be done should i attemp it and where would i find torque specs? i heard of people doing this before but unsure if it was with 2 piecers.....
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Think about it. If the wheel is a +32 offset and you mount the barrel backwards in the same fashion that it was originally mounted in it would the be -32. Offset is a measurement of how far off the center of the rim the face of the hub is.

Not exactly, I made this pic a while ago to explain the same theory with a +0 offset wheel. In addition to just flipping the face on its "axis" you have to take into consideration the thickness of the wheel hub (Disc), as thats now facing the opposite direction.

Just Imagine that the offset is at +32 as opposed to 0.

Edit: Ignore....

Last edited by sidewayz240; 10-03-2008 at 12:43 PM..
sidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlthftr1 View Post
well that wasn't the question i really was asking, my question goes like this:
i have a pair of ssr formula 2 piece wheels and i just had the bright idea of flipping them so the back dish is the front dish, can it be done should i attemp it and where would i find torque specs? i heard of people doing this before but unsure if it was with 2 piecers.....
The look of the inner and outer lip is differrent so as long as you don't mind the look of the inner disc it is fine. If you want torque specs and info on where to get parts why not contact ssr or RB motoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewayz240 View Post
Not exactly, I made this pic a while ago to explain the same theory with a +0 offset wheel. In addition to just flipping the face on its "axis" you have to take into consideration the thickness of the wheel hub (Disc), as thats now facing the opposite direction.

Just Imagine that the offset is at +32 as opposed to 0.

Theres a few different ways 2-piece wheels are made but I'm 99.5% sure that you cannot flip a 2 piece wheel as the face will always be facing the same direction.
I said if you mount the disc in the same fashion as it was originally mounted and simply reverse the drum. Your pic shows the center disc mounted on the opposite side of the lip in the drum, which would affect the offset. Why do people fail at reading and thinking so badly?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Quote:
Why do people fail at reading and thinking so badly?

Easy captian, sorry we all arnt perfect like you.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Easy captian, sorry we all arnt perfect like you.
If the center disc was originally mounted towards the outside of the rim then you couldn't mount it towards the inside anyways, or vice versa, because the center disc was not intended to be mounted like that. Common sense dude. Don't get all whiny and bitchy because you failed to use your brain before you typed and I had no problem with pointing it out.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Less talk more photo.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

[quote=racepar1;2359542]The look of the inner and outer lip is differrent so as long as you don't mind the look of the inner disc it is fine. If you want torque specs and info on where to get parts why not contact ssr or RB motoring?

quote]

thanks for your input man, so you think as long as i find tq specs i can do it semi-safely?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
The look of the inner and outer lip is differrent so as long as you don't mind the look of the inner disc it is fine. If you want torque specs and info on where to get parts why not contact ssr or RB motoring?

I said if you mount the disc in the same fashion as it was originally mounted and simply reverse the drum. Your pic shows the center disc mounted on the opposite side of the lip in the drum, which would affect the offset. Why do people fail at reading and thinking so badly?
because you're not really making sense? flipping the barrel around is the same exact thing as flipping the face around.

maybe it would make more sense if you posted pictures

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
If the center disc was originally mounted towards the outside of the rim then you couldn't mount it towards the inside anyways, or vice versa, because the center disc was not intended to be mounted like that. Common sense dude. Don't get all whiny and bitchy because you failed to use your brain before you typed and I had no problem with pointing it out.
Okay fair enough. But why do you insist on being such a douche? My last post was niether whiny or bitchy.

For my sake and I'm sure that of others viewing, how about you post a pic showing how a +32 offset wheel has a -32 offset when flipped, I cant quite wrap my brain around that. A reply without an asshole remark would be nice, but judging from your posts other places those are few and far between.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Quote:
You are only right if the mounting flange for the wheel center is in the center of the wheel or if the wheel center to hub mating plane is in the same plane as the mounting plane on the wheel center. Otherwise, it doesn't work that way.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pank View Post
because you're not really making sense? flipping the barrel around is the same exact thing as flipping the face around.

maybe it would make more sense if you posted pictures
I have seen it before where the lip on the outside of the barrel has a differrent look to it then the lip on the inside. Like the outside lip is completely smooth and the inner one has a step in it (like most wheels do). I have also seen it before where the inside of the barrel (the part behind the center disc) has a machined finish, but the barrel on the outside (in front of the center disc including the lip) is polished. Sometimes the finish on the barrel is not the same between the side that was originally intended to be the outside and inside. Whatever side of the mounting flange on the barrel the center disc was originally mounted, you should mount it the same way when you reverse the barrel as that is the correct way to mount it.

Quote:
Okay fair enough. But why do you insist on being such a douche? My last post was niether whiny or bitchy.

For my sake and I'm sure that of others viewing, how about you post a pic showing how a +32 offset wheel has a -32 offset when flipped, I cant quite wrap my brain around that. A reply without an asshole remark would be nice, but judging from your posts other places those are few and far between.
The offset of the barrel didn't change, you simply reversed it which means you reversed the offset of the wheel. As long as you mount the center dics in the same fashion that it was originally mounted that is.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
buy better wheels
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #19
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
You are only right if the mounting flange for the wheel center is in the center of the wheel or if the wheel center to hub mating plane is in the same plane as the mounting plane on the wheel center. Otherwise, it doesn't work that way.
thats what i was thinking.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #20
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
The offset of the barrel didn't change, you simply reversed it which means you reversed the offset of the wheel. As long as you mount the center dics in the same fashion that it was originally mounted that is.
but you cant do that. The thickness of the face/disk prevents that, as illustrated:

Post a picture or something, b/c you're getting people confused.

I know what you mean about the face, the rear barrel section of my SSRs was rough, face was polished.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #21
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

either way, offset not being important , or the main question in this case , if I took apart my wheel and reversed the face ,as long as the mounting surfaces mate and i tq the bolts down correctly things should be OK.... right?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Yes, you'll be okay.

I'm glad people are agreeing with me, I thought i was going crazy trying to understand how the offset would stay the same but become negative. The mounting hub of the wheel will be facing the opposite direction dis-allowing the offset to simply switch to negative.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

awesome, now .... any ideas on where to find the tq specs? i emailed rbmotoring but they may not answer me back or may not know...anyone have a direction to point me in?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlthftr1 View Post
awesome, now .... any ideas on where to find the tq specs? i emailed rbmotoring but they may not answer me back or may not know...anyone have a direction to point me in?
Call RB motoring, it takes them forever to answer e-mails.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #25
stlthftr1
Leaky Injector

do you think they would mind? i hate calling places....ugh but i'll do it if i have to
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #26
racepar1
Post Whore!

Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. I forgot to account for the offset of the center disc.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #27
keistyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
keistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond reputekeistyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via AIM to keistyle
bump.
i want to see this done, i may consider this!
im cheap.
keistyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #28
DreEzed
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (15)
DreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfectionDreEzed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I think there was a recent Drift Tengoku magazine showing a couple guys flipping the center. I can't remember what issue probably last month or maybe this month.
DreEzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #29
jdizzy204
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
jdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
wouldnt this only be possible with 3 piece wheels? or am i completely off
jdizzy204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzy204 View Post
wouldnt this only be possible with 3 piece wheels? or am i completely off
doesnt really matter as long as the face is detachable.