Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-28-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
TonyC
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TonyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throw out Bearing Removal and installation

I am having some trouble removing the old throw out bearing. Is there any easy methods of techniques to get it out. And once I get it out and replace it, which way does it go into the tranny. The fork lever in the tranny is stuck, is it supposed to be like this? Thanks.

TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
The fork should not be stuck at all.. in fact, its supposed to be able to come out.
The TO bearing is *supposed* to be pressed off and pressed on. If you read my install of the TC bushings, you'd know I don't press anything in or out. I hammer it!
How I did it was with a regular old 14" claw hammer. Beat the hell out of your old one! You don't need it. Set the bearing and carrier (housing) on the ground, and tap around the bearing that's sticking out. It'll come off. Lube up the carrier with some Moly grease, and grab a piece of 2x4. Set that on the new bearing, and tap the new bearing onto the carrier.

To install the bearing and carrier in the tranny, there are little clips on the carrier. Slide the carrier over the tranny shaft, and up to the fork. There are some dips on the ends of the fork, and some lumps on the clips of the carrier. Align the lumps in the dips, and you're set.
-Jeff
BTW: Do you need a new rear main seal while you're back there?

Last edited by Jeff240sx; 05-29-2003 at 12:07 AM..
Jeff240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:16 AM   #3
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
good info jeff.. i am about to change my clutch and was wondering if i needed to rent a press or bring it to kragens or something to remove the old bearing and push the new one in but your technique sounds like it works.. any bad effects from doing this? you dont need the push the bearing in a precise way (measure.. etc.) right?

oh yea. by rear main seal.. do you mean like a tranny gasket thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 01:21 AM   #4
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't rent a press to save my life. Also, no shops around my town had a bearing press.
No real danger, I don't think. You've got a hunk of wood evenly distributing the impact across the bearing, and you just tap it down until it stops. Make sure there isn't a gap between the bearing and teh plate that the bearing rests on. It's not precise. Just make sure it's down as far as it gets.
Rear main seal - it's behind the flywheel and engine backing plate. It's like a gasket, and they go bad and leak. I was just commenting... his tranny is really dirty and oily.
-Jeff
Old 05-29-2003, 03:18 AM   #5
TonyC
Leaky Injector

Thanks for your info Jeff, I'll try that first thing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:33 AM   #6
TonyC
Leaky Injector

Actually the fork thing in the tranny did come out initially when I took out the tranny, but I was fiddling around and it popped back in. It seems the ball rod has gotten stuck in between those wires. Any ideas on how to get it out?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:36 AM   #7
TonyC
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
Rear main seal - it's behind the flywheel and engine backing plate. It's like a gasket, and they go bad and leak. I was just commenting... his tranny is really dirty and oily.
-Jeff
I probably need to change it, but unfortualtely I don't know how it looks like. My car has been dripping oil around the section where the tranny hooks on the the block ever since I bought it. It could be it. Got any pics of the seal? TIA.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

I don't know if the rear main seal is owner-servicable. It doesn't seem like it.
I don't have pics, either. If you remove the clutch assembly and flywheel, you'll see it. It goes right around the end of the crank that the flywheel bolts on.
-Jeff