Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Brown Plug, 8 pin, 3 pins empty, cut and rewire as necessary
Red/Black - ECU relay ground pin controlled by pin 4 of ECU, connect to ground pin of ECU relay
Brown - Power source for all sensors, connect to switched power
Green/Yellow - AC relay, not needed
Black/Pink - fuel pump relay ground pin controlled by pin 104 of ECU, connect to ground pin of fuel pump relay
Green/Orange - park/neutral position to pin 35, not needed
what exactly does this mean?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #32
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad_s13.5 View Post
what exactly does this mean?
It means this connects to an ignition-switched power source.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
Tom25666
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Tom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
this is a noob question but how do i hook up the wire for the light on an after market boost gauge?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #34
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom25666 View Post
this is a noob question but how do i hook up the wire for the light on an after market boost gauge?
Not a noob question at all ~ you want the light to come on with the marker/parking lights as well as the headlights, so you just need to tee or splice into the green/red wire coming out of the S13/S14 turn signal harness. Double check as I haven't messed with gauge wiring for about a year, but that should give you +12V with the lights switch on the 'first' or 'second' click, and no volts on 'off'.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #35
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Depends on how much power you want to pull.

If you're just pulling a small bulb, then you can piggyback on the illumination circuit, like the radio illumination wire.

If you're looking to pull big power, like big strobe lights or other audio equipment, then run the illumination power to a relay and pull power from the battery with the relay.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #36
Tom25666
Zilvia Addict

Tom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choicesTom25666 has made poor choices
there is a green/red wire and a red/green wire lol. i'm looking through the wiring diagrams now but holy shit

*edit
use the red w/ green stripe wire. only comes on when lights are fully on
the green w/ red stripe wire is hot all the time, even with the keys out and lights off

Last edited by Tom25666; 03-28-2010 at 05:28 PM..
Tom25666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
misfitsfreak81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just a quick question... the yellow/red wire thats in pin #3 of the main ecu harness, the one the is labled "Tachometer Signal Output" what exactly does that connect to in the engine bay? the reason i ask is that im not getting a tach signal in the Haltech software and cant seem to find what component it goes to in the fsm. someone should have an answer on this. thanks in advance

mike
misfitsfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
there is a green/red wire and a red/green wire lol. i'm looking through the wiring diagrams now but holy shit

*edit
use the red w/ green stripe wire. only comes on when lights are fully on
the green w/ red stripe wire is hot all the time, even with the keys out and lights off
Whoops, guess I gave you the wrong color. Check for which one's hot with the marker lights/tail lights on lol, sounds like you're on your way.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #39
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Whoops, guess I gave you the wrong color. Check for which one's hot with the marker lights/tail lights on lol, sounds like you're on your way.
was this in reply to my question? it doesnt seem like it. anyway, my tach has always worked since i did the sr swap years ago. now that i have the haltech though its not seeing a tach signal. does the cas send tach pulses to the ecu?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #40
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsfreak81 View Post
was this in reply to my question? it doesnt seem like it. anyway, my tach has always worked since i did the sr swap years ago. now that i have the haltech though its not seeing a tach signal. does the cas send tach pulses to the ecu?
No, I didn't quote your post, I quoted the one above it.

In response to your question, no the CAS does not send tach signals to the ECU, the ECU sends tach signals to the Tach. If you can't get a tach output from the Haltech, there are many tach adapters on the market you can use.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #41
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
No, I didn't quote your post, I quoted the one above it.

In response to your question, no the CAS does not send tach signals to the ECU, the ECU sends tach signals to the Tach. If you can't get a tach output from the Haltech, there are many tach adapters on the market you can use.
its not that i cant get an output from the haltech, its that the haltech is not seeing a tach signal. the yellow/red wire from pin 3 of the nissan conector runs to pin 18 on the haltech 36 pin conector. there is continuity between the two and the conections are fine. im wondering where the tach signal comes from that goes to the haltech. in other words where would the oem ecu pickup the tach signal from to show that the engine is moving?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsfreak81 View Post
its not that i cant get an output from the haltech, its that the haltech is not seeing a tach signal. the yellow/red wire from pin 3 of the nissan conector runs to pin 18 on the haltech 36 pin conector. there is continuity between the two and the conections are fine. im wondering where the tach signal comes from that goes to the haltech. in other words where would the oem ecu pickup the tach signal from to show that the engine is moving?
The ECU *creates* the tach signal. The test pin for it in the engine bay is literally the same wire as the tach sees, which comes *from* the ECU. The rotational information from the engine comes from the cam angle sensor, which spins at half the RPM of the engine, and has a 'home' and 'trigger' signal, and the ECU fires the coils and injectors off that.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #43
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
The ECU *creates* the tach signal. The test pin for it in the engine bay is literally the same wire as the tach sees, which comes *from* the ECU. The rotational information from the engine comes from the cam angle sensor, which spins at half the RPM of the engine, and has a 'home' and 'trigger' signal, and the ECU fires the coils and injectors off that.
yes you are correct that the ecu sees engine rotation from the cas, this is also where the ecu "creates" the tach signal. directly from the cas. im pretty sure that i have my issues figured out. i had a bit of help from steve at shadowerks, we think that the cas is going in and out so its only working sometimes with no apparent reason as to why. i have ordered another cas just to be sure. in the meantime i have TOTALLY taken apart the cas and was surprised at how noncomplex the insides are. took it apart to clean it thoroughly. hopefully when i put it back together the piece of shit will work. if not oh well, at least i know what they look like and that they can be disassembled for cleaning.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #44
cavakilla

