Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
coty_garcia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Formula SAE/automotive engineers

Anybody involved in a Formula SAE program at their school or an automotive engineer????
coty_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Although not FSAE or Baja, I actually started a smaller design team called VT Rally with some of my friends. We built an off-road vehicle to compete in UTV Rally Raid. Custom chassis, Raptor 700R engine, turbo by Garrett, 20" of suspension travel and 33 sponsors. All of this was done in just a year...which gave us no test & tune time and we actually didn't get a chance to race it :\ Next year's team is even crazier and building a vehicle to compete in SCORE racing.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VTRally
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

Damn, that's fucking sick. Have you taken it out for some fun yet?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
I haven't reached the FSAE program at my school yet but I'll I am seeking to join. It is a great opportunity.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty_garcia View Post
Damn, that's fucking sick. Have you taken it out for some fun yet?
Yes and it was a blast, ended up breaking part of drivetrain the day of graduation and now all of us have real-world full time jobs. Next years time got to have some fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
I haven't reached the FSAE program at my school yet but I'll I am seeking to join. It is a great opportunity.
You really should. But don't be a cookie cutter and put yourself in a position where you only design a lower control arm. Learn as much as you can, it's an awesome opportunity. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever have questions.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Moore
Leaky Injector

Moore is an unknown quantity at this point
That thing looks awesome and a shit ton of fun, how power would that make? I was part of the SAE mini baja team at my university as well, pic of it below. Ton's of fun designing and building. And I was lucky to be one of the drivers in the 4 hour endro race. I did a complete flip off a jump on my first lap, landed on the nose and rolled right over on the wheels... probably would have been wiser not to pin it on 1st lap but I get excited racing.

imo the off road looked more fun than the formula events. baja was wheel to wheel racing with jumps.
Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

That's how I felt as well but so much for that. Never got put on a dyno but based off some educated guesses...close to 90whp and weighing in at 1000lb. Hah! That's ridiculous you flipped it first lap, Baja is definitely cooler than FSAE from a driving perspective. FSAE just has awesome design challenges. Here was Virginia Tech's FSAE car last year. The aero package was epic.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
That formula car looks great. Thanks bmaddock, I'll shoot you a pm shortly. I was just accepted to the motorsports program here at UNC-CHarlotte so ill begin in the spring. I am definitely excited.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
That formula car looks great. Thanks bmaddock, I'll shoot you a pm shortly. I was just accepted to the motorsports program here at UNC-CHarlotte so ill begin in the spring. I am definitely excited.
Congrats man! I'm surprised not as many people are posting up in here, you'll have to keep us up to date on how that build goes. Last year's UNCC FSAE car looks awesome, the carbon fiber work looks really well done.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
What was VT's justification for the heavy aero? Looks menacing!

Can anyone share some exp in getting into the automotive industry after school? It's been almost 5 years since I've looked at any of my motorsports engineering material, but still looking for that automotive engineering job that doesn't pay only half of what Govt contractors make.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
What was VT's justification for the heavy aero? Looks menacing!

Can anyone share some exp in getting into the automotive industry after school? It's been almost 5 years since I've looked at any of my motorsports engineering material, but still looking for that automotive engineering job that doesn't pay only half of what Govt contractors make.
They had some awesome aeronautical engineers on the team that year. All handcrafted carbon fiber and the whole car weighed something crazy like 350lb, I can't remember exact numbers.

And not to be the only one responding in this thread but it seems getting into the motorsports division of the automotive industry is all about who you know. I have a few friends in motorsports I should try and get to post in this thread.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

I was reading that an aero package like that on the SAE car's is more or less not needed because they don't reach super high speeds, is that true?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Arrowking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Arrowking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not in college yet, but I hope to be apart of Clemson's FSAE program next year! Seems like a great way to continue in the automotive industry.
Arrowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
ADIDASilvias
Leaky Injector

ADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the roughADIDASilvias is a jewel in the rough
I was in FSAE 10 years ago... (has it been that long???)

It was a worthwhile experience, and I learned a lot about vehicle dynamics and design.

It doesn't necessarily apply to my current professional position, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't for your future profession.

I say go for it! There is plenty of fun and interesting education involved, as opposed to the other purely theory classes that you have to take in engineering that will never apply to the real world...
ADIDASilvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Enjuku Racing
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (29)
Enjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enjuku Racing
We have worked with a few SAE programs in the past. Helping supply parts and what not. I personally had a few Friends that were in it years ago.

This is the Kansas State SAE Car we helped last year.

Ken
[email protected]

Enjuku Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty_garcia View Post
I was reading that an aero package like that on the SAE car's is more or less not needed because they don't reach super high speeds, is that true?
Similar to tire choice, brake pads, oil viscosity, etc.. everything can be designed and tailored to race specifications. Although I agree with you in that the aero package was likely not worth the effort on such a low speed, open wheel car.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
coty_garcia
Leaky Injector

Kansas State's car looks pretty awesome.

I'm surprised there aren't many auto. engineers on here chiming in.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #18
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddock View Post

And not to be the only one responding in this thread but it seems getting into the motorsports division of the automotive industry is all about who you know. I have a few friends in motorsports I should try and get to post in this thread.
out of my graduating program in motorsports engineering, just about everyone works in the defense industry now. I only know one guy that started working for a motorsports lab at VIR, however he is transitioning in the DoD contracting world as we speak because he is fed up with being paid half as much as most engineers.
Back when I used to go to race events, I would try to talk to the engineers at the trailors after the events and get their insite. Many of them were just at the right place and right time with the right people like you had mentioned.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote