Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 07-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #1
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
kouki3monster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Trip to japan 2017

It's been a dream to head over to Japan. To drift at Ebisu. Does anybody know of what events, or best time to go? I also don't speak any Japanese. Anything would help, thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #2
wezurii
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
wezurii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As far as I know powervehicles offer some sort of package to drift at ebisu at certain events, you can take a look at that.
wezurii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

OK thanks will check them out

Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey I just got back from my first trip to Japan! Awesome experience. Similar to you it was my first time out of the US, don't know Japanese and was just excited for some traveling. I didn't go as far North to Ebisu but did visit all around Tokyo and actually rented an R34 GTR while I was there to drive to Fuji on some nice roads.

Honestly just Youtube a lot before you go, some pointers:
- Read up on cultural norms so you aren't a sucky American tourist
- Learn how to use the public transportation. Since I for the most part stayed in Tokyo area I just got a PASMO (look it up). Otherwise if you plan on checking out Kyoto and Osaka look into JR pass. Google Maps is extremely helpful with picking the right lines to take!
- Look into a wifi box rental. I chose this path over a pre-paid phone or SIM card. Super easy and relatively cheap (I paid the $30USD for a week of service) and you use your own phone.
- If you do rent a car, realize that most roads are piss slow (80kmh speed limits) and tolls are extremely expensive and can be confusing.
- Exchange rate can vary so I would wait until your over there to pull out yen, 7/11s are the best over there.

GTR I rented:

Good luck dude! I had a blast and would love to travel outside Tokyo more next time I go (hopefully soon). I have heard good things about Powervehicles as well but I don't have any personal experience with them or driving on tracks over there.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Make very sure that your credit card will work, and or get a shit ton of spare yen in cash. Like more than you could ever possibly need, id say like $2000 dollars worth( 200000¥)
Also get something to keep coins in, as they are obsessed with coins, as they really dont have small paper currency.
They dont really use credit cards over there to the degree we do
I supposedly got my credit card cleared to work, and only brought 500$ worth of yen, then when i got to my hotel my card didnt work. It was a weeklong trip, and i ended up not eating for like, the last 3 days......it kinda......sucked.
Also bring a friend so you have someone non-reserved/awkward to talk to and hang out with. You cant really just start up conversations with random japanese people.

I dont have friends, so i was alone, hungry, and had no money for like pretty much the entire trip. I had my JR pass though, so i still got to go wherever i wanted.

Also, at train stations, you will show your pass to the attendant to the side of where people put there tickets. If he doesnt understand how your pass works, go to these little kiosk things, and whoevers there will make you your ticket. I got into an argument with this passive aggressive old man, when he didnt know what to do with my pass (sounds like me being a dick, but bear in mind it made me spend my last 10000¥ to get back to tokyo) .I didnt know they had kiosk chicks who know all about it.

You dont really need that much japanese, as most people will immediately address you in broken english. I learned a bunch of japanese, but didnt really use it as everyone just kept using english.

I wouldn't be to concerned about social whatever stuff, as a lot of them don't follow it to the letter, and they understand that as a foreigner that you don't really have knowledge of all the trivial stuff they do. Just be polite. For instance, I didn't really take any pictures, because the travel book told me it was kinda rude if you got people in your picture. However, several times while I was there, schoolgirls and some other folks kept taking pictures of me directly, while I had my back turned. I don't really give a fuck, but by travel book standards that would be rude or some shit. You will kinda see a flash and then hear giggling, especially if you look a lot different than japanese peeps (like me, a tall blonde). If you are tall you can navigate crowds easy, as you can see over everyone's heads
If you're with other people, rent phones, as your phone will not work the entirety off the trip, no matter where you are.

It'll be fun man, you can eat corn flavored ice cream, drink pocari sweat, be an awkward foreigner, and have middle aged japanese women make the conscious effort to sit next to you while on trains
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I just went in February (TAS) and I had a blast. I was in the Tokyo/Osaka/Yokohama area for the most part.

Japan is pretty much a cash society. Serious, The only time I had to pull out my CC was to purchase more expensive ticketed items. And I agree with kashira kureijii, bring some sort of coin purse. You'll thank us later.

Finally just be respectful and you'll be fine. A lot of people went out of their way to help me out with directions (my Japanese is rather basic, but they hit me up with the broken english).

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just FYI, you can pull out yen at a 7-11, just make sure your bank knows you are in Japan and that your pull out limit is a good amount. I do this weekly now.

If your wanting to drift at Ebisu, Powervehicles are your people. Can be a little expensive though.

As far as events go, there are many every month. Just go to whichever tracks website and use google translate to navigate, it works. Matsuri is 13/14 Aug and 12/13 Nov at Ebisu if you wanted to see a lot of action.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

OK thanks for all the help. I think I'll go matsuri

Old 07-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Matsuri so you can be around ppl doing the same as you
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki3monster View Post
OK thanks for all the help. I think I'll go matsuri

You're going to have a blast! I'm planning to hit up Ebisu for a drift matsuri in 2018.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

Dope I'll try to post if everything goes through

Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
pocket wifi was the biggest life saver for us. that and a portable back up battery for your electronics. (MAJOR ESSENTIAL - like don't even consider the trip without it.) i think i went through sakura mobile, they mailed my pocket wifi to narita airport so picking it up was as easy as finding the airport post office, and showing my passport.

google maps has a really cool feature that shows you what trains to take and when to get off etcetera.

be polite. (that will almost always keep you out of trouble)

coin purse and wallet large enough to hold yen without folding it. seriously they have a weird thing about folded money.

as stated earlier, cash is king.

oh yeah and the train system in tokyo is pretty much entirely subtitled in english
Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
STR8 H8N
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
It's been a dream to head over to Japan. To drift at Ebisu. Does anybody know of what events, or best time to go? I also don't speak any Japanese. Anything would help, thanks in advance.

me2

when you goin?

im down
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Shifty671
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (51)
Shifty671 is on the path to ruinShifty671 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 51 reviews
Try to check our Daikokou parking area on Friday and Saturday nights. you'll see some interesting cars. Sunday morning you will see more older generation of enthusiast and exotic cars like lambo and Ferraris. been here for three years and plan on staying another three. never been to ebisu but its on my list. I usually do Fuji because its closer to me. I'm sure you will have a great time!!
Shifty671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #15
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Generally speaking how much would it cost to rent a car to drift on the track or would you have to buy a car and sell it back, or store it in Japan?

I am looking at some directions from Narita airport to Ebisu and it looks like it'll cost about 115,000 YEN with public transportation, is that normal?
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeapple8 View Post
Generally speaking how much would it cost to rent a car to drift on the track or would you have to buy a car and sell it back, or store it in Japan?

I am looking at some directions from Narita airport to Ebisu and it looks like it'll cost about 115,000 YEN with public transportation, is that normal?

I have a friend that rents out drift cars to Fuji Speedway. I cant remember the cost off the top of my head, but it varies with what type of car. (options are SR20, 1JZ, 2JZ? I think...) If you are interested I can give you his information.

Also, are you asking if 115000 yen from Narita to Ebisu is too much? Because that is a crazy amount.... Hell if you are looking to pay that much to get there ill drive you lol.
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
rj180sx

rj180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.driftschool-jp.com/e/driftlesson.html

Here is team orange drift school, its quite expensive. Its at Ebisu as well.

I've been to Ebisu a few times but never a matsuri, but I think its the best time to go.

Ebisu is open everyday, you can contact PowerVehicles for more info.

If your interested I can make some calls and ask some of my friends if theyre willing to rent out their missles up there, as they have done it a few times.
rj180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #18
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeapple8 View Post

What in the hell man... Get an international license, and rent a car. That will be MUCH cheaper.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
I have a friend that rents out drift cars to Fuji Speedway. I cant remember the cost off the top of my head, but it varies with what type of car. (options are SR20, 1JZ, 2JZ? I think...) If you are interested I can give you his information.
i'm going back to japan for new year's this year, i'll be there for about a week. i was looking into heading up to ebisu or tsukuba depending on where we end up staying.

fuji speedway might not be too far for us, do you have a link or any info on your friend's rental business?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 AM   #20
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Also if you are interested in a drift missile to buy and store at ebisu. I have a buddy trying to getting rid of his old machine because he got a different one. It's a Jzx90 r154 1jz

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
dino6192
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Go with friends. Don't only go for the drifting, it's WAY over priced anyways. Unless you have a few thousand per day for a haggard drift rental! The food is honestly the best part.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey when are you planning on going? I might be going late April-early May, would like to check out drift matsuri.

Last edited by Mintyboy; 03-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Missing word
Mintyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #23
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have an R33 GTST in amazing shape for sale. It only needs one coupler that burst right at the end. Storage is covered until spring matsuri at Powervhicles in Ebisu.
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #24
MiamiGrinch240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
MiamiGrinch240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great thread, been planning a trip to Japan ever since I visited California for JGTC/D1 in 2004. Was lucky enough to hang out with Team Orange & party with them after Kumakubo won the competition with his S15. Trying to fly out for TAS in 2017 but more than likely I won't be able to afford it until 2018. I have a friend in the Marines but he is in Okinawa. Would love to rent an R34, by far my favorite Skyline. That must have been so much fun!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintyboy View Post
Hey when are you planning on going? I might be going late April-early May, would like to check out drift matsuri.
Hey I'm going November 10,11 for the drift matsuri. I already bought my plane tickets. Did you get a chance to go?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Hey I'm going November 10,11 for the drift matsuri. I already bought my plane tickets. Did you get a chance to go?
Hey, did not get a chance to go cause of work. But maybe this year might be the year. Was talking to friend about going maybe around september since tickets cheap then, maybe i'll try to push it till November lol.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #27
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintyboy View Post
Hey, did not get a chance to go cause of work. But maybe this year might be the year. Was talking to friend about going maybe around september since tickets cheap then, maybe i'll try to push it till November lol.
That's awsome. I can go November and the tickets are 700 round trip. Hopefully I can find a ride and pitch gas money from Narita airport to ebisu.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #28
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
where in the hell are you finding tickets for 700 bones round trip? my parents wanted me to go with them last November so I could see my brother. Their tix were like 1800.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
kouki3monster
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
where in the hell are you finding tickets for 700 bones round trip? my parents wanted me to go with them last November so I could see my brother. Their tix were like 1800.
Go to expedia.com. it's was 700 from lax to Narita airport.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #30
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
cool. thanks!
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote