Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
aack

Trader Rating: (0)
aack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Rear End Clunk. Help!

Hi everyone,

I know this is a common problem, but I have searched every single forum with no answer. I am experiencing a clunk/thud/noise coming from what I think is my rear end every time torque is sent back there. This could be from throttle blips, or releasing the clutch.

This problem started happening after I did a rear end rebuild I guess you could say. I started with a completely stock S13 and the car made zero noises. I did energy poly bushing kit which replaces everything in the rear including the sub frame bushings, and I put in a J30 vlsd.

The car clunked. I also hated that the diff put stress on my driveshaft so I swapped the vlsd into my open diff pumpkin. The car still clunked. So I took the diff to a shop thinking it was a backlash issue, it wasn't, they said it looked fine.

Like I said, the car was stock and made zero noise before doing all of this. So it can't be the tranny, cant be the driveshaft, cant be the axles. I even have gone through and checked it with the diff out. The driveshaft has barely any play when in gear and makes a normal tranny noise when shook and there is no play in the axles. I'm dumb founded.

My only guess is I got a crappy J30 diff from the scrap yard? What else could it be?
aack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Put rubber bushings back in if you don't want to hear the clunk.

If had 3 s13s, all three made zero sound until I i added different bushings. One had poly, the other 2 had solids. It just fucking clunks.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
aack

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Put rubber bushings back in if you don't want to hear the clunk.

If had 3 s13s, all three made zero sound until I i added different bushings. One had poly, the other 2 had solids. It just fucking clunks.
Sounds good, i'll just send it then.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
I can almost guarantee you that it's your axles, either that or your subframe is cracked. I had this same problem and chased it for almost a year before I just sourced some good condition used OEM ones. See thread on my struggles:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=593642
Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
aack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
I can almost guarantee you that it's your axles, either that or your subframe is cracked. I had this same problem and chased it for almost a year before I just sourced some good condition used OEM ones. See thread on my struggles:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=593642
After reading through your thread i'm still confused how it would be my axles in my scenario. When my diff has been out I have gone under and played with my axles. they have zero play in them. I know jiggling with my hand is no where close to the torque provided by the engine but I can't find any play in them, plus they seem to be in good condition. Also, I don't expect it to be them because they were dead silent before doing bushings. Furthermore, it sounds like you only had the problem when you were on the ground turning. I get the problem all the time, in a straight line or even with the car jacked up and giving it torque. I really don't know.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Allmtoreg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Allmtoreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have the same clunk I think. When releasing clutch or giving quick throttle. Just swapped my diff and we will see this weekend if that was it. My second guess is subframe bushings. I know I have ES polys in the rear but they are almost 10years old. I have solids in hand and will be dropping my subframe next to install those. Hopefully its one of those.
Allmtoreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
it's an s13. you put something other than worn out 30 year old rubber bushings in it. it's gon' clunk /thread
Old 03-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
since this question seems relevant to the topic.

what brand bushings are the closest to factory replacements.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
it's an s13. you put something other than worn out 30 year old rubber bushings in it. it's gon' clunk /thread

This, again.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
aack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
since this question seems relevant to the topic.

what brand bushings are the closest to factory replacements.
That's a hard one because almost everyone goes solid, I went poly because I have a street car and i'm a pussy.

In my research the closest thing to OEM bushings would be Megan Racing Poly bushings. Only because they have gaps and are shaped just like OEM. https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...-15-bnr32.html
Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
factory s13 rear diff doesnt have bushings... did you use the J30 housing and swap covers?

im guessing youre running the factory USDM s13 drive shaft? if so... might be time to change out that stupid hockey puck bushing as those tend to wear our (and will shred) rather quickly when you start abusing them given their age. its located at the front of your drive shaft after the first u-joint directly out of the tranny. i would HIGHLY recommend you find yourself a stock JDM S13 drive shaft as it only uses u-joints instead of u-joint to bushing to shaft.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
aack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
factory s13 rear diff doesnt have bushings... did you use the J30 housing and swap covers?

im guessing youre running the factory USDM s13 drive shaft? if so... might be time to change out that stupid hockey puck bushing as those tend to wear our (and will shred) rather quickly when you start abusing them given their age. its located at the front of your drive shaft after the first u-joint directly out of the tranny. i would HIGHLY recommend you find yourself a stock JDM S13 drive shaft as it only uses u-joints instead of u-joint to bushing to shaft.
No i'm using the s13 open pumpkin with the J30 internals swapped inside, so no bushings. I agree I would like to get a better driveshaft but by getting one won't solve my noise problem. My current stock shaft has no play at the joints and very little play at the tranny when in gear. Again, it made zero noise before all of the work done so I can't really say spending money on a new driveshaft will fix the clunk.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by aack View Post
That's a hard one because almost everyone goes solid, I went poly because I have a street car and i'm a pussy.

In my research the closest thing to OEM bushings would be Megan Racing Poly bushings. Only because they have gaps and are shaped just like OEM. https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...-15-bnr32.html
thanks friend... good to know for the future.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
silly question, are your output shafts in the correct sides of the diff?

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
aack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
silly question, are your output shafts in the correct sides of the diff?
I would hope so lol. Short one on the drivers side and long on passenger side.