Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Carter91

Trader Rating: (0)
Carter91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bottom Mount Turbo Question.

I was wondering what is the biggest Bottom Mount Turbo I can do on my sr20???
Carter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
KevinEdgar
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
KevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to allKevinEdgar is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
real big one

http://milktea-man.com
KevinEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You should have searched this before asking, but I will spoon feed you I guess.

You can fit a t2 3071. Tons of back pressure, heat, and lag.

The proper option for a 'large' bottom mount is the gt2871 or gtx2867. You can make over 400whp with these options and keep your engine efficient.

Sounds like you have some learning to do before you go through with any major upgrades. Just doing basic searches and reading is the best thing you can do before you pop your hood.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Old 11-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
StrokedS13
Leaky Injector

StrokedS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump on an old thread...... I bolted up a Precision 5830 to my Silk Road bottom mount manifold 2 weeks ago. That is the highest rated turbo (600HP) I've seen that is available with a T25 flange. I had to do some re-clocking on both the compressor housing and the turbine housing to clear the manifold runners and get the fluid line fittings on, but the way it sits now is beautiful. As mentioned above, if you want to go big... either be ready to accept the lag time, or compensate for it with a stroker kit like i did
StrokedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Pics? I've seen some builds with a bottom mount 3071r but this sounds interesting
Old 11-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Or you can purchase a T2-to-T3/T4 adapter and use any turbo that physically fits.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedS13 View Post
Bump on an old thread...... I bolted up a Precision 5830 to my Silk Road bottom mount manifold 2 weeks ago. That is the highest rated turbo (600HP) I've seen that is available with a T25 flange. I had to do some re-clocking on both the compressor housing and the turbine housing to clear the manifold runners and get the fluid line fittings on, but the way it sits now is beautiful. As mentioned above, if you want to go big... either be ready to accept the lag time, or compensate for it with a stroker kit like i did
still such HP numbers going through a T25 opening , ...

do you have an EGT gauge? where is the sensor? what's it say?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
StrokedS13
Leaky Injector

I don't have any sensors or anything installed yet, the motor isnt even in the car. Still prepping chassis/driveline. Plenty of clearance as far as the motor/manifold side is concerned... i can't speak for the motor mount/steering rack side at this point. I plan on putting an EGT gauge on it, just not sure i want to deface my Silk Road Manifold yet...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Your going to find it difficult to install motor mounts on that side.

What clocking of the "turbine" housing did you do? As far as I know, the manifold outlet is a fixed point, you can't really "clock" it any where then bolting it up and it being what it is.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
StrokedS13
Leaky Injector

Yea, i figured i might have to notch something to make it comfortable.
I can't say I've looked at many turbos this closely, but on this Precision, there were 6 bolts that hold the compressor cover to the center section. These can be removed and it will allow you to rotate the compressor housing at a certain increments (due to the fact that two of these bolts must line up to also secure the wastegate flange). There are also 6 bolts that connect the turbine housing to the center section. Loosen these, and it allows you to rotate the CHRA in relation to the turbine housing. I should have made that more clear. The flange is still meeting the manifold at the same place, but loosening all 12 of the bolts on the turbo housings will allow you to rotate the compressor and CHRA in order to clear manifold runners, and move the fluid fittings to the right places.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What's the turbine inducer and exducer on 5830?
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I plan on putting an EGT gauge on it, just not sure i want to deface my Silk Road Manifold yet...
if you dont wanna drill on the manifold, take off the turbine side off the turbo, and drill and tap the EGT sensor near the t25 flange. same thing, plus it's thick metal there, so it's safe, you don't need to weld on a bung which you would ,if you were to do it on the manifold.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
2871r is probably the best turbo to run for the t2 bottom mount manifold.

I'm assuming you want to keep it bottom mount for stealth?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mispost....
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Your going to find it difficult to install motor mounts on that side.

What clocking of the "turbine" housing did you do? As far as I know, the manifold outlet is a fixed point, you can't really "clock" it any where then bolting it up and it being what it is.
You can rotate both the turbine and compressor housing relative to the CHRA.

I don't see a problem with that turbo as a bottom mount. I fit a GT2876R on my car for a while as a bottom mount, and with a little grinding on the engine mount it fit fine with a 4" compressor inlet.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
s13 drifta
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (105)
s13 drifta will become famous soon enoughs13 drifta will become famous soon enoughs13 drifta will become famous soon enoughs13 drifta will become famous soon enoughs13 drifta will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You can rotate both the turbine and compressor housing relative to the CHRA.

I don't see a problem with that turbo as a bottom mount. I fit a GT2876R on my car for a while as a bottom mount, and with a little grinding on the engine mount it fit fine with a 4" compressor inlet.
How much did you have to grind off the engine mount to fit a 4" inlet compressor housing?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't have any sensors or anything installed yet, the motor isnt even in the car. Still prepping chassis/driveline. Plenty of clearance as far as the motor/manifold side is concerned... i can't speak for the motor mount/steering rack side at this point. I plan on putting an EGT gauge on it, just not sure i want to deface my Silk Road Manifold yet...
you better follow up or imma come and shit on your doorstep
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote