Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
GoToast
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GoToast is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GoToast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2dpnoy View Post
Such a great info.! I am in the process of swapping in a 1jz vvti. The heater hoses cleared some confusion and so does the p/s line.

How do you go about using the JZ a/c compressor? I mean what kind of fittings do I need to use it? I don't think the stock s14 compressor fittings will work.

I will try and contact Taylor Durdan and see if he could do my wiring since everyone else is so busy like, Sean Palmquist and Z U l8er. Those are the only 2 guys I would send my harness to from what I read on other forums. Worst case is sending it to Tech2 or Phoenix Tuning. Drifts135, a member here, also knows how to wire a 1jzvvti into an s14 since he's done one for his buddy and he told me he could help me out. Tried contacting him but no reply.
Using the VVTi 1JZ(single turbo) makes the heater lines easier since you dont have the space taken up like the Twin Turbo 1JZ.

As far as the AC stuff, no one to my knowledge makes adapters. What I was going to do was take my stock KA compressor lines off and the stock 1JZ lines. Find a local Hydraulic line shop and tell them that I needed the fittings switched over.

Finding someone to do your wiring is tricky. Drifts135 is great guy, very hard to get a hold of, but knows his stuff inside and out. He's not always able to get to a computer so it's usually just a matter of time or how busy he is. He did the wiring on my car in a day.
And have you contacted JordanInnovations?
GoToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #32
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by h815 240sx View Post
interested in oil cooler set up too
oil cooler setups are pretty easy.

i have a Glowshift adapter, some fittings and hose to a earls cooler in one of the ducts in my bumper. I'll get some pics this weekend, i can replicate a copy of mine to if you would like.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #33
GoToast
Leaky Injector

GoToast is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to GoToast
When I had my 1JZ swap, I used my ka24de throttle cable in the 1JZ cable bracket. Granted it was about an 1/8" too long. Supposedly the KA24E cable is shorter than the KA24DE. I havent looked in to it.
GoToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
aled is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Oil Cooler Setup.

First off, when I first began my research on this swap in general, I read over and over again how important it was to spend the money on quality cooling parts. At any rate, once I felt my water system was stout, I moved onto to research oil cooling systems.

Now, the 1JZ in my case, and the 2JZ utilize a factory oil cooling system. Water is plumbed through the filter housing and cools the oil. Nonetheless, many have found this system inefficient for track use and opted for an external radiator type cooler.

Literature:

This is a great thread to go through here on zilvia:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/225223...er-setups.html

Read the PDF file, very informative and clear pictures:
My take on an Oil Cooler Install

This is the thread I based most of my purchases off of:
Installing a Full Flow, Thermostat Controlled Oil Cooler & Remote Filter

My Personal Setup:
- Setrab Oil Cooler, Spal 6" Fan
- Canton Block Adapter
- Remote Oil Filter Housing
- Remote Earl's Oil Thermostat
- -10 AN Lines
- (6) -10 AN, Straight Fittings
- (2) -10 AN, 45 Degree
- (2) -10 AN, 90 Degree
- (4) 1/2" NPT, Straight to -10 AN Male
- (4) -10 AN, Male Couplers
- (2) -8 AN to - 10 AN (These are not necessary for every setup; my oil cooler from Setrap happened to be -8 AN Fittings

Once you understand how to search for fittings on Summit or Jegs, it's a breeze. For example to find a -10 AN Hose End, search: "Fitting, Straight, -10 AN, Hose End"

Cost:
$550, all fittings, hose, plates, and thermostat were purchased from Summit Racing; the oil cooler was purchased 2nd hand off a Zilvia seller.

As the SupraMania thread alludes to, there are several different setups. A more economical one for example would be a block adapter that houses the oil filter, but also contains a thermostat.

(1) Oil flows from the Canton adapter to the "IN" on the Filter Housing
(2) "Out" the Filter Housing to the Thermostat
- There are 4 Fittings for the thermostat (From Engine, To Engine, From OC, to OC)
(3) If the oil temperature is -160 Degrees, oil will be routed back to the engine
(4) If the oil temperature is +160 degrees, oil will flow to the cooler
(5) From the cooler, back into the thermostat
(6) Thermostat back to the Canton adapter on the block

Hope this helps.
I will document my actual installation.
aled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
JeeBus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
JeeBus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
AWESOME!

Lots of information here I can use, I will be tackling the 2jz swap into a 300zx soon, And there's absolute NO write-up or any information in what to do with the 300zx.

As far as the subframe and mounts and stuff, I have all that covered..not so hard.

What really has me "fooled" is the abundance of wiring schematics for the 2jz/supra/aristo.

I'm fairly confident with wiring, and I've made a few custom harnesses for Z32's.

As soon as I can get my hands on a factory service manual for an aristo (I have JDM ariso 2jz), the project will be under way.

In for pics of the oil cooler set up from aled.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #36
ta2dpnoy
Zilvia Member

ta2dpnoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoToast View Post
Using the VVTi 1JZ(single turbo) makes the heater lines easier since you dont have the space taken up like the Twin Turbo 1JZ.

As far as the AC stuff, no one to my knowledge makes adapters. What I was going to do was take my stock KA compressor lines off and the stock 1JZ lines. Find a local Hydraulic line shop and tell them that I needed the fittings switched over.

Finding someone to do your wiring is tricky. Drifts135 is great guy, very hard to get a hold of, but knows his stuff inside and out. He's not always able to get to a computer so it's usually just a matter of time or how busy he is. He did the wiring on my car in a day.
And have you contacted JordanInnovations?
Thats what I thought of today about the A/C fittings. Get the jz fittings welded to the KA hoses. Challenging part is finding a shop that will do it.

Yeah, drifts135 is very hard to get a hold of. we texted a couple times but that was it. charges really cheap too compared to others. I just decided to send it to Sean since I got a hold of him.

Does JordanInnovations do conversion wiring for the 1jz?
ta2dpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #37
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
some pics of my oil cooler setup. nothing fancy.

the cooler on the passenger side is for a transmission cooler, the black AN style hose is a fuel line hose. and the smaller silver AN hose is for the power steering.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #38
ta2dpnoy
Zilvia Member

ta2dpnoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Got my ebay mounts today and an R154 mount. My trans is a soarer (the one with shifter extension). My question is, which holes should I use to line up for an s14 chassis?

ta2dpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
R33E8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
R33E8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Some service manual and wire info...

Engine Mechanical section of service manual: EM (2JZ-GTE).pdf

ECU pinouts: 2JZGTE_UKSpec_ECU_pinout.pdf

Torque and Service specs: Torque & Service Specifications.pdf

List of all the 2jz info I have: Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Feel free to rehost these just incase something happens to them..
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
h815 240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
h815 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are there any fans that will fit in-between the radiator and the engine, if i wanted to run the pbm high mount?
h815 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #41
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
h815: yeah, but there is really no point in running pbm in particular seeing as you'd have to make custom piping anyways. Lots of people have run rads meant for 240's in stock location with puller fans, but most people tend to step up to something a little larger.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #42
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

i run some "off the shelf" dual 12" Slim fans. they are about as thick as you can go without getting into trouble.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #43
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Does the tranny tunnel require massaging to fit the r154? Oh yeah, and Welcome to Driftmotion! is a pretty dope site to find jz related parts!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #44
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2dpnoy View Post
Got my ebay mounts today and an R154 mount. My trans is a soarer (the one with shifter extension). My question is, which holes should I use to line up for an s14 chassis?

I want to say mine used the front two holes; don't hold me to it.
Next time I have the car up in the air, I will get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h815 240sx View Post
Are there any fans that will fit in-between the radiator and the engine, if i wanted to run the pbm high mount?
I could have easily fit my Flex-a-Lite's in between if I hadn't gone with a 2 core radiator that is 3'' thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
Does the tranny tunnel require massaging to fit the r154? Oh yeah, and Welcome to Driftmotion! is a pretty dope site to find jz related parts!
I massaged my S14 tunnel to fit my R154 on the intake manifold side.
BFH came in handy.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #45
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Are you guys running the stock clutch master cylinder?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

i thought i have heard a rumor of people using MKIII Supra CMC? Not 100% sure that is not my avenue of drivetrain, maybe someone will chime in.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #47
crono72000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
crono72000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice work man, cars looking good too !

Long time no chat, pm me sometime.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #48
crono72000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
crono72000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Yes actualy.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #49
Fractur3
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Fractur3 is on the path to ruinFractur3 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good info, this will be helpful
Fractur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #50
motoXracer01

motoXracer01 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the BEST page I have found on this swap. Awesome job! Sure will help out ALOT of people and answer many questions. Keep it up.
motoXracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #51
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono72000 View Post
Nice work man, cars looking good too !

Long time no chat, pm me sometime.
i sent you a apm like a month ago with no response?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #52
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
OEM S14 Clutch Master Cylinder.

with this line:
Welcome to Driftmotion!

Perfect length and the same thread size/pitch.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #53
1jz_240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
1jz_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is an awesome thread! i just pulled the ka to start prepping for my 1jz swap. i cant wait to have something to show like this! my question is as far as the slave cylandir goes. is it gonna be on oposite sides like the fuel lines are or is gonna be on the same side as the ka transmission? and is there anything custom that you need to do to make it work? or does it thread the same way? thanks in advance
1jz_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

The slave cylinder will end up on the driver side now, which makes for a cleaner install IMO! And thanks Aled for the information, I've subscribed to your thread and have definitely picked up some great info and insight for my personal setup!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #55
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jz_240 View Post
. is it gonna be on oposite sides like the fuel lines are or is gonna be on the same side as the ka transmission? and is there anything custom that you need to do to make it work? or does it thread the same way? thanks in advance
The line that Drift Motion sells is the same exact thread pitch to the OEM Nissan Slave Cylinder.

I could have used my old clutch line from my SR setup, but it would have been longer and would have required shortening/looping.

Quote:
The slave cylinder will end up on the driver side now, which makes for a cleaner install IMO! And thanks Aled for the information, I've subscribed to your thread and have definitely picked up some great info and insight for my personal setup!
Absolutely.
If you have any questions or problems feel free to PM me.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #56
moschini

moschini is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing thread, I will add some info once my JZ/Powerglide combo is going in
moschini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #57
TrueFreshness
Leaky Injector

TrueFreshness is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just on cxracing's site looking for a piping kit. Im assuming I will need 3'' piping but i didnt know which kit I needed. any help?
TrueFreshness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #58
moschini

moschini is an unknown quantity at this point
anymore updates?
moschini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #59
HIGHFIVEBETA
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
HIGHFIVEBETA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This thread makes me want to swap out my sr20 for a 2jzgte even moar! great thread
HIGHFIVEBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #60
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
so i know very few have tackled the 1jz vvti swap into an s chassis, but i was wondering if anyone has any wiring schematics/manifold advice. i can only find a few vvti 1j manifolds and they are expensive as fuck. the one on ebay is 500 dollars shipped and it's cheap china shit, i was considering buying the non vvti manifold for 150 bucks and then making a vvti flange and cutting the runners short and routing them. probably going to go with a 60-1 agp turbo.