Trader Rating: (0)
cavakilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IIRC the nissan tach signal has a different pulse per second rate than most tach signals. i dont remember exactly what it is though. i am suprised haltech does not know this...
cavakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #45
ka24det92
Zilvia Junkie

ka24det92 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok you guys seem like you know what your talking about so i have a question i have a s13 black top engine but it runs on a redtop pfc it runs fine except the o2 sensor dose not read. When you look at o2 on the pfc it shows nothing. I was wondering if the o2 sensors are diff from a s13 red top to a s13 black top and maybe i need to switch some pins on the o2 or maybe switch some pins at the ecu. Every thing else runs fine i can see all my sensors except for my o2 any help would be great.
ka24det92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #46
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
don't the blacktop's run the fatter O2 sensor like S14's?

i believe that the skinny O2 meant for the redtop puts out a different voltage signal. whether or not that would cause the problem im not sure. hopefully someone else can chime in.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #47
ka24det92
Zilvia Junkie

thanks any help is appreciated
Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #48
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
don't the blacktop's run the fatter O2 sensor like S14's?

i believe that the skinny O2 meant for the redtop puts out a different voltage signal. whether or not that would cause the problem im not sure. hopefully someone else can chime in.
They do, but the signals are very similar as I recall. I ran a blacktop (fat) o2 sensor in my redtop for years, always ran the same. I don't think that's the problem.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #49
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
hmmm, i have no idea what it could be then. are you sure the O2 sensor is good?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #50
ka24det92
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
hmmm, i have no idea what it could be then. are you sure the O2 sensor is good?

maybe your right i might just need to get a new o2 sensor that way at least i know its good
Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #51
adamja87

adamja87 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a blacktop that im wiring up right now. not sure if this is discussed but i have (or what appears to be) multiple brown wires on the power interface side of the harness. the original plugs were cut off all the way down to where the harness branches off to the maf and powersteering switch etc. no tach check or coil #1 check. are all these brown wires wired together and then to 12v switched?
adamja87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #52
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamja87 View Post
are all these brown wires wired together and then to 12v switched?
I am hesitant to say. It's best to trace each wire to where it's going before randomly giving it power.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #53
adamja87

adamja87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
I am hesitant to say. It's best to trace each wire to where it's going before randomly giving it power.
well i traced the wires back and 2 of the 3 brown wires go to the boost control solenoid and the other valve thing on the ignitor chip bracket. the other brown wire goes to the o2 sensor im assuming cuz it branches off into that direction
adamja87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #54
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamja87 View Post
well i traced the wires back and 2 of the 3 brown wires go to the boost control solenoid and the other valve thing on the ignitor chip bracket. the other brown wire goes to the o2 sensor im assuming cuz it branches off into that direction
Do you have a question?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #55
LAFURIA2010

LAFURIA2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome.. exactly what i was looking for
LAFURIA2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
punn303
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (82)
punn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymorepunn303 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
very helpful......thanks
punn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #57
jvega
Leaky Injector

jvega is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a replacement harness for my sr sr20det, it has the Black/Purple wires for the fuelpump.. And the car will not start, im having this problem:
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/368662...p-problem.html
jvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #58
coupekidz13

coupekidz13 is an unknown quantity at this point
can someone please hook me uup with a s13 hatch dash harness diagram? The guy before me had ripped apart the ignition wiring for a push button start and i bought a OEM harness and have no idea what goes where. Thanks!
coupekidz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #59
GL Chrillz
Zilvia Junkie

GL Chrillz is an unknown quantity at this point
what does it mean "switched power"?
O2 Sensor Plug, connect to O2 sensor
1 - Brown, Power for heating element, connect to switched power
GL Chrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #60
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Switched power means that when you turn your key to different "switched" settings, it should get power.

Like On/Accessory/Start on your ignition switch.