Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
PW180SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
A Type X build from the Rockies

Here's my slow but steady progress on my Type X inspired S13 from the mountain state of Colorado. Hope you enjoy! This isn't a crazy in depth drift build with lots of fabrication, so you hardcore drift kids probably won't find it too exciting.

Here's a short summary of how I got this car - I originally came from the Roadster scene, and had a mariner blue NA. I loved it, but I needed a bit more space. I was always a fan of the RPS13, so I decided to find a good base to start with. Here in CO, finding a clean base is very rare. Eventually I received a text offering a trade for my Miata, and even though it was a bit hard on the eye, it sure was clean. As soon as I saw it in person, I was set! People thought I was crazy for trading, but I still haven't looked back to this day.

It's a 1991 240SX LE, and the previous owner built it for show. The interior was wrapped in Katskin leather, had a new pearl white paint, and not a spot of rust. Luckily those graphics were vinyl..haha.

As soon as I got it home, I began ridding it of all the decals and the Bomex lip kit. Somehow, I sold those wheels quick as well. Picked up some S14 stock wheels after finding out it was 5 lug. She cleaned up nicely!

And then began the Type X styling. I wanted to keep this car as clean as possible, so I didn't opt for replica parts. Everything is OEM for perfect fitment!

Rear garnish plate

Rear valences

Rear spoiler

That finishes the rear end! Onto the rest..

Had some crap coilovers on it for a month or so, looked better but rode like ass.

Front signals

Front bumper

Bumper extensions

Side skirts

180SX floor mats

Eventually mocked it all up/painted and installed

For a short amount of time there, my roomate lent me his equips to roll on while his car was under the knife. They were weak, but looked much better than stock SE's! Oh, say no to replica ganadors! haha

Unfortunately, I had a mis-hap on the highway returning from work one day. A work truck cut across a solid white line to hop onto an offramp too soon and kicked up two planks of wood that were on the side of the road. It nailed my bumper and fender, causing some minor damage but enough to piss me off. He kept going, but I was blocked by other people slamming on their brakes...needless to say, he got away.

Decided to finally get some wheels. I wanted to keep it simple, so I opted for some RPF1's. Specs were 17x9.5 +18 up front, and 17x10 +18 in the rear. Grabbed some Project Kics lugs while I was at it as well

Boosted the KA as well

Here was the final product for awhile

Then I figured let's attempt to make the front end a bit more aggressive. I was inspired a lot during this build by Brian Harts old type x. I loved the bumper cutout and BNR33 ducts, so I went that route.

About this time, I had split with my current girlfriend, and my room mate moved out. I decided to buy a house and focus on other priorities for awhile. Eventually, my buddy bought a house with an amazing 4 car garage, so he was nice enough to let me store my car there while I built it since my current house was piled with a bunch of crap.

So we tucked it in a corner, and I kept on building. I got a set of 57D's for awhile, but I wasn't too keen on them so they didn't last long.

Since it was an LE, it also came with HICAS which was a downer. I couldn't for the life of me find a non-HICAS subframe until one day a guy offered me that and some cash for my pair of gramlights. I jumped on that, and finally got this.

About this time, I pulled the KA and went SR for a short while. Resprayed the bay silver while I was at it

Finally went Z32 front brakes

My buddy picked up an S14 for awhile, but ran into some cash issues so he decided to sell it. It had some Ganadors, so I talked him into selling me them before getting rid of the car. They were for an S14, so they didn't fit perfectly but I didn't care at the time!

Then decided to opt out of the SR game, and try an RB25DET. Parted the SR out and bought an RB25DET from Tiger Japanese, but guess what came in? An RB25DE with a RB20 turbo slapped on it. What a freaking waste of money. Filed a Paypal dispute but somehow lost so I was shit out of luck. Thanks Tiger Japanese..

But before making any progress on that, my buddy with the 4 car garage decided to move to TN, so I had to get my car to my house finally. Home sweet home with my daily FC..

Picked up a Key!s wheel and digital cluster

I finally got sick of the S14 Ganador fitment, and found a set of S13 Ganadors. Sold the 14's, bought the 13's. Woot!

Then finally started to get my wheel game back on track. Bought a pair of 18" BRW03's from GTR-Garage, and sourced a pair of 17's on Yahoo J. Thanks again Kunio!

Ran out of space for images, so I'll continue on with the build in the next post.

Last edited by PW180SX; 10-17-2014 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar lol
PW180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Pirate117

Trader Rating: (0)
Pirate117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flawless execution, well done!
Pirate117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
ohh pretty.. thoughg honestly i'd run the bomex front lip and the type x rear spoiler and side skirts. just to change it up a bit.

sorry about tiger motor. they are reall shrewd.. i was all excited when i saw RB25det...
Old 10-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I really like what I've seen so far! Keep it up my man!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
excellent...execution is everything
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Nice! Sucks you got shafted with the engine, what's next in the works?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
defcon86nwh
Leaky Injector

defcon86nwh is an unknown quantity at this point
Your friend was a red haired hippy with a kid that looks like Chuckie?
defcon86nwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
beems240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
beems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wonderful job saving the car. Very well done!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
A local with taste, maybe this world is worth living in...
Old 10-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It's about time you made a build thread loll. Follow you on Instagram. I wasent sure what route to go with my car.

Then I saw yours =}. Had to go white with kouki aero.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #11
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dam I need to make a build thread soon also! But love the progress so far man!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
skimmpysb
Zilvia Junkie

skimmpysb is an unknown quantity at this point
well this escalated quickly!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
I'm a sucker for clean type x's and ganas. Looks great man.
va240dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks everyone for the comment so far! Made this thread a week ago but I guess it finally got accepted haha. defcon86nwh, LOL yeah thats him haha

Well lets see where I left off
Picked up a Yashio Factory shift knob

I mounted some tires on the 03's to roll around on till I got them relipped, so here it was

Eventually sourced an OEM lip. It's a bit rough, but I got it for a steal thanks to Jesse Streeter!

Finally got my new lips for the fronts thanks to Wheel Flip. Here's a before/after

Finally got to drive it around a bit. Went to a local drift comp but didn't compete. Still had HICAS!

After the meet

After being a spectator at that event, I decided it was about time I got my HICAS out of there. Since I was at it, I removed ABS. I got a Z32 BMC, non ABS booster and lines from a buddy of mine.

Here's everything that was removed HICAS wise

Put some new bushings in the subframe and some adjustable suspension arms and threw it in. They're Godspeed...but eventually I'll get something better. I just needed some adjustment!

After all that was done, the car felt completely different. I love it! First night test drive

I drove the car a few times, then realized it was time to retire the ol' Apexi coilovers. Decided to go with some PBM's

Here's after the coils settled. I love them so far!

All that time I was running around with stock KADE. Pretty boring if you ask me. But my buddy ended up parting his KA and going 1JZ, so I hopped on all his KA goodies. It's a basic setup but made the car much more fun! Plus I still had my Greddy FMIC hanging on my wall since the SR/RB, so I finally got to put that back to use.

When I eventually got it running. It's a blast to drive on 12 lbs!

That's where I'm at with the build today! Unfortunately I decided to steer away from lipped wheels, and go with something a bit more aggressive, light and one piece. I sold the BRW03's, and the new wheels should be here within a week or so. I'll update when they get here. Hope everyone enjoyed the build so far!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate117 View Post
Flawless execution, well done!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
ohh pretty.. thoughg honestly i'd run the bomex front lip and the type x rear spoiler and side skirts. just to change it up a bit.

sorry about tiger motor. they are reall shrewd.. i was all excited when i saw RB25det...
Unfortunately the Bomex front had a giant crack right down the middle, so it ended up getting tossed. It would of looked pretty cool paired with some type x though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I really like what I've seen so far! Keep it up my man!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPEPICS View Post
excellent...execution is everything
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Nice! Sucks you got shafted with the engine, what's next in the works?
Yeah, REALLY blows. But oh well, I eventually sold it and that helped pay for the rest of the goodies! haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beems240sx View Post
Wonderful job saving the car. Very well done!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
A local with taste, maybe this world is worth living in...
Haha, thanks man! I always get excited when there's some decent builds in CO as well. They're rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
It's about time you made a build thread loll. Follow you on Instagram. I wasent sure what route to go with my car.

Then I saw yours =}. Had to go white with kouki aero.
Hah thanks man! Whats your IG name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel mkiv View Post
Dam I need to make a build thread soon also! But love the progress so far man!
Yes you do! Your car was a huge inspiration, and your engine work lately is flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmpysb View Post
well this escalated quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by va240dude View Post
I'm a sucker for clean type x's and ganas. Looks great man.
Thanks man!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
There is a lot of good going on in this thread. Everything looks great, perfect street car
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
defcon86nwh
Leaky Injector

defcon86nwh is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good. If you ever visit ole dan let me know. I'd love to shoot it.

Last edited by defcon86nwh; 10-17-2014 at 11:15 PM..
defcon86nwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
An Type X build from the Rockies

Nismo_lk, was pretty sad when you sold the blitz wheels though =\. Either way can't wait for the new ones.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Execution execution execution execution

This is great.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
maxwellmercer
Leaky Injector

maxwellmercer is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good to see all the stages of this thing dude!
maxwellmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #21
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
There is a lot of good going on in this thread. Everything looks great, perfect street car
Thanks man! That's what I'm shooting for, just a fun good looking street car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon86nwh View Post
Looks good. If you ever visit ole dan let me know. I'd love to shoot it.
Sounds good man! When this car is somewhat reliable I'd love to take a road trip out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
Nismo_lk, was pretty sad when you sold the blitz wheels though =\. Either way can't wait for the new ones.
Oh nice! I follow you haha. I'm still having withdrawls but I'm pretty excited for the new wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Execution execution execution execution

This is great.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellmercer View Post
Looks good to see all the stages of this thing dude!
Thanks brotha!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #22
Ka24Power
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
Ka24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud ofKa24Power has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Thanks for your old lip! Car is on point.
Ka24Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
This is one hell of a build, insane turn around from the start. I think the only thing that could make this better would be a swap!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #24
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka24Power View Post
Thanks for your old lip! Car is on point.
Thanks man, and no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakville View Post
This is one hell of a build, insane turn around from the start. I think the only thing that could make this better would be a swap!
Thanks a lot man! I'm definitely thinking about an S14 SR this winter
Old 10-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
a.duong

a.duong is an unknown quantity at this point
amazing build, You had a boosted KA then sr then went back to ka? just to boost it again ? how do you like the ka-t?
a.duong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #26
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great build man, very clean. I'm also interested in your opinion on your KA-T given that you also had an SR. What turbo are you running?
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.duong View Post
amazing build, You had a boosted KA then sr then went back to ka? just to boost it again ? how do you like the ka-t?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Eight View Post
Great build man, very clean. I'm also interested in your opinion on your KA-T given that you also had an SR. What turbo are you running?
Thanks a lot guys! I was KA-T back in 2011, SR in 2012, attempted to go RB in 2013, then this year I decided to get a KA again so I could focus on the rest of the build, haha.

I really like KA-T as long as it's done right. My first setup in 2011 was definitely not done right, and it wasn't very fun. This current setup is fantastic though! It's a very basic setup, but here it is:

ISIS turbo manifold
S14 SR T28
PBM intake/Greddy filter
Z32 MAF
550CC's
Greddy FMIC
Excessive intake manifold
ARP headstuds
Enthalpy tuned ECU

Honestly I'd probably stick with a KA-T, but the aftermarket support for SR's is so much greater so I'll be switching again haha
Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #28
benarovi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
benarovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
post the new wheels i wanna see!!!
benarovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #29
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
jesus when i saw this i was like okay this build is gonna be shit.. NOPE. definitely delivers. sad you sold my favorite wheels tho. but thumbs up for ka-t!
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder what kind of numbers your putting down. I had the same ka-t setup and was always curious what I was putting down.
It never got to see the dyno unfortunately lol
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote