Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
driftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How-to: S13 JDM Digital Climate Control

I installed the JDM S13 DCC in my daily this weekend and figured id do a write up on it. As a basis i used this post on NICO by Beatupsx http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=160285
I will try do go more in depth to make this install more simple. Some words will be quoted from that post.
^^ This write up is way more printer friendly, i suggest if you have a good idea of what you need to do print that thread and refer to mine if you have any questions, there are slight differences.

Here is the list of parts you will need.

1. JDM S13 Digital climate control unit

2. JDM S13 Digital climate control sub-harness

3. JDM S13 Blend door actuator
^^JDM only parts^^

4. Blower motor speed controller, i used the JDM S13 one, you can also use one "from a 92 Q45 but most mid 90's maxima with automatic climate control should work to"

5. Optional** JDM Thermo control amp ( i used the stock one with no modifications, not sure if it would change anything)

6. JDM aspirator tube(connects air box to cabin temp sensor) also from "mid 90's maxima with automatic climate control"

SENSORS
1. JDM Ambient air temp sensor ("you can get it from a 91 pathfinder and most mid 90's maxima"

2. JDM Cabin air temp sensor ("most mid 90's maxima")

3. JDM Sunload sensor ("most mid 90's maxima")

INSTALLATION

1. Wiring
The wiring for the DCC is very simple and can be done without any trouble. The only JDM wiring you need is the harness that plugs into the DCC unit. The sensors will plug into that and if you have the sensors with connectors it will make the install easier. There are 3 power wires and one ground that have to be spliced into the harness.

1. Constant +12v power. This wire is the single red wire with a single plug on the JDM DCC harness. I spliced this into the memory wire for the radio, it is Red/black stripe on the USDM chassis side of the radio harness.

2. Ignition on +12v power. This wire is Blue/Red stripe and is on the small 6 wire connector on the JDM DCC harness( see below ). I spliced it into a blue wire on the USDM Radio connector on the dash harness that has power with the ignition on.( see above)

^^ 6 wire connector

3. Ignition on +12v power. This wire is the Green/white stripe on the small 6 wire connector( see above). This wire can be disconnected at the 6 wire connector and re pinned into the large 16 pin connector( see below) in an empty spot. This spot has ignition on +12v that is already run the the USDM dash side so all you have to do is plug it in and it will work, no soldering.

4. Ground wire. This is the last wire you have to run. On the USDM side of the 16pin climate control connector there is a Red/orange stripe wire that needs to be grounded.( see below) I cut the wire a few inches from the connector and attached a ground eyehook and bolted it to the dash frame.

nissan tech

Last edited by driftenthusiast; 08-21-2007 at 07:54 AM..
driftenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

driftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to all
Now you need to remove the bottom of the Air box in order to install the Aspirator tube for the cabin air temp sensor. This is very simple as well. I installed the DCC with the dash off and i think it makes it a lot easier to install. Here is the difference between the USDM and JDM airbox.

JDM aspirator tube connected to the Air box

Next you can install the Blower motor speed controller. You just unbolt the USDM one and bolt up the JDM one with no modification. It will plug right in as well the connector is just turned 90 degrees.

Picture of difference, JDM on right, USDM on left. JDM is 3 wire and USDM is 4, but the connector will plug in.

Mounting the Blend door (hot/cold)Actuator comes next. You have to make brackets to hold it in place of the USDM cable. I will outline this with pictures as they tell you everything you need to know

nissan tech

Last edited by driftenthusiast; 08-21-2007 at 07:58 AM..
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
MyLevinGTZ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
MyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura aboutMyLevinGTZ has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you have sausage fingers!

looks good man. glad you were able to get it in. work good? yeah, i'm posting in the middle of your write-up. i need to find another digi controller now lol j/p man

good on you.
MyLevinGTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

After you make the bracket and bolt the unit up you need to hook up the linkage. The JDM linkage is flipped from the way the USDM one screws in, the picture below will show exactly how it needs to be hooked up.

^^ Picture taken from passanger floor^^

After this you have to notch the duct to send air the the passenger feet

All that is left now is to install the sensors. My unit came with all the sensors with plugs so i only had to mount and connect the sensors to the JDM DCC harness with no wiring needed. Go to beatupsx's thread that is linked at the top of the page if you need to find out wiring colors.

1. Sunload sensor. For this sensor you have to cut a hole in the top vent plastic and clip the sensor into place. Once you have it mounted just connect up the wires to the harness and it should work.

