Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #22381
merlz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
merlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Nissan shift knob thread is 10x1.25

Crap Honda is x1.50
S13/14 5 speed = M10 x 1.25 S15 6 Speed = M12 x 1.25
Old 12-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #22382
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_ryder View Post
Does anyone know if a s15 spec s 5 speed shift knob has the same thread pitch as the 6 spd or is it the same at the s13/14 (10x1.25)??
It's the same trans as S14, thread pitch should be the same.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #22383
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
has anyone used tenhulzen toe plates to get your toe dialed in? i searched and didnt see anything (specific to this forum). cheaper toe plates rest directly on the tire, while it seems these have locating pegs that rest against the wheels. its a very primitive way to check toe, but the reviews looked okay? ive been using two yardsticks and a tape measure but i wonder if it would make it easier if i had these plates. local alignment shop wants $150 for a one time aligment and id rather just buy a tool for close to that amount and do it myself and have the tool down the road.

also still open to suggestions on what i should use to lube my heims (i need a spray/aerosol can) that isn't anti seize.
those do look nice with the little stand-offs. toe-plates are great for track cars and doing quick alignments at the track or at home. but if you're trying to get 50,000 mi out of your new Michelin's just get a real one done.

you can't align the rear with toe plates either. you have to string the car for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Fuel starvation. Put more gas in the tank.
i dunno, i've tracked my car with it bone dry and never had the engine cut out
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #22384
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does the ABS on the S14(95) affect the Odometer? Just noticed it odo isn't moving, but not sure if it stopped when my ABS light came on. Coincidence perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #22385
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Does the ABS on the S14(95) affect the Odometer? Just noticed it odo isn't moving, but not sure if it stopped when my ABS light came on. Coincidence perhaps?

No................
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #22386
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
^ Oh goodie, so another failed part on the Nissan. Damn these things.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #22387
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post

That is caused by a fairly pricy little pain in the ass called the VSS or Variable Speed Sensor that is in your transmission
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #22388
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
That is caused by a fairly pricy little pain in the ass called the VSS or Variable Speed Sensor that is in your transmission
Variable? or Vehicle? Speed sensor for sure. When youre driving try tapping the cluster to see if the needle jumps. I had an issue where my cluster speedometer was bad and I had to tap it to get the needle to jump to the actual speed. Otherwise Id double check your VSS. There is a simple integrity check in the EC or EL section of the FSM. All you need is a multimeter and the VSS out of your car.

Just note that when if you decide to replace the unit, for a S14 you must use an S14 VSS. If you use an S13 one your speed will be twice what youre actually travelling. Ask me how I know lol

You can always double-check to make sure your cluster is making good contact with the harness that reports the VSS signal to the cluster, again all in EL section of FSM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #22389
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Interesting, I thought that would've killed both the speedometer and odometer. The functionality of my speedometer has not changed since the odo stopped working, though it has always acted up intermediately(get's caught up around 40mph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Variable? or Vehicle? Speed sensor for sure. When youre driving try tapping the cluster to see if the needle jumps. I had an issue where my cluster speedometer was bad and I had to tap it to get the needle to jump to the actual speed.
Oh man, funny you say that. That's been the case with this cluster not long after I swapped it out a couple of years ago. Haha. The Tapping method hasn't seemed to work for sometime now.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #22390
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Speedometer/odometer stuff is weird.

One of my S13s has an intermittent speedo and odo. Either the speedo is reading correctly, or it's dead at 0. The odo reads correctly when the speedo works, and doesn't move when the speedo is at 0.

My other S13 has a wild speedo with a mind of its own. It'll generally read way higher than actual speed, sometimes pegging itself to the bottom right side of the cluster. But no matter how inaccurately it reads, the odo is always 100% dead-on accurate (as confirmed by my phone's GPS).

Baffling, but they're old cars so I don't care.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #22391
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

From what I understand, RPM signal comes from ECU/TCU and speed comes from a speed sensor. So if theyre both wonky Id suspect electrical or cluster integrity.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #22392
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
From what I understand, RPM signal comes from ECU/TCU and speed comes from a speed sensor. So if theyre both wonky Id suspect electrical or cluster integrity.
As a new 240 owner, I just opened one up and looked, kinda brushed shit off. Next time I have mine out, it gets revamped. Needles are getting sanded and painted white, all LED's are being replaced with blue LED, but then I saw these really cool Auto Meter gauges, thought, fuck the plastic cover, put those in, hmmmmmm

most issues on indicators are directly due to dirt and crap built up in your cluster. Open it up, clean it!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #22393
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
As a new 240 owner, I just opened one up and looked, kinda brushed shit off. Next time I have mine out, it gets revamped. Needles are getting sanded and painted white, all LED's are being replaced with blue LED, but then I saw these really cool Auto Meter gauges, thought, fuck the plastic cover, put those in, hmmmmmm

most issues on indicators are directly due to dirt and crap built up in your cluster. Open it up, clean it!
Totally possible, use compressed air or those compressed cans with nozzles to clean keyboards. Either way that's a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #22394
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

So I'm looking at my oil dipstick today and I was thinking. Shouldn't this be sitting further into the block? Almost looks like it's out slightly based on where the lip is

Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #22395
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Totally possible, use compressed air or those compressed cans with nozzles to clean keyboards. Either way that's a good idea.

If you use solvents, use DENATURED ALCOHOL,
DO NOT use Acetone or Naptha, MEK or other's, they will melt plastics on your console. REPLACE the clock light while you are inside of it too. Pull all the bulbs out, clean and put in dieelectric grease, replace bulbs with new Superbright LED's
Old 12-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #22396
GodOfSpeed

GodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymoreGodOfSpeed is not welcome here anymore
how many posts are needed to post a wanted ad?
GodOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #22397
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfSpeed View Post
how many posts are needed to post a wanted ad?
90 days.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=326097
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #22398
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey guys. Shattered a rocker arm on my SR last night, replaced it this morning and realized that both valve shims fell off. I looked online to ordered a new set, but I’m seeing multiple sizing options (2.875mm, 3.175mm, etc.). I was curious exactly how to know what size I need for my motor and how to measure them etc. Thanks.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #22399
MisterDoodle

MisterDoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Spark Plug Wire Set For 1993 240sx KA24DE

Can someone link me a good set of spark plug wires? There are too many to choose from and I’m having trouble deciding which to pick as well as where I should be buying them from because the prices I’m seeing on some websites are priced higher. Trying to find them at the cheapest price possible!

Red spark plug wires would be great! Or silver/gray! Or white if that’s even a thing 😂 (aesthetic purposes)

Thanks guys!
MisterDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #22400
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Hey guys. Shattered a rocker arm on my SR last night, replaced it this morning and realized that both valve shims fell off. I looked online to ordered a new set, but I’m seeing multiple sizing options (2.875mm, 3.175mm, etc.). I was curious exactly how to know what size I need for my motor and how to measure them etc. Thanks.
There's a special tool you need to buy, or make, to measure the clearance in relation to the guide shim. The guide shims are all the same size. I think the FSM has the procedure. Also in the tech section, I saw a thread recently on how to convert to all guide shims, it has the procedure in there on how to measure clearance.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #22401
Bxcliff

Bxcliff is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Guys, I'm currently working on my RB25DET to get it ready to*be installed in my 300zx but i have a quick question.*

For my oil temp and pressure gauges, Glowshift gauges to be exact if anyone is wondering, is it best to*have the sensor on the turbo feed line or on my oil filter relocation kit that already has two 1/8 NPT threads. Which*is more accurate and best for this or any*setup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Bxcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #22402
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxcliff View Post
Hey Guys, I'm currently working on my RB25DET to get it ready to*be installed in my 300zx but i have a quick question.*

For my oil temp and pressure gauges, Glowshift gauges to be exact if anyone is wondering, is it best to*have the sensor on the turbo feed line or on my oil filter relocation kit that already has two 1/8 NPT threads. Which*is more accurate and best for this or any*setup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
Run them off of the oil filter relocation plate. There's no reason to T into the turbo oil feed.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #22403
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I'm wondering if I need to redo my coolant lines for my turbo on my KA. I've been running this setup for a while and daily driving it gives me no issue, but at the track my car heats up extremely quick considering my beefy cooling setup(dual pass koyo, nismo tstat, gktech clutch fan blades and 12" pusher fan in front of condenser). I can only do a few laps before it's at 210 and climbing, meanwhile my friends can hotlap their car and never see over 185. Anyways, I have one line ran to this port above the throttle body

And the other is attached to the drivers(exhaust) side of the block where there was original a 1/4 NPT cap. I don't have 2 positive pressure coolant lines do I? I can't find a single bit of definitive information on whether that block port is a feed or return. A lot of people talk about it, a lot of people ask which it is, but no one ever gives an answer
Old 12-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #22404
MisterDoodle

MisterDoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Will this S14 KA24DE Air Intake fit my S13 KA24DE?

I found a used air intake on eBay for a pretty good deal but only problem is that it’s for an S14 and not S13! Will it still fit my S13? I’ve asked the seller and he’s not too sure either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D13C6AD-C095-4154-B4DF-EDB605FDD067.jpg (103.2 KB, 6 views)
MisterDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #22405
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDoodle View Post
I found a used air intake on eBay for a pretty good deal but only problem is that it’s for an S14 and not S13! Will it still fit my S13? I’ve asked the seller and he’s not too sure either!
You'll need to cut a bit, and you'll need step down couplers. S13 is 3" in diameter like 300zx. S14 is 2.8"~ in diameter.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #22406
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

@Hoffman,

What is that extra line coming from/going to?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #22407
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Quote:
@Hoffman,

What is that extra line coming from/going to?
The line being pointed to in the pic goes to one coolant port on the turbo, and the other coolant port on the turbo goes into the coolant port on the exhaust side of the block
Old 12-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #22408
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
The line being pointed to in the pic goes to one coolant port on the turbo, and the other coolant port on the turbo goes into the coolant port on the exhaust side of the block
Im not very familiar with the cooling circuit for the KA, but correct me if Im wrong, is that the coolant return?
Old 12-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #22409
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

If one is buying aftermarket turbo oil feed lines, is getting an oil restrictor adapter necessary?
Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #22410
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Quote:
Im not very familiar with the cooling circuit for the KA, but correct me if Im wrong, is that the coolant return?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I want to make sure I have coolant flowing correctly