Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-19-2003, 03:05 AM   #1
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
s13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wierd clutch problem

its kinda weird but here it goes... i had just gotten an SR dropped in my 93 hatch and i didnt have enough money at that time to get a new clutch to go with it... but i needed one because the one that it came with was totally fried...so i went to heavy throttle and it said that a 89 maxima clutch is the same as the sr clutch it was only 79 bux so i went ahead and got it...everything ran fine during the break in period and even after that because i havent gunned it at the time after... but i noticed that when im in gear driving under load, it makes the same sound as if i was in reverse..some what of a winding noise... and now if my tranny warms up hot, the clutch slips like a mofo... but when i start my car after its been sitting for a while, and drive off, the lutch grabs really good... i dont know what the problem is.. if anyone can help me, id greatly appreciate it... me and my buddy are going to take the clutch out and see whats wrong with it in the meantime, im also getting a stageII exedy ckutch soon... but i dont under stand because my clutch only has like a thousand miles on it...thanks guys...

-ryan
Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
sounds like theres no tranny fluid in your tranny. is there?
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

s13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfection
im pretty positive there is because we flushed, bled, and refilled it ourselves.. i checked the resevoir, and it was full... anyone else have any suggestions??
oh this is on a redtop by the way...
Old 08-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Andy5
Leaky Injector

Andy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dose it sound like a turbine? Before i dropped a bearing "tranny had 220k" on it, It sounded like a turbo prop airpline "kinda like a winedy sound kinda like reverse, then my bearings fell out and sounded like those kids toys that shot mini balls around
Andy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:35 AM   #5
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

haha... yes it sounds like the reverse sound... almost identical...
but it engages when i start her up and go...
not uqite from a cold start but enough to bring the heat to the second bar...but after a while in the damn cali heat right now, it slips... and it gets worst after driving it for a long time..but when i let it rest for a couple hours, it works fine... its like i have to bring the tranny to a cold temp before using it...

but when you found out about your bearing, did you change your whole tranny?? can you give me details about your problem??

and anyone else to that might know what it is, help me out... thanks again..

-ryan
Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
Eyescream
Leaky Injector

Eyescream is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you replace your throwout bearing and pilot bearing when you changed the clutch? If it makes the noise at idle in neutral with the clutch disengaged, and you press the clutch in, does it stop making noise?

My throwout bearing is worn right now, and it's doing the things I described once the engine gets warmed up. My car's kinda loud so I can't really hear if it's making noise while I'm moving.

If it is just a throwout or pilot bearing, it's not likely something you have to junk the transmission over, as those should've gotten changed when you did your clutch replacement.

Try replacing them before you do anything more drastic.

Last edited by Eyescream; 08-20-2003 at 08:18 AM..
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
agreed w/ eyescrem. the pilot bearing tends to make noise when its worn out and w/ a high milage engine those should be change. the pilot bearing is a bitch to get out. but it only cost $2. a throwout bearing should have came with your kit, and if you dont change it, you can damage your clutch kit because some clutch kits have different throwout bearings, although my spec clutch throwout bearing was the same as oem. (i compared, everythin was the same even the inscriptions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
Eyescream
Leaky Injector

Eyescream is an unknown quantity at this point
Not only is it noisy, it's *really* loud. Like rally car gearbox loud.
Eyescream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:33 AM   #9
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

it does sound pretty cool though... sounds like a supercharger too... hehe.. but anyways... ok those descriptions sound like mine... but would that cause the clutch not to engage at some times?
Old 08-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #10
Andy5
Leaky Injector

Andy5 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's prob something w/ ur throw out bearing, did u have the tranny and motor apart before u did the swap maybe the fork is off or not sitting right. or could ur slave cylinder not be working? I dunno, I sure hope u don't have to change trannys, sucksbig time. Ya i changed the whole unit, but ur problem dosen't seem like mine, cause once in a while i heard it get caught up in a gear and make a horried noise.
Andy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #11
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

cool thanks for your guyses help im going to check it out once comes monday (camping for the weekend )ill keep u guys updated..

-ryan