Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
S14 wiper arm pivot needs replacement

My S14 wipers have been doing an increasingly terrible job of clearing the windshield. I pulled the wiper cowl plastic cover to investigate. Both wiper arm pivots are worn out. There is significant slop in the plastic bushings. The driver's side pivot is so sloppy it no longer applies enough pressure to keep the wiper blade in full contact with the windshield. Unfortunately, that's the side I usually sit on when I'm driving in the rain.

Nissan no longer makes these wiper pivots. The driver's side pivot shares the same part number with 95-99 Maximas. There are aftermarket parts available for the Maximas. I've been thinking of buying a Maxima set. Driver's side pivot should bolt in and work well and hopefully I can modify and fit the passenger side bushing too.

Has anyone found a proper, long term solution to repair these wiper pivots? I'm aware that the typical 240 owner's solution to all problems is to just leave their S-chassis on jackstands 24/7 but I'm not interested in that.

dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im not sure if its the same exact part that you are looking for but there is a wiper pivot mount that somebody has made a 3d rendering of for 3d printing on thinkiverse. maybe this can be of help to you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28948
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeyes221 View Post
im not sure if its the same exact part that you are looking for but there is a wiper pivot mount that somebody has made a 3d rendering of for 3d printing on thinkiverse. maybe this can be of help to you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28948
Yeah, I saw that. It's labeled to fit an S13 and I just assumed the S14 was different. Maybe it'll work on both. I have a 3D printer and a spool of black ABS. Guess I'll print some out and see if it fits.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it fits id go a step further and reprint it in polycarbonate if you can, just to make sure it wont break or warp easily after its installed.
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

I tried printing new pivots in ABS plastic but eventually gave up. Printing in ABS is difficult and the prints kept warping. I found an aftermarket replacement wiper linkage on Rockauto, one of my most hated parts companies. I begrudgingly gave them 58 of my hard earned dollars for wiper linkage WL2495 shipped to my door. Went to remove the old wiper pivots from the car and of course, the bolts just spun in the cracked plastic pivots. Super. Used a grinder to cut the hardware off and removed the old linkage.

Old vs new

The new pivots are made of metal. No more plastic. Silly Nissan. Didn't they realize us idiots would keep these cars forever and ever?

Laid down some black spray paint to cover the runaway grinder's tracks. Bolted in the new metal pivots.

All done. I might have the wiper arms on the wrong side. Anybody know which side A and D are installed on?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Where did you get them
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
flartius
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
flartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
Where did you get them
Ask and you shall receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
I found an aftermarket replacement wiper linkage on Rockauto, one of my most hated parts companies. I begrudgingly gave them 58 of my hard earned dollars for wiper linkage WL2495 shipped to my door.