Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #7291
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Driftworks just released pre-orders for Geomaster V3! compilation with wisefab. Drift and grip settings on front knuckle. New rear knuckle with revised kinematics.

Looks like I wouldn't be able to use my Defsport Wilwood kit on these. Bummer. I wonder what their idea for "ackermann for grip" is.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #7292
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
Looks like I wouldn't be able to use my Defsport Wilwood kit on these. Bummer. I wonder what their idea for "ackermann for grip" is.
You can sort of tell by the other pic. The two rearward holes are the "grip" holes and seem to be slightly reduced ackerman and slightly shorter steering arm.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #7293
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
You can sort of tell by the other pic. The two rearward holes are the "grip" holes and seem to be slightly reduced ackerman and slightly shorter steering arm.
I saw that, I was wondering a little more specifically, ha ha.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #7294
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Anybody here running auto factory realize knuckles? Seems like a great price for everything (tie rods/ends, lcas, rack spacers) and I might pull the trigger. Looking for some feedback if anyone runs them
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #7295
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
No roll center correction = no bueno, in my opinion.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #7296
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post

Anybody here running auto factory realize knuckles? Seems like a great price for everything (tie rods/ends, lcas, rack spacers) and I might pull the trigger. Looking for some feedback if anyone runs them
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
No roll center correction = no bueno, in my opinion.
I agree with ka. If you're just building a "whatever" car to have some fun in, they'll do, but roll center correction is super nice to have.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #7297
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ RT

As long as you're spending money and dealing with that PITA ball joint, go ahead and get knuckles with roll center correction. Makes for a much smoother and more predictable front end feel, especially if the car is dumped.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #7298
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
^ RT

As long as you're spending money and dealing with that PITA ball joint, go ahead and get knuckles with roll center correction. Makes for a much smoother and more predictable front end feel, especially if the car is dumped.

Looks like if anything I'd go gktech, thanks guys
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #7299
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

I have their V3 knuckle with chromoly LCA's and they're heavenly.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #7300
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
I have their V3 knuckle with chromoly LCA's and they're heavenly.
I have the same set up with their big angle sway bay and it freaking amazing
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #7301
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hi guys, I just installed the new gktech rear drop knuckles with voodoo13 arms.

There seems to be clearance issues with the voodoo13 RUCA and the placement of the axle with the gktech knuckles. It seemed if adjusters backed off just a little bit it would let the whole RUCA swing down. When installing I thought it looked really close and I compressed the suspension to make sure it didn't hit. I was a little uneasy about it, so I made sure the adjusters were really tight:

Installed:

Alas, it wasn't enough, the adjuster DID back off letting the whole RUCA swing down:

Little video showing what I am talking about.
WARNING(language):
http://vid906.photobucket.com/albums...pseha0wig9.mp4

Aftermath:

Voodoo13 arms are great, gktech knuckles are fantastic, just not that great together.

Just a heads up for people. I am currently looking for options on different arms to see what has the safest clearance.

I'm also looking for an axle
Old 05-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #7302
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

That's one of the issues of running sphericals on both the inboard and outboard side of an arm. Also another reason why mixing brands is always risky, as the parts weren't designed with each other in mind. The PBM RUCAs will clear the axle with no issues. However, the adjusters are a PITA and if you need negative camber in the rear, they may be a bit long ( I was only able to get -.8° bottomed out). I went with SPL for that reason (I have PBM rear knuckles) and have no issues now.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #7303
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
That's one of the issues of running sphericals on both the inboard and outboard side of an arm. Also another reason why mixing brands is always risky, as the parts weren't designed with each other in mind. The PBM RUCAs will clear the axle with no issues. However, the adjusters are a PITA and if you need negative camber in the rear, they may be a bit long ( I was only able to get -.8° bottomed out). I went with SPL for that reason (I have PBM rear knuckles) and have no issues now.
That's pretty much the response I got. Voodoo doesn't mention that their arms would have issues if you are not using stock knuckles.

Same with gktech, they just say you need aftermarket arms. Not specifically their arms.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #7304
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
That's pretty much the response I got. Voodoo doesn't mention that their arms would have issues if you are not using stock knuckles.

Same with gktech, they just say you need aftermarket arms. Not specifically their arms.
It would help if V13 offered rear knuckles that would integrate with their arms, but that won't ever happen. I also had fitment issues with their stuff, so I switched to SPL for arms and haven't had a problem. Still have their front tension arms though, because they allow me to run more tire up front. I'm not able to get a lot of caster before binding out though (coupled with GKTech LCAs), only about 6.5°.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #7305
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Di-devol - You could always try putting the bend on the camber arm to the outside, Voodoo arm looks symmetrical from photos, just check for clearances
Old 05-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #7306
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Di-devol - You could always try putting the bend on the camber arm to the outside, Voodoo arm looks symmetrical from photos, just check for clearances
They are not symmetrical, the part where the threaded adjuster is, bends upward when installed the correct direction. If reversed, it would cause the arm to hit the frame rail as well as the shock body.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #7307
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Swap left and right side arms?

Only other option is to set the camber arm rod end under an angle which would not allow for the body of the arm to articulate that close to the axle boot but that didn't work?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #7308
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I think he hits the coilover if he flips it.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #7309
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

I was able to get them flipped, the bend does go toward the subframe now. I have about 1/8" of clearance jacking up the suspension till the car lifts.

It'll do till I get some other rucas.

EDIT: They are hitting the coils, ditching them.

Last edited by di-devol; 05-09-2017 at 11:47 AM..
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #7310
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Oh nice, looks like they updated the brake caliper mount for more clearance with the tension rod nut and added a second set of holes. I had been in contact with Greg at GKTech about the poor clearance there. Site still shows the single set of holes style.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 05-10-2017 at 10:48 AM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #7311
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

I actually dig them a lot, just the ruca issue is killing me. I flipped them the correct way again, and tried to get enough clearance, but as soon as it's on the ground, the ruca is a hair away from hitting the CV boot.

This seriously sucks.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #7312
SmokeCircle
Zilvia Junkie

SmokeCircle is an unknown quantity at this point
Think you can get away with cutting them out a bit?
SmokeCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #7313
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeCircle View Post
Think you can get away with cutting them out a bit?
I was just at 425Motorsports shop and saw how someone with the same setup installed his. He flipped then a different way than I did, gonna try it his way. He does have some paint rub on the coil, but it's better than axles.

My wisefab steering setup showed up today, so I'll have fun with that tonight as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #7314
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
I had a very similar issue with a battle version RUCA and PBM knuckles, rubbing through my axle boots. ended up purchasing the PBM RUCA and I have plenty of clearance now.
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #7315
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Just convert to FWD... Boom, problem solved.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #7316
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Voodoo arms seem super overbuilt.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #7317
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have new gk tech rear knuckles with gk tech new rear arms and some super Ol skool spl rlca and the gk ruca lays on axle boot Also have sub frame risers. What is this talk flipping the ruca upside down? or is from the knuckle to the sub frame?
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #7318
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

This configuration worked. It'seems flipped sifees and setup behind the coil. Actually no rubbing at all.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #7319
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep an eye on the lower mount locking collar and RUCA. Mine rubbed there after flipping it.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #7320
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

S13 FD legal wisefab installed:

There seems to be a lack of info for this kit. You do need to modify your strut tower for shock adjuster:

Another thing they don't mention, it moves the hubs 2-1/2" out farther than stock.

This is with -6+ camber 9.5 +10 wheels