Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
VegasBoyz

Trader Rating: (0)
VegasBoyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 S13 ka24e Automatic Trans Driveshaft

1989 S13, 2.4L Single OHC, Auto Trans.

Swapping out the old high miles Ka24e for a newer Ka24de engine and Manual trans, will the Automatic drive shaft fit or should i keep my eye out for one out of a ka24de drive train/Manual trans.

" I Have all the electric Harness and Computer "

Still Looking for the Clutch Pedal, anyone has one email me or PM me.
VegasBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that the driveshaft wont work, also you need a clutch pedal, and brake pedal, among other things
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Lunghz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Lunghz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
you need a manual one, also make sure you get the abs one if your car is equipped with abs.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunghz View Post
you need a manual one, also make sure you get the abs one if your car is equipped with abs.
What he said. Also a manual driveshaft from any s13 will work since the e and de motors used the same transmission. It sounds like you need to do more research on the swap. There are several very good write ups on what you need and how to do a 5-speeed swap that you can find with a simple google search.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

you guys brought up something I didn't know.
I am swapping and my car is originally automatic. I have no idea if it has ABS
so which Driveshaft would I need abs or non abs manual one ? ( this is going on the RB20DET tranny )
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
It is very easy to tell if your car has abs or not (aside from the fact that the breaking feel is different) by looking under the hood since, if your car has abs you will be able to see the abs unit. Its hard to miss since its a big unit with several hardlines going to it but this link has a picture of what it looks like Identifying ABS - 240sxONE Forums. I think the picture is of a s14 but its the same in both chassis. If your car does not have that then you do not have abs. If I had to bet I would say that your car does not have abs since most 240s don't. The difference between the abs and non abs driveshafts is that the abs one is slightly shorter to make up for the longer abs differential. There is usually enough play to make a abs driveshaft fit in a non abs car and vise versa but you should still try to get the one that matches your car if you can. The fact that it is going on a Rb20 doesn't matter since the Rb20 uses the same transmission as the ka/sr.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

ok Thanks! I had no idea about that and could of ended up ordering the wrong part lol! thank you. Mine is NON abs.

Sorry to thread jack, but I have one more question.
is the auto 240 Differential VLSD or OPEN? I've been told it is an LSD, and other have said it's open..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Being an auto does not matter when it comes to telling if your car has a vlsd or not. Some autos have them and some manuals do as well. Factory vlsd's in s13s are pretty rare so I would be willing to bet that you do not have one. I'm also pretty sure that the vlsd option only came on abs equipped cars (was kinda like a special package) so the fact that your car is non abs if further evidence that you probably don't have one. Its always possiable that one could have been swapped in somewhere along the line so just use this test to see if you have one.
1. Jack up the car so that both rear tires are off the ground/ support car with jackstands
2.Take off the emergency brake so that the wheels can spin freely
3. Spin one wheel by hand, if both wheels spin in the same direction you have a lsd. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction or if only the one your turning spins you have an open diff.
Alternatively, you could also just go out and do a burnout and see if both wheels spin lol.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

ok thanks!