2. Ambient Temp sensor. This sensor needs to be mounted in the grill area of the car and have wires run to the DCC unit.

3. Cabin air temp sensor. The cabin air temp sensor hooks into the end of the Aspirator tube that goes into the bottom of the airbox. You can mount this anywhere you think is a good spot. You need to attach it to any spot on the dash area and cut slits for it to pull air through.

After you hook up the sensors and bolt the unit in the car you will have a fully functioning JDM DCC!!!

Write up is done, i will be reviewing and editing if anything is incorrect or confusing

Quoted from "Dammitboy"

"
To run a self-diagnostic for the DCC:
Turn engine on. Within 10 second of starting engine, press and hold ‘OFF’ button on the ACC for 5-10 seconds until all segments on the display light up.
Test 1- Display Test. Look for any missing segments or icons
Press Up arrow to get to Test 2.
Test 2 – Input signals from each sensor Wait a couple seconds and it’ll display error codes (20=all ok, 21=ambient, 22=in-vehicle, 24=intake, 25=sunload (test in sunlight to prevent this error), 26=PBR)
Press Up arrow to get to Test 3 or Down arrow to get to Test 1
Test 3 – Mode Door Motor This test takes a little longer. 30=all modes ok, 31=vent, 32=B/L, 33=B/L, 34=Foot/Def 1, 35=Foot/Def 2, 36=Def
Press Up arrow to get to Test 4 or Down arrow to get to Test 3
Test 4 – Actuators Test Pattern Toggle modes 41-46 by pressing defrost button on ACC.
Test 5 – Temperature Readings Press defrost button to toggle through sensors (ambient, in-vehicle, intake in that order). If the temp is -22, then that sensor is not working. The temperature can also be adjusted to compensate for differences between temp setting and the temp felt by driver. It can be adjusted 6 degrees up or down. While in Test 5, press the fan switch and then the temp adjustment can be made using the Up/Down arrows.
Hit Auto button or turn car off to exit self-diag."

nissan tech

Last edited by driftenthusiast; 08-21-2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
very nice writeup bro, thanks for contributing to our great community
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Sweet writeup man. Any good place to source these extra parts? haven't noticed any pathfinders or maximas of those years in any junkyards.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
alright, i don't usually go in for this kind of stuff, but.. SICK. well done, nice writeup. i normally avoid silly extravagances like this, but wow, i really, really want that.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Damn, this would be sick to have. I don't time to try this out for myself. Anyone willing to do it to my car? I have the DCC control unit, that's it haha. I'll pay them + beer. yep
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
i just pulled an un-cut DCC harness and all motors/actuators/sensors from my s13 silvia front clip and was very careful when pulling cuz i know how valuable it is, PM and make a valid offer, i also have the DCC control unit, but ummm, it's not pretty with the LED display, it appears to look like the USDM ones, but it's in celcius and umm there is an "auto" button.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicoladron View Post
i just pulled an un-cut DCC harness and all motors/actuators/sensors from my s13 silvia front clip and was very careful when pulling cuz i know how valuable it is, PM and make a valid offer, i also have the DCC control unit, but ummm, it's not pretty with the LED display, it appears to look like the USDM ones, but it's in celcius and umm there is an "auto" button.
There is an auto climate control that is not digital, sounds like thats what you have.
Also as far as getting parts from USDM cars i wrote that in quotes because i havent looked for any of that stuff so im not sure if the person who posted that was right, i used all JDM parts.

nissan tech
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #11
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

Im not sure if anyone else on here has the DCC but does anyone know where to get bulbs for it? i Have two units and on one half of the bulbs are out and they look like the might be Nissan only parts, ive never seen them at any stores. Il post some pics up tonight.

nissan tech
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
BattleRoyale
Leaky Injector

BattleRoyale is an unknown quantity at this point
awsome writeup great detail with airbox and aspirator tube

to driftenthusiast most people swap the old bulbs with led's forgot which forum had a write up on it, think it was an austrailian forum

but it looks sick swapped out and you can get any color you want
BattleRoyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
BattleRoyale
Leaky Injector

here are some pics i saved on how to swap the led's pretty straight forward

Sorry for thread jacking

should look something like this

or

Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

Im gonna order the stuff today and do a write up on the LED's.

nissan tech
Old 09-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #15
BattleRoyale
Leaky Injector

cool what color leds are you gonna get?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
johnnc

johnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nice
DCC Help

Excellent write up. I installed my DCC a while back using your write up and various other "how to's". I am having an issue with my fan motor and hoping someone can help me. The only thing I did not replace during the install is the Thermo control amp.

The problem: I cannot get the fan motor to turn on and cycle through the speeds.

I have tried 3 blower motor controllers and I am stumped. I can get the fan to come on HIGH if I take a wire and put one end in the top left and the other end in the bottom left wires of the blower motor controller plug. I am using the 3 wire JDM blower motor controller.

Do I have a bad DCC?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
johnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

I know with the US Blower motor controller it will come on but only stay at one speed, that is what it sounds like your doing by jumping the connector. Did you just plug the Us connector in the JDM bmc?

nissan tech
Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
blackrms13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
blackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfectionblackrms13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackrms13
dang that looks so good together with ur head unit!!
blackrms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #19
johnnc

johnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nicejohnnc is just really nice
DE,

Yes, I replaced the US BMC with the JDM BMC (I have tried 3 of them) and used the US plug. The only way I can get the motor to come on is if I shove a wire in the top left and bottom left on the US plug.

I ran the self diagnostic over the weekend and the only error I am getting is with the ambient air temp (21). I have not looked at that sensor yet to see what is going on.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #20
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

I dont even have my ambient temp hooked up right now and everything works fine. All i can think is that the JDM bmc is broken. What do you mean by all 3? USDM, JDM, ???

nissan tech
Old 09-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #21
johnnc

I got my hands on 3 JDM BMC because I thought that was the problem. They were all used but I can't imagine all of them are defective.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #22
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
someday when i have heat or cool air im going to do this and it will be cool
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #23
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

I found out something new today. I looked at 2 93's and both use an actuator for the vent control door the is right in the way of where the hot cold door actuator needs to be. Im not sure what years had this, my 91 didn't, and i haven't seen anything about this in any other write up, but both 1993 240sx's i looked at today had it.

nissan tech
Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #24
CalPolyKing
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (45)
CalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CalPolyKing
Does anyone know if you have solider the new LED on the DCC. I cant really tell what was done on the picture.
CalPolyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #25
Ragnarok043
Zilvia Member

Ragnarok043 is making a name for him/her selfRagnarok043 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnc View Post
Excellent write up. I installed my DCC a while back using your write up and various other "how to's". I am having an issue with my fan motor and hoping someone can help me. The only thing I did not replace during the install is the Thermo control amp.

The problem: I cannot get the fan motor to turn on and cycle through the speeds.

I have tried 3 blower motor controllers and I am stumped. I can get the fan to come on HIGH if I take a wire and put one end in the top left and the other end in the bottom left wires of the blower motor controller plug. I am using the 3 wire JDM blower motor controller.

Do I have a bad DCC?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
i remember reading in one of the writes up that the problem is caused by the sensor grounding. you can test by unbolting the sensor while its running, it should stop running at full blast.
Ragnarok043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #26
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok043 View Post
i remember reading in one of the writes up that the problem is caused by the sensor grounding. you can test by unbolting the sensor while its running, it should stop running at full blast.
Yes, you have to grind down the fins on the thermo sensor. In most cases the fins ground out on a line behind it and cause the blower to run full tilt.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #27
Ragnarok043
Zilvia Member

Ragnarok043 is making a name for him/her selfRagnarok043 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Yes, you have to grind down the fins on the thermo sensor. In most cases the fins ground out on a line behind it and cause the blower to run full tilt.
actually it was your write up
Ragnarok043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #28
rongfk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
rongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i thought this would be a good link for this thread. too bad we dont have anyone to translate it...

"DSM on JDM DCC, but in Japanese"
http://www.ianm3igb.plus.com/180SX_1992.pdf

for sale: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=193169

-1990 s13 hb w/all jdm 180sx goodies... gone to fresno
-1985 ae86 gts turbo... going threw a heart transplant
-1963 euro ragtop bug... asleep in the garage

Luv 2 Build, Luv 2 Show, Luv 2 Cruise!....
rongfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #29
S13Boosts
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (12)
S13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
nice nice
S13Boosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
CalPolyKing
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (45)
CalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond reputeCalPolyKing has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CalPolyKing
Hey does anyone know why my vents dont cycle through. It worked for a couple month then it just started blowing through the bottom, it came back on for a couple weeks then it went out again.
When I did the diagnostics it came up with 31,32,34,35,36, on TEST 3.
Any help would be great, I have checked the wiring & fuses but nothing seems wrong.