Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Rockhoundrob1

Trader Rating: (0)
Rockhoundrob1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice- what to do about missing spoiler?

My son bought a 1989 24SX- fixer upper. 55,000 miles

The spoiler is rotted off and cannot be repaired. This is an OEM spoiler and we could only find one on craigslist, but the guy wants to sell the whole car (junked) and won't part it out.

Seems we only have 2 choices.

1) Keep trying to look for a replacement. Any ideas where we could find one?

2) or take out the clips and bolts that broke off and use Bondo to patch up the holes and the rust spot (where the blue tape is) and paint the trunk only.

Any ideas???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spoiler.jpg (278.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg trunk.jpg (263.3 KB, 58 views)
Rockhoundrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
That wing is a colossal piece of shit. My car in the US still has one and the only reason it's still on my car is because the previous owner stored it in a garage it's whole life.

Now that my rant is over, I can tell you you'd be better off keeping the car wingless. Fill the holes and repaint the trunk. Best thing you can do for the longevity of everything below the hatch.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Rubber D

Rubber D is a well-known jackass
Replica type x wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rubber D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
xschylerx
Leaky Injector

xschylerx is on the path to ruinxschylerx is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
That wing is a colossal piece of shit. My car in the US still has one and the only reason it's still on my car is because the previous owner stored it in a garage it's whole life.

Now that my rant is over, I can tell you you'd be better off keeping the car wingless. Fill the holes and repaint the trunk. Best thing you can do for the longevity of everything below the hatch.
this 100% i hated mine so much i literally ripped it off. wingless hatches over everything.
xschylerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Rockhoundrob1

OK so what is the best way to fill in all the holes?

I looked all over and some say Bondo- but that they can pop loose in a few years.

Other says weld a plate under the hole and fill it in with welding, then grind it down.

Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
unicoder
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
unicoder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you want to get some fiberglass mat, and place it on the bottom side of the trunk and get it on their nice and solid, then apply just a little bondo to the top and smooth it out.

This video will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuwfM7KALoc

5.3 V8 Swap w/ Nitrous
unicoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
xschylerx
Leaky Injector

xschylerx is on the path to ruinxschylerx is on the path to ruin
i used some metal epoxy before bondo, up to you though, guy in the video above is a pro, so id probably do it that way if i were to do it again.
xschylerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Please weld the holes shut and fill the exterior with some light putty bondo and sand smooth. Fiberglass can work if you dont have access to a welder or the know-how. AND DONT BUY THAT CRAP BONDO AT THE PARTS STORE, it is heavy and it sands like shit. Better off doing some research and buying the right product. Just my honest opinion.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Rockhoundrob1

Video from Unicoder looks doable. Some of the holes are not accessible from under the trunk. I guess I need to drill a hole from the bottom to work on the bottom side for some of those holes. Those holes are the ones that had the plastic clip snapped in.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
to patch the hole cut out some circles out of scrap metal that are near the size of the hole and weld it up. once you are done with that apply bondo and sand flat. if you JUST use bondo it could swell up causing you to need to redo the work. trust me i am dealing with the same shit right now, the past owner deleted the antenna and decided it would be a good idea just to layer bondo on.
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Rockhoundrob1

Thanks for the inputs . I am still looking around for a trunk. Hoping just to deal with the holes where the spoiler was and not also rust holes as big as 2 fingers!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #12
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
proper way to fix the rusted hole are cut around the rust, treat rust, then weld a new sheet of metal on.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I just grabbed some round headed bolts from home depot and used some sealant to keep water out then painted them...didn't look the best but was better than holes...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
the heat from welding up the holes can distort the panel.

I learned a good trick for the small holes off a friend of mine, he just used a good adhesive and stuck coins to the inside of the hatch to cover the holes. you could probably use the same method on the larger hole as well.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
the heat from welding up the holes can distort the panel.

I learned a good trick for the small holes off a friend of mine, he just used a good adhesive and stuck coins to the inside of the hatch to cover the holes. you could probably use the same method on the larger hole as well.
Bruh that's bootleg as fuck. Zilvia is not the place for that honda fuckboy shit. Take pride in your car and ffs fix it properly. It really isn't difficult. Take that shit down to bear metal/ cut out any rust, weld in new metal, fill with fiberall, sand, prime, paint. Then you won't look like a moron with a rusted out pos hatch.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The way i fixed mine was a fiberglass patch on the inside, and body filler on top., a lil primer and paint and you are good to go
Old 09-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Rockhoundrob1

Well my son found a hatch for $40. Holes only and looks like no rust ( AND it is red!).

We will go look at it tomorrow
Old 09-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
glue and coins. LOLLLL

I saw someone one time fill an exposed rear wiper hole with a black plastic plug and a little bit of caulk to seal it up. it looked nice and subtle, but it was only one small hole. it looks like you've got a few there. you could probably get away with that in the mean time to keep the water out if you have intentions to buy another hatch down the road. check this forum, local junkyards, local FB groups for part outs if you don't want to fix and repaint

edit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1994-N...-/273427445362
its probably too far away of a drive, but if I can find that in 10 seconds, you can find something locally eventually.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote