Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
RRRRRRR Wagon (Not a Nissan)

Well. . . as time goes we all grow up, or at least most of us do.

I still have my other Nissans, the V8 S14 and the SR20DET S13, but having a family now and car seats for babies usually means no more fun daily drivers.

I was slowly losing my soul driving my Accord V6, 4 door. . . I've long driven Hondas for daily drivers just for reliability, but the older I get the more plain old cars just don't do it for me.

Insert the Volvo, and I'm sure a lot of you stopped reading right there and picard.jpg'd. But hear me out. I needed space for my two son (18 months and 3 months), and our two lab mix pups

After helping a co-worker wrench on his Volvo XC70 that we've done quite a bit, the hunt began. Now, my co workers XC70 isn't your typical soccer mom station wagon. We've installed a 3" downpipe, cat back exhaust, Hilton Stage 2 Tune, Geograpplers, and a few other things I've already forgotten about. Oh, and it's Plastidipped lol, because he's not a soccer mom.

I started looking for an XC70, and instead found a 2006, Volvo V70R, one of 823 made in 2006. These are 5 cylinder, 2.5 liter, turbocharged, 15 psi, twin intercooled, all wheel drive, hot rods (if you can call a Volvo a hot rod). Stock they are rated 300hp and 295 lb-ft, not too bad for hauling the family around!

4 piston Brembos on all four corners

Another difference between the V70R and the base V70 is that the V70R comes with 3 different suspension modes. The stock shocks are electro-magnetic, like many performance and exotics, and you would be surprised to know that a car this big, and this heavy can take most cloverleafs just a fast as my V8 S14 that has coilovers and thick ass sway bars.

The car was originally purchased by a dentist in SC, the majority of the maintenance on it was done by one of two Volvo dealerships. After purchasing it I wasn't able to find records of the timing belt, so that was the first thing I knocked out. The car had 133k on it when I bought it, the service interval is 99k-105k :/

After a switch to synthetic oil, a transmission flush, front diff flush, Haldex flush, and a rear diff flush I was rewarded with this, when these cars average 18-25 mpg.

Being a car guy, I can't just leave well enough alone. The car handles better than any daily driver I've ever owned, but there's still room for improvement, right? Caught a set of front and rear sways on sale, had to grab them. I ended up paying less for the pair than the front sales for by itself! The upgraded front sway bar is beefy and a mutha!

3 way adjustable

The sway bars have stiffened up the car more than I would've believed. That coupled with the electromagnetic shocks sets this car apart.

Recently while on a business trip for work I was in Cleveland, Ohio for two weeks. While driving around town the car suddenly lost power. Great. I'm 500 miles from home with no tools. Turned out to be a crappy plastic intercooler pipe that developed a tear. The hot pipe goes directly over the engine, which isn't the best design, but is the most direct route to the intercooler. I contacted Volvo, they wanted $260 for a plastic fucking pipe. Fuck that. A company called Do88 makes aftermarket parts for these cars, but they are a bit pricey. I was able to get a stainless over engine pipe by itself shipped to my hotel for less than the stock plastic piece. Of course I can't leave it alone either. . . I stopped by Summit Racing while in Ohio and picked up some Reflect-a-Gold.

There are debates on the Volvo forum whether I'm helping or hurting here. Most seem to believe that this is insulation. However, this material is 3 mil thick and doesn't hold heat in, it actually reflects 80% of radiant heat. With it being directly over the engine it was kind of a no brainer for me.

Had some left over, did the air box too, just to piss off the Volvo forum.

And because 300hp wasn't enough, it's time for a 3" downpipe

Updates to follow!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links