Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #121
Nickys13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Nickys13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Nice!
Build
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #122
davirene
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
davirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nicedavirene is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
What branch are you? Active or Reserves?

I was at Futenma OKI Active duty USMC.....now I am in the ARMY Reserves....Fulltime MILTECH March AFB Riverside Calif.

This was along time ago when I was in OKI....I use to be an American Muscle Head....so riding around in Skyline powered taxis and Aristo Taxis didnt faze me while I was there.....

Oh well making up for it now.......

Last edited by davirene; 05-26-2013 at 06:39 PM..
davirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #123
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^I'm active.

Busy weekend. Mounted boost control solenoid:

^^The little grommet we installed by the booster came in VERY handy!!!^^

Put a 2-gauge terminal where the positive battery connector used to be:

0-gauge cable is very stout lol... So I ran it into the bay like so:

5 years, 3 months wrapped & packed... Parole time hehe!

SUCCESS... all previous settings intact

Connected the oil cooler lines to the block & started cleaning up the wiring...

Was having issues with the ignitor... So I threaded the holes and mounted it sort of in reverse lol...

Pressed on cleaning up the wiring... Just a few things left to stash & secure...

After that, I get to drop the muffler & secure the battery box... Then mount the oil cooler & cooling system... Then start piecing the interior stuff together.

Bracketing should be done this week. Once complete, I can take care of the rest of the bay; and at that point she should be ready for her fluids to be bled & first start on the dyno! (*fingers crossed*)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #124
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Looks good Mike! Surprisingly I'm on the last leg of my wiring mess. I hope to be in the same boat with starting soon too...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #125
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
5 years, 3 months wrapped & packed... Parole time hehe!

SUCCESS... all previous settings intact

Damn, and here I thought that I was sitting on parts for a while...

I'm pumped for you
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #126
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Looks good Mike! Surprisingly I'm on the last leg of my wiring mess. I hope to be in the same boat with starting soon too...
Thanks Glenn! Unlike your 'wiring mess,' mine has likely been much more simple than the badass-ness you are putting together... Wish I hadn't already ordered my harnesses before seeing that Canon plug setup you are doing- I would SO much rather have that! Really excited to hear what that VET is gonna sound like~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Damn, and here I thought that I was sitting on parts for a while...

I'm pumped for you
Thanks very much, eh!

Yea I tore the 180SX down & boxed everything up in Feb/Mar 2008... Between recovering from the divorce & other 'normal life' happenings; it's about damned time haha! Now I just want to get it running & driveable so I can have fun with it, but put dropping $$$$ into it back on the back burner for a while. Got the body kit etc all picked out for her already; but realistically, it will prolly be a while before the external makeover happens.

Thanks for stopping by, guys!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #127
BoostinIX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
BoostinIX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to BoostinIX Send a message via AIM to BoostinIX Send a message via MSN to BoostinIX Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinIX
Hurry. Up.

:P
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #128
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^DUDE^ I.am!

Finished up the engine bay wiring & battery box mounting today...

It got late & I have a test tomorrow so I had to shut down... Tomorrow afternoon gonna start figuring out how I want to mount the oil cooler.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #129
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mounted the filter block, filter/drier & fuel filter up on the super-BA brackets Andy made, mounted FPR, plumbed the fuel lines (still need to make the feed), RE-relocated the ignitor, Mounted the radiator & clamped up the catch can hoses.

Nearly done. Today, I'm going to wire up the condenser fan, plumb the fuel feed & maybe mess with the oil cooler. Need 4 -10AN 90* fittings for it to work...

After yesterday I am dreading building the fuel feed... let alone redoing the oil cooler hoses- I already feel like if I never again have to build another braided line, it will be too soon
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #130
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
I've developed a knack for building those lines. Do you heat the rubber with a heat gun? I also use some assembly lube to help the fitting slide on.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #131
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Glenn you are a fucking GENIUS!!! No- I've just been wrapping it tightly with electrical tape and doing my best to stuff it in lol. Tried it with some lube but it would pull the fitting off as I screwed it in. Built a lot of these lines for aircraft test equip, but the hoses were just rubber so WAY easier to work with. Told ya- not a natural mechanic

Will employ my heat gun when I get back to it. Decided to take today off from the car & hang out w/my girl.

As usual- thank you man!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #132
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Glenn you are a fucking GENIUS!!! No- I've just been wrapping it tightly with electrical tape and doing my best to stuff it in lol. Tried it with some lube but it would pull the fitting off as I screwed it in. Built a lot of these lines for aircraft test equip, but the hoses were just rubber so WAY easier to work with. Told ya- not a natural mechanic

Will employ my heat gun when I get back to it. Decided to take today off from the car & hang out w/my girl.

As usual- thank you man!
Don't get crazy with the heat, just enough to soften the rubber up so the fitting will slide down into it easier. Only heat it up when you are ready to thread the hose end on.

Also, when you are sliding the "threaded nut or hub" portion over the hose, use a small regular screw driver to help push the braided portion into it, working your way around until it's all in. I know building those hoses is a PITA, but figured I could pass on some ideas that helped me.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #133
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^All great stuff! I already figured out about using a screwdriver to get it in... But the heat gun thing is genius! Will give it a shot this afternoon.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #134
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
I will race you to see whose car is done first. I think it is gonna be very close.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #135
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Hahahahaha! If only one of us is thinking in competitive terms, can it really be called a 'race'?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #136
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Mike, I see that you are running a clutch fan setup. Is it factory?

I've been thinking about doing away with my FALs and getting the GKTech upgraded fan and factory shroud(simple and easy and I won't have to run extra wiring for the e-fans, which I forgot to add into my harness, Doh!). However, on their site it's saying their blade cannot be utilized with Nismo mounts, which I have had for the past 5+ years.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #137
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^I read that too and I don't think that is accurate dude... I run the GKtech fan...and I run Nismo mounts... everything clears fine. The diamter of it to me actually seemed SMALLER than the stock clutch fan...
Stock:

GKtech:

I think the diameter is either the same or slightly smaller. As a matter of fact, I couldn't help but notice that it was MUCH easier to get my radiator in/out over the GKtech fan vs. stock. The only thing I have NOT done yet is re-attach the lower part of the shroud... Even then, if there are clearance issues there, it's pretty easy to modify; and won't make a huge difference in cooling capability of left uninstalled. I'll let you know tonight- been meaning to put that damn thing on lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #138
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That oil cooler setup is looking real familiar there buddy.

Looking good though!

Hows that arms turbo pulling?

Does it spool up like the 2871r? and then keep going?
Or is it totally different?
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #139
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
That oil cooler setup is looking real familiar there buddy.

Looking good though!

Hows that arms turbo pulling?

Does it spool up like the 2871r? and then keep going?
Or is it totally different?
LOL yup- Minus the block & filter housing, it's the HKS kit I got from Mark Morioka right before he PCS'd...

Actually, I figured you'd be much happier to see your old intake mani all polished & put in a good home

Won't be able to give you performance specifics till next week or the week after brother. She goes in for alignment & initial tune next Wed/Thurs... then I gotta put 500mi of spirited ring-loading on her... change the oil & go back for the final full-out tune. If they can get her in Tuesday, I may be able to take leave and knock it all out by Friday night... We'll see.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #140
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

So I was able to at least do some drilling & mount the cooler where it's gonna go...

$75.00 later, I am ready to finish mounting it, service it & press on wiring the condenser fan...

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #141
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I personally like the Redhorse fittings. My local speed shop carries them.

That's what I figured you were running for a fan setup Mike. I havent made my mind up on it yet as I can use the factory A/C fan wiring to operate my E-fans. I also already have the items needed to run them and I wont have to dish out nearly $400 for the clutch fan setup...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #142
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mike I(Just finished) enjoyed reading your build thread. Love when guys use AN fittings for near everything. I hadnt realized that your car wasnt running all this time. You sig pic looks good I didnt realize that your current vehicle has been in the build stage.
Good luck once it gets running, and just like everyone else, I am anxious to see what that set up will do for you.
Keep plugging away at it! you are so close!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #143
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I personally like the Redhorse fittings. My local speed shop carries them.

That's what I figured you were running for a fan setup Mike. I havent made my mind up on it yet as I can use the factory A/C fan wiring to operate my E-fans. I also already have the items needed to run them and I wont have to dish out nearly $400 for the clutch fan setup...
They seem pretty cool.. I like that they are more blue than red lol... Hey I checked the GKtech fan today- it's CLOSE to the shroud... but clears it by 2-3mm. Worse case, I will grind a couple mm off the tips of the blades and it will pull 57% more air instead of 60 haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
Mike I(Just finished) enjoyed reading your build thread. Love when guys use AN fittings for near everything. I hadnt realized that your car wasnt running all this time. You sig pic looks good I didnt realize that your current vehicle has been in the build stage.
Good luck once it gets running, and just like everyone else, I am anxious to see what that set up will do for you.
Keep plugging away at it! you are so close!
LOL yea the car in my sig is my 180SX that I stripped in 2008=) Thank you for the kind words- been doing my best to get this done...,

Speaking of- I got as far as getting ready to figure out where to cut the hoses for the new fittings:

Then had to stop for the night so I could call my oldest son's GF's parents and inform them that we are all going to be grandparents.

FML
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #144
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
roflmao how olds your son???

and such a fan of your old 180sx! but im liking your build now even better
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #145
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i love the build even more but i its been bugging me since the beginning of this thread... what seats are you using?? the passenger one has 2 knobs to adjust it... they look nice and i want them lol where can i get them?
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #146
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05subysti View Post
roflmao how olds your son???

and such a fan of your old 180sx! but im liking your build now even better
He's 19. Actually being much more mature and responsible about it than I was at 21 when his mom told me she was knocked up lol.

Thanks- the 180 was a lot of fun... but being in Okinawa & knowing I had to leave the body there; I only did 'so much' to it. Here in the USA, I can go all out b/c I never have to get rid of this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
hey i love the build even more but i its been bugging me since the beginning of this thread... what seats are you using?? the passenger one has 2 knobs to adjust it... they look nice and i want them lol where can i get them?
Thank you!

The seats are R33 Skyline (GTS25t) seats. The passenger seat was the driver seat in Japan, hence the adjustments on the wrong side of the USDM car lol... Easiest way to get a hold of them cheap is to join the USAF and put in for Japan lmfao!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #147
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Then had to stop for the night so I could call my oldest son's GF's parents and inform them that we are all going to be grandparents.

FML
FHL
That is why it's best to use the

Dumb question: what did you do with your window washer fluid container?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #148
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Brad, there is a screw loose in there- I'm certain of it

Thanks for reminding me... Great question: Washer fluid reservoir is going to be billet, shiny, and located on the other side of the bay... Haven't firmed up on exactly what, where or how yet, but I have a plan that should work out nicely.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #149
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Hey I checked the GKtech fan today- it's CLOSE to the shroud... but clears it by 2-3mm. Worse case, I will grind a couple mm off the tips of the blades and it will pull 57% more air instead of 60 haha!

FML
I bet that was an interesting conversation lol... Oh well, as long as he sticks to taking care of and being there for the kid even if it doesn't work out between him and baby mama. I have no respect for dead beat dads that don't step up to the plate when they decide to kick a goal.

My concern with such little clearance is when the motor torques, how much more is it going to interfer with the shroud? Keep me posted. My E-fan setup never let me down, but if, for some reason it does, I'll convert to the mech fan.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #150
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had a feeling your son was mature enough to handle his priorities Mikester.. i mean if he has any of the traits you possess which we can see in the amazing attention to detail in this build then he has a good head on his shoulders....thanks for the seat info and im honestly thinking of running that fan setup because i just dont trust the electric fans with high hp or driving in hot weather...
